AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 24920 Posts

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
I have no problem at all with the faint yellow band for video since it is not visible at all and for computer use it is easily ignored. Had it not been for this thread I would have assumed some sort of reflection and thought nothing of it.

I had a Panasonic 1920x1080 plasma for many years and find the 4K OLED far better in every respect even though it has not yet been calibrated. Have never liked the lack of contrast and narrow viewing angles of LCD.

On balance a rejection seems a bit extreme but I'll await developments over the next few weeks.
If it's faint, don't worry about. Enjoy the tv, you got a good one. For those of us who are vocal about it, the yellow band is not faint, and it looks like a yellow piss streak.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Lastly the free faux K hdtv, is this thing really worth $700. You can get a Vizio just as cheap and it clearly would outperform it. If it didn't use the rgbw sub pixel structure and share every 4th subpixel between pixels I wouldn't be complaining at all. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm Then I know my current bedroom Panasonic 42S60 plasma would mop the floor with this TV is every category possible.

I can see how those coming from a LCD panel would see this as a massive increase in picture quality. From a top end plasma not so much. At the end of the day the LG panels will get better panel uniformity, color space for DCI and Rec.2020, reduced black crush, reduced pricing, increased panel brightness for HDR and hopefully better motion resolution! CES is awfully close and I will wait for Ultra HD bluray to available in the market and make a decision then. In the meantime I will stick with my reference level plasma.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1368523071#13
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p65vt65-review
https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-vt65-vt60-tx-p55vt65b-3d-plasma-tv-review.502
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp65vt65b-201306273079.htm?page=Performance
I mounted my "FREE TV" last night and it beats my 40" Samsung 1080P LED that it replaced, so it lives up to what I would expect for a $600 4K TV. It's no OLED we get it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I have some HDR files on USB. When I play them, "HDR IS ON" pops up for a few seconds on the top right.
That's a fact!

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
Hoping Lg ifa HDR vid gets up for a download ...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
That still isn't that great unfortunately. I can't speak for other 55" owners as I have a 65"... But I don't see issues until on my set until about 3% my attached is a 2% slide which shows slight edge on the right
Do you have yellow streak? That vignetting looks pretty good, im sure its not noticeable during content.
I do, but I've only seen it through a white test slide and only if I'm viewing the right side of my screen directly. Off angle which is where all of my seats are it isn't noticeable at all

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Taking a break today and watching some of the 4K and HDR demos as well as yesterday's Russian F1. I'm liking the 55EF9500 more and more with each passing day..... :)

Where do you get these demos.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone experience burn in issues?

Ever since seeing this set in person last month, it's been at the top of my list for my holiday bonus purchase. I got away from work at lunch today to check out the only BB store in my area with a Magnolia section so I could view this TV under more ideal and representative home theater settings.

Unfortunately, the top 55" display clearly had "LG OLED TV" burned into it. I'm guessing this is the start up screen for this set/display content and it locked up at some point. Being a marquee showroom set-up, I can't imagine it would have been stuck like that for more than a day (12 hours max?) and it worries me that the display is so susceptible to burn in. I do game a bit and watch a lot of sports where the HUD and score-box, respectively, will be stationary on the screen for long periods of time.

Anyone have real world experience with how this set handles stationary images for long periods of time?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Nice to read that someone finally called VIP customer service at LG instead of just returning their sets to BB with little hope of any resolution.
On a bright note, since BB is basically out of stock, we will find out next week if the problem is resolved. New shipment coming in on the 14th or 15th. These should be October builds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On a bright note, since BB is basically out of stock, we will find out next week if the problem is resolved. New shipment coming in on the 14th or 15th. These should be October builds.

Man, now I'm in a pickle. My BB exchange date is this Sunday the 18th....if I can be guaranteed to get a 510 build with no yellow....then maybe I should give it one last try, even though the yellow on my TV is super faint. Hmm...so is it guaranteed that I would get a 510? :(

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Man, now I'm in a pickle. My BB exchange date is this Sunday the 18th....if I can be guaranteed to get a 510 build with no yellow....then maybe I should give it one last try, even though the yellow on my TV is super faint. Hmm...so is it guaranteed that I would get a 510? :(
If you call them, they will schedule your replacement probably towards end of month. I called on the 1st, and have to wait until the mid october shipment comes in for delivery on the 20th. If you call them the 17th, you will likely not get a replacement until end of month, which would probably be the next October shipment. Seems they get new shipments once a week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you call them, they will schedule your replacement probably towards end of month. I called on the 1st, and have to wait until the mid october shipment comes in for delivery on the 20th. If you call them the 17th, you will likely not get a replacement until end of month, which would probably be the next October shipment. Seems they get new shipments once a week.
That makes sense...I just feel like I'm tempting fate by doing this. The yellow band I have is pretty faint...but knowing it's there bugs me at times. For $5000, it just shouldn't be there. I'd be so pissed if I got an 510 with a worse yellow...or even same yellow! I'm at almost 150 hours on this one....

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
That makes sense...I just feel like I'm tempting fate by doing this. The yellow band I have is pretty faint...but knowing it's there bugs me at times. For $5000, it just shouldn't be there. I'd be so pissed if I got an 510 with a worse yellow...or even same yellow! I'm at almost 150 hours on this one....
The other option is wait a month and call LG. If indeed the 510 panels are fixed, then they would send a tech to replace your panel.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The other option is wait a month and call LG. If indeed the 510 panels are fixed, then they would send a tech to replace your panel.
I think this is the best course of action IMHO. Though going through best buy may get you the panel sooner, I almost think it would be a safer bet to get it directly from LG. This is why I went with CP and not best buy, one it was cheaper and I'm not one for going through massive amounts of exchanges to get what I want when it comes to something this large. Unless it was 100% certain you were getting what you want on the 2nd one, getting it from LG saying this is specifically what I want seems to be a safer bet, since they are coming to address the issue you're having to begin with.

Which is my plan for the vignetting. If it improves more I'll probably just keep what I have unless it is resolved later down the road with other panels.

Reactions: Tomcup

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, I would rather have a new one than a "fixed" one. I wonder what my true BB replacement window is....I've had 2 separate start dates...once with the exchange, and then again when I went to get the Free 49" LG, they had to return and resell. Maybe during that time my window time period changed....time do some investigation....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well folks after spending some time watching specific content on a 65 OLED yesterday from I am waiting another year till they get the bugs out. I bought in Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises and Dial M for Murder. It is a very nice display, but after comparing to my 65VT60 Panasonic plasma I don't see it as an improvement at all. It does blacks better yes, but at the expense of black crush. the VT60 has nothing short of superb shadow detail. Blacks aren't as good admittedly, but reference level none the less. In a darkened room the letterboxing is so dark you would have a hard time telling where the TV is.

There is a weird stuttering issue with this set on 24 fps content. I put dejudder to 2 and deblur to 10 and for the most part things looked good. Just a minor amount of soap opera effect. Putting in chapter 18 of Skyfall where Bond and Silva walk out in the open yard of the abandoned island there is massive stuttering where the motion should be smooth. Putting the dejudder to 7 greatly decreases this but with massive soap opera effect. Motion in general is weak compared to the VT60. A lot weaker, when set to 96 kHz mode for 24P content the VT can deliver 800 lines in motion, putting the motion smoother to weak with no visible soap opera effect at all it can deliver a full 1080 lines in motion. The LG delivers 300 lines in motion or 650 with the trumotion turned on. This needs to be improved. Samsungs OLED did 1080 lines with either MCFI or BFI independently. Movies are cut so fast today handling motion well is more important than ever.

The LG delivers a very pleasing picture in the cinema or ISF modes, skin tones are very pleasing but the VT60 is no worse and has extensive calibration settings. We already know the color accuracy of these sets is outstanding.

Now we get into what many critics have said is the biggest problem with these sets and it is panel uniformity. They clearly haven't gotten the bugs out yet! Enough said, there are 125 pages full of data.

Lastly the free faux K hdtv, is this thing really worth $700. You can get a Vizio just as cheap and it clearly would outperform it. If it didn't use the rgbw sub pixel structure and share every 4th subpixel between pixels I wouldn't be complaining at all. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm Then I know my current bedroom Panasonic 42S60 plasma would mop the floor with this TV is every category possible.

I can see how those coming from a LCD panel would see this as a massive increase in picture quality. From a top end plasma not so much. At the end of the day the LG panels will get better panel uniformity, color space for DCI and Rec.2020, reduced black crush, reduced pricing, increased panel brightness for HDR and hopefully better motion resolution! CES is awfully close and I will wait for Ultra HD bluray to available in the market and make a decision then. In the meantime I will stick with my reference level plasma.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1368523071#13
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p65vt65-review
https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-vt65-vt60-tx-p55vt65b-3d-plasma-tv-review.502
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp65vt65b-201306273079.htm?page=Performance
This this and this. Well said.

3741 - 3760 of 24920 Posts