AVS Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
There was a few people a while back I remember asking how they would know if the tv was making its adjustments after it was shut off and most were saying to listen for the clicks. That works but I noticed last night that there is a red light showing from the back of mine after the tv is turned off but making adjustments. I believe it's the optical light showing but couldn't get far enough behind the tv to be sure. All I know is it stayed on until the final clicks.
When the LG Logo stays lit up after turning off the TV, it is compensating. Usually lasts about 1.5 minutes, after which there is a 'click' and the logo fades to off...

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
in regard to the yellow band...

Is it possible to bend the panel from curved back to flat? I ask because i was wondering if anyone knows if they could be possibly using pre-manufactured panels that were molded to be curved after production, coating applied and then RE-pressed flat..

If that is possible, would it also be possible the spot of the yellow band, which would be toward the half way point to the apex of the curve could it be the coating being over stretched during the pressing flat process if it was previously applied on the curved and that is causing the ribbing and unevenness to the section of the 65'' panel?

Of course i could be out in left field as my imagining of what it could be is based on a hell of a lot of "What if's"
No.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
When the LG Logo stays lit up after turning off the TV, it is compensating. Usually lasts about 1.5 minutes, after which there is a 'click' and the logo fades to off...
The LG logo on the 9500 does not stay on while compensating. I have never seen it stay on after turning off. I usually hear the click 8 to 10 minutes after turning off the tv.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
There was a few people a while back I remember asking how they would know if the tv was making its adjustments after it was shut off and most were saying to listen for the clicks. That works but I noticed last night that there is a red light showing from the back of mine after the tv is turned off but making adjustments. I believe it's the optical light showing but couldn't get far enough behind the tv to be sure. All I know is it stayed on until the final clicks.
Yes, that's the optical port you are seeing.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
So it appears that even with 3D mode enabled my AVS HD disc keeps the same brightness setting of 54 with a gamma of 2.4.

I have my oled light cranked up to 100 for 3D viewing to compensate for the glasses. Is this okay or is that just too much and will cause extra wear on the TV? My 2D OLED light is set at 42.

Also, I am messing with 2pt settings. Can I just keep the low 2pt at 0 and just change 2pt HIGH? I don't mess with green, just red and blue.

Thanks guys
Anyone?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another example of real content where the yellow band rears its head. This is a 65" 508 (August) build FWIW. B&W is always a problem as well. All white shots like this it shows up.

First is shot from viewing position. Second is same, from about 45 degrees. From YouTube 4k climbing icebergs GoPro clip.

I will be exchanging: Love this TV, hate the yellow band.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Another example of real content where the yellow band rears its head. This is a 65" 508 (August) build FWIW. B&W is always a problem as well. All white shots like this it shows up.

First is shot from viewing position. Second is same, from about 45 degrees. From YouTube 4k climbing icebergs GoPro clip.

I will be exchanging: Love this TV, hate the yellow band.

Does the TV really take on a bluish tint when viewed off-angle like that or is that the camera's fault?

·
Registered
437 Posts

Lol I didn't even notice that thanks though.

Edit : guess I spoke to soon before I read the rest of the posts @wxman seems to think it doesn't stay on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As far as football, I turn off motion as it's already at 60 fps. In fact, trumotion on, causes issue with sports.
The NFL is broadcast in 60 fps?!?! Really?

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
The LG logo on the 9500 does not stay on while compensating. I have never seen it stay on after turning off. I usually hear the click 8 to 10 minutes after turning off the tv.
Interesting. 4 times more subpixels than the 55EC9300 but 5-7 times the duration of power-off compensation...

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
1080i is also 60fps (interlaced).
Are the tv shows on those networks recorded at 1080p24? Perhaps thats why trumotion needs to be on to reduce judder. With live sports its 60fps, and judder is really not and issue, so you can leave dejudder at 0 and set deblur to 9 or 10 to improve blur.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have having a heckuva time trying to accurately calibrate gamma. This is due to luminance constantly changing. Try this:

1) Warm the TV up for 15 or so minutes by playing normal content.
2) Take a reading for 100% white screen (windowed). Leave the white window on for one minute.
3) switch the pattern to something different (to defeat asbl).
4) switch back to the white pattern and take another reading. It will be higher than the initial reading.

Alternatively, you can take a continuous reading of the white window, and watch the luminance rise steadily.

The change in luminance will affect the accuracy of gamma calculations.

Have you experienced this?
No I have really experienced any of this

1) Warm the TV up for 15 or so minutes by playing normal content. With any emissive display I let it run at least an hour to 2 hours before I start calibrating. Just turn on the TV and go about my business, usually by the time I start and set up etc, 2 hours or so have passed.
2) Take a reading for 100% white screen (windowed). Leave the white window on for one minute. All the work flows I have in CalMan have a 100%W window that I take a reading of first
3) switch the pattern to something different (to defeat asbl). I bring up the TV menu, or switch it to a complete black patch, if I know it's close to the time kicking in
4) switch back to the white pattern and take another reading. It will be higher than the initial reading. I haven't had this problem, I'll check again though and let you know.

Reactions: JoeyBagadonuts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gunna take a while to calibrate it out the way I like (and the only way I can without equipment) with wide color and high black level. But still looks amazing with a few adjustments.
Hey Tomcup
Thanks for the info on your settings and findings. I set mine up now just the way you have here. The one thing I didn't stick with was the High black level. I have a slideshow of sceenshots from the hi-res Fallout 4 trailer on my desktop. And as soon as I set it to High Black all of the supposed to be black areas on the shots became a washed out dark grey. Kind of like an LCD, awful, just awful. So, I switched it back and now those shots show the inky blacks of this OLED
:cool:

Reactions: Tomcup

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm probably going to be getting a SquareTrade 5-year warranty for my 65EC9300.

It only gives you coverage up to the replacement value of the TV, but with these OLEDs being replaced with new models yearly, repair is not so likely after 1+ year anyway, so on a practical basis, it translates to a full refund if anything goes wrong for up to 5 full years.

It's transferable if you sell the TV and for $89, the price sure can't be beat ;)
On SquareTrade's website, you could only go up to a $2,999 television. I didn't see a way to go up to the real value of this set.

4481 - 4500 of 24800 Posts