AVS Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 24920 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
BTW, test patterns aside, I watched a bit of Tron 3D and the picture quality was STUNNING. Rivals IMAX 3D in terms of 3D quality IMO.

So anyway, how do these [grey-scale slides] look to you??....Do I have a bad TV??

Thanks!
In my humble opinion....

forget about grey-scale slides. Watch as much varied content as you can over the next several days...including your favorite movies, etc. If your reaction to real content is the same as your reaction to Tron 3D, then your TV is "good." :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is hhgregg a reputable option? They have the same sale going on as bestbuy. Salesman was willing to work on price...just curious if this a bad idea or not
HHGregg is a very good option. I bought my current TV from them, and as I remember the price of the TV that I bought at that time was a little over $2000, I told them that I could only pay $1800 including taxes, they said yes. It was all very smooth. For me the only con is that their sales reps are like freaking mosquitoes all over you bothering all the time. Trying to make a commission I guess, but yeah, they are good.:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi everyone,

First time poster. Been reading a bit on this forum (though not all 95 pages...). Just got my 65EF9500 wall mounted today. Here are my pics; I'm pretty much a noob at this so any advice is appreciated :)

Everything is at default settings except for picture mode set to Cinema. August build. TV installed an update so I assume it's the latest firmware...

BTW, test patterns aside, I watched a bit of Tron 3D and the picture quality was STUNNING. Rivals IMAX 3D in terms of 3D quality IMO.

So anyway, how do these look to you?? Seems like I have quite a bit of banding at 5% and 10% with some vignetting... this improves at the brighter levels but then there is a faint yellow band on the R side of the screen. I have yet to see any of these flaws in "real"content though.

Do I have a bad TV??

Thanks!
If it was me, I would exchange the TV. The yellow banding is pretty noticeable, does it appear in any content with a white background? The problem is once you see it, you can never unsee it. If you do exchange, there's a good chance you would get a September Build, which seems to have less issues. That's just my two cents from another Noob.......whatever it's worth.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Curious what people have to say about the attached shots of 5% and 10%. The dark edges have been noticeable primarily in things like menus (DVR, Roku), but I've also been looking for them maybe a little too much. The vertical banding has also been apparent a couple times. Anyone else having that issue? Tempted to exchange, but this may be pretty close to the average here...

Slides at 5% are pointless. 2% and lower is what counts.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I spent over an hour trouble-shooting a problem that may be of interest to other owners of anything with HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 ports (like the EF9500 line).
I finally tried connecting the signal path from my BD->AVR->TV only to discover I had video but no audio; the AVR and TV were both set to what LG calls Ultra HD Deep Color. The Blu-Ray player is old with no HDCP (probably something like HDMI 1.3). The only way I could restore audio was to turn off Ultra HD Deep Color on the TV; it didn't matter what the AVR was doing because the "sink" (TV) was driving the HDCP requirement (which the Blu-Ray player obviously didn't understand).
Once I upgrade to a UHD BD player I'll probably never have this problem again, but I'm sure this type of HDMI/HDCP incompatibility will be a big issue as people upgrade their signal chains (and buying a new HDMI cable won't solve the problem)!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,827
What is quality of upscaling 1080i and 720p from cable or satelite sources?
The TV does what it can depending on the quality of the source. For most 1080i and 720p content you can see the EF working to keep up if you get close. 1080p from Blu-Ray discs, again, depending on the quality, upscales beautifully.

Any problem doesn't seem to be the EF. It's the source. Silk purse, sow's ear - you know the drill. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I spent over an hour trouble-shooting a problem that may be of interest to other owners of anything with HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 ports (like the EF9500 line).
I finally tried connecting the signal path from my BD->AVR->TV only to discover I had video but no audio; the AVR and TV were both set to what LG calls Ultra HD Deep Color. The Blu-Ray player is old with no HDCP (probably something like HDMI 1.3). The only way I could restore audio was to turn off Ultra HD Deep Color on the TV; it didn't matter what the AVR was doing because the "sink" (TV) was driving the HDCP requirement (which the Blu-Ray player obviously didn't understand).
Once I upgrade to a UHD BD player I'll probably never have this problem again, but I'm sure this type of HDMI/HDCP incompatibility will be a big issue as people upgrade their signal chains (and buying a new HDMI cable won't solve the problem)!
Your Blu-ray player supports HDCP, not HDR. It is interesting that the HDR (Ultra deep color) settings will stop audio. Good to know.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Your Blu-ray player supports HDCP, not HDR. It is interesting that the HDR (Ultra deep color) settings will stop audio. Good to know.
Ultra Deep Color setting for HDMI devices does not equate to HDR.

The following is my understanding:

HDMI Deep Color has to do with the bit depth of the signal that is transmitted along the display chain. What this means practically speaking is which device in your display chain will do the color space conversion from the source YCbCr (4:2:0) to a higher color bit depth scheme as the signal eventually reaches the display at full RGB.

If your blu-ray does not support deep-color, then basically, you should turn it off everywhere along your chain between the blu-ray player and the TV for that HDMI port. If you blu-ray does support deep-color, then you would actually have to test with it both on and off (at the blu-ray player and your receiver) to see which setting produces a better result. Does your picture look better with your blu-ray doing the conversion....or the receiver...or the TV?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few pages back I posted a problem with no audio and I came to the same solution but I was getting no sound from my Directv box. I don't have a Genie and use the standard HD box so food for thought for anyone with Directv. Note, sound worked from my PC. Also, the TV doesn't like when my receiver up converts things to 4K as I get no picture, but not sure if that's the Directv box screwing with it again.

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
Gamma 2.4 pictures not 2.2 that hides faults ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hi everyone,

First time poster. Been reading a bit on this forum (though not all 95 pages...). Just got my 65EF9500 wall mounted today. Here are my pics; I'm pretty much a noob at this so any advice is appreciated :)

Everything is at default settings except for picture mode set to Cinema. August build. TV installed an update so I assume it's the latest firmware...

So anyway, how do these look to you?? Seems like I have quite a bit of banding at 5% and 10% with some vignetting... this improves at the brighter levels but then there is a faint yellow band on the R side of the screen. I have yet to see any of these flaws in "real"content though.

Do I have a bad TV??

Thanks!
Seems better than my yellow band.

If no one pointed it out to me, I probably would of never took notice to it. Now I find myself constantly trying to see if I can see it in real content, and there's been a few scenes where I can faintly make it out but only because i'm staring for it in bright scenes... This forum is a curse.

Your 5%-10% banding lines will completely disappear after ~300 hours of panel use, probably much sooner.

Curious what people have to say about the attached shots of 5% and 10%. The dark edges have been noticeable primarily in things like menus (DVR, Roku), but I've also been looking for them maybe a little too much. The vertical banding has also been apparent a couple times. Anyone else having that issue? Tempted to exchange, but this may be pretty close to the average here...
Dark edges seem slightly below average to me. Plenty of clear 5% panels, so i'd only imagine your 1-4% are worse than average too.

Banding goes away with time.

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
2.4 is used inna dark room so no point taking 2.2 pictures beliving the tvs are good ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my humble opinion....

forget about grey-scale slides. Watch as much varied content as you can over the next several days...including your favorite movies, etc. If your reaction to real content is the same as your reaction to Tron 3D, then your TV is "good." :)
That's very true. I just watched the Exodus and Life of Pi 4K HDR demos, along with the Samsung 4K demo (ironically), and all I can say is... wow! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor...

IMO, HDR should work better on OLED than any LCD TV, despite OLED not being able to achieve as high a brightness level. The perceived contrast with such deep black levels should outweight the sheer brightness achievable with LCD's. After all, it's called High Dynamic Range, not High Brightness.

If it was me, I would exchange the TV. The yellow banding is pretty noticeable, does it appear in any content with a white background? The problem is once you see it, you can never unsee it. If you do exchange, there's a good chance you would get a September Build, which seems to have less issues. That's just my two cents from another Noob.......whatever it's worth.
I ordered mine online and it would be a HUGE pain in the ass to unmount it from my wall, pack it back up, ship it back, and remount the new TV. Not to mention I'd probably need to re-hire the installers to unmount and remount the TVs, as I don't trust myself to mess around with a $5000 TV.

I haven't seen the yellow band appear on any real content, and I've been looking for it. Though tbh, I don't think I've seen much pure white backgrounds.

Is this something that can improve with break-in? Or maybe even a firmware update?

It is a bit disappointing that this TV has defects that maybe aren't so apparent in other people's samples, but I don't think I can go through the hassle of returning a TV that has defects which may or may not be apparent on real content, and in getting another sample which may or may not be better than the current one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I ordered mine online and it would be a HUGE pain in the ass to unmount it from my wall, pack it back up, ship it back, and remount the new TV. Not to mention I'd probably need to re-hire the installers to unmount and remount the TVs, as I don't trust myself to mess around with a $5000 TV.

I haven't seen the yellow band appear on any real content, and I've been looking for it. Though tbh, I don't think I've seen much pure white backgrounds.

Is this something that can improve with break-in? Or maybe even a firmware update?

It is a bit disappointing that this TV has defects that maybe aren't so apparent in other people's samples, but I don't think I can go through the hassle of returning a TV that has defects which may or may not be apparent on real content, and in getting another sample which may or may not be better than the current one.

I totally agree with you, all that work...and what if the next one is worse? If you are fine with what you see...then that's all that matters really. As far as I've read here...most people don't believe it can be fixed with a Firmware update as it looks like it's a panel manufacturing issue. The strange thing about this is if you stand to one side and look from an angle, it's totally gone! How long is your return policy? I would say live with it and see if you are fine...if so...put all the slides away and just enjoy the awesome TV!

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Didn't you get that backwards?

How much content exist at 2%???

Enough that having a clean 5% slide doesn't mean your panel is fine.

You'd be surprised how much content exists at 1 and 2% - a lot of the time from blu rays and content that have black levels a little too high. Watched American Sniper the other night and could spot immediately.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
TV doesn't drive the HDCP requirement, the initial source device does.

Ultra HD Deep is enabling 4:4:4 support which is video.

I'm also confused on your setup. You have an AVR, but you are using the TV speakers?

Ultra HD Deep is LG terminology and LG doesn't make AVRs. What kind of AVR do you have?

Also, BluRay's don't put out 4K or 4:4:4 (well, not true exactly, there is a Pioneer Elite that does).

If you have an AVR that can upscale to 4K @ 60Fps @ 4:4:4 that is a different thing... still dunno why you would use your TV speakers for audio though when going through an AVR.

Finally, only 2015 AVRs support 4K @ 60Fps @ 4:4:4 :).

·
Registered
327 Posts
2.4 with 53-54 brightness should be used in pretty much all cases for this TV. 2.2 setting provides an average of 2.13ish gamma, which is not ideal in any situation.

EDIT: Maybe if you live in a glass house. :p
I just changed to this with 53 for brightness.

WOW! It really looks nice.

2821 - 2840 of 24920 Posts