AVS Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looking for an opinion.

Using the AVS disc, I can see there's quite the difference between Brightness 54 and 55 on this TV. Other settings like OLED light and contrast have no affect on this particular dilemna whatsoever.

At the setting of 54, 1% near-black is pretty much pure black on my screen. At 55, you can see the 1% now but at 0% black you can very, very, very slightly see it also.

So, do you think it's better to slightly crush the black at 54 or would you go with 55 so that you can at least see the 1% with the expense of also barely seeing it at 0% pure black as well?

Makes me wish there was a 54.5 setting, lol.
By using an Oppo BD player, you can easily get that .5 by using the picture adjust menu within the Oppo itself for finer adjustments. It's been working perfectly for me over the last 14 months with my 2nd Gen OLED LG 9300. (any outboard processor would also do the trick, DVDO,etc.)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Wow this thread is crazy, all these TV exchanges, you guys should really just get full refunds if you can this panel lottery thing doesn't seem to be working out
Hey! You're back :eek:! Did you get all mad that the TV you claimed was going to be $5500 for the 55" for the next 2 or 3 yrs or longer instead plunged like a rock and can now be gotten for ~ $2400 like everybody told you it would? :D

Thought you bought some LCD with flash lighting and halo'ing and no off axis viewing and no blacks and left us all behind? :confused:

On a serious note, *shrug*, my 55" doesn't have any issues. Even threw away my box yesterday.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't get too hung up on sillysally's technique. One constant - do not increase Green at 100%. Other than that, use Green and all other controls to adjust Gamma and RGB balance but do your best to keep adjustments within reason. The EF controls are better than previous LG OLED models but not great by any means. Large adjustments can be detrimental to other picture aspects.
Thanks - really appreciate the input Buzz

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. As I said, a solid gray background is still much preferred to vignetting.
Agreed, but solid black is preferred to solid gray.

Let me put this another way. Showing this particular trailer with slightly crushed blacks is a much better experience on the OLED than it is on an LCD that is calibrated to not crush blacks.

On the other hand, it's a slightly better experience watching it on the LCD vs. on the OLED where there is vignetting in certain scenes.

What if the director's intent was purposely to have the minimum light level for x scene slightly above black?
No argument. It's an issue. If you are sensitive to vignetting then your only choice is to crush some gray into black.

Having information removed from the image is far more intrusive and immersion breaking than having all of that information, just at a higher minimum light level.
I do not agree with that as a blanket statement. It all depends on the specific content. In some cases more shadow detail is likely preferable, in other cases a lower minimum light level would be more preferable.

Otherwise LCDs would have never taken off in the way they did.
The proliferation of LCDs has nothing to do with any nefarious "shadow detail" vs. "absolute black level" trade-off.

You can not, nor will anyone ever be able to calibrate gamma curves for HDR content to "come quickly out of black", so that point is irrelevant.
The ability to make certain adjustments related to brightness with HDR content is yet to be seen. It can be done with some sets, but not with LGs...at least not yet.

Once we start seeing blu-ray HDR content and the set manufacturers get the chance to tweak firmware to handle them, we'll see.

At the end of the day, there is no argument that OLEDs near black uniformity still needs improvement. The only questions are:

1) What can be done to mitigate the effects of this (tweaking brightness and potentially gamma)
2) Are you willing to live with this particular compromise?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Hey! You're back :eek:! Did you get all mad that the TV you claimed was going to be $5500 for the 55" for the next 2 or 3 yrs or longer instead plunged like a rock and can now be gotten for ~ $2400 like everybody told you it would? :D

Thought you bought some LCD with flash lighting and halo'ing and no off axis viewing and no blacks and left us all behind? :confused:

On a serious note, *shrug*, my 55" doesn't have any issues. Even threw away my box yesterday.
I got a 55 inch JS8500 for $1300 on buydig, no panel issues, no exchanges great looking HDR content. I'll easily take inherent LCD issues with a panel that is uniform over the mess in here. I just can't believe all the issues you guys are going through, these defects should not be acceptable to anyone.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow this thread is crazy, all these TV exchanges, you guys should really just get full refunds if you can this panel lottery thing doesn't seem to be working out. LG is never going to resolve these issue if owners are content to just shuffle through panels for months on end.
I have two of these TVs now and i'm very happy. I didn't exchange anything

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Agreed, but solid black is preferred to solid gray.

Let me put this another way. Showing this particular trailer with slightly crushed blacks is a much better experience on the OLED than it is on an LCD that is calibrated to not crush blacks.

On the other hand, it's a slightly better experience watching it on the LCD vs. on the OLED where there is vignetting in certain scenes.

No argument. It's an issue. If you are sensitive to vignetting then your only choice is to crush some gray into black.

I do not agree with that as a blanket statement. It all depends on the specific content. In some cases more shadow detail is likely preferable, in other cases a lower minimum light level would be more preferable.

The proliferation of LCDs has nothing to do with any nefarious "shadow detail" vs. "absolute black level" trade-off.

The ability to make certain adjustments related to brightness with HDR content is yet to be seen. It can be done with some sets, but not with LGs...at least not yet.

Once we start seeing blu-ray HDR content and the set manufacturers get the chance to tweak firmware to handle them, we'll see.

At the end of the day, there is no argument that OLEDs near black uniformity still needs improvement. The only questions are:

1) What can be done to mitigate the effects of this (tweaking brightness and potentially gamma)
2) Are you willing to live with this particular compromise?
You can not adjust gamma curves (which is what you'd be doing to crush blacks at low IRE levels, not tweaking brightness - as that just shifts it down) in HDR on any TV. HDR gamma is fully automated and there are no TVs that allow or will ever allow for manual tweaking of this - Mainly because with HDR "gamma" in its traditional sense does not exist anymore. Furthermore, that's why I'm saying just adjusting brightness is futile, because it's not changing a curve, just shifting it. By clicking brightness down all you're doing is crushing 1% to a 0% MLL and bringing 2% to the place 1% just was. It doesn't really fix anything, it just trades one for another.

As for my LCD comparison, I think you may have misunderstood. The point I was making was that raised minimum light levels are far less obnoxious than vignetting issues - As we've seen LCD kill any competing display technology despite its technological shortcoming of MLL above 0. MLL above 0 may distort the image, but it doesn't completely remove parts of the image like the vignetting does.

Rather than seeking to mitigate the effects, I'm trying to bring attention to the problem and hopefully get enough people on the bandwagon to make enough noise to get LG to do something about it. Like I've said before - What's the point of focusing on how well your dynamic range is in dark scenarios if your panels remove up to 20% of the image on the edges in these dark scenarios due to a panel defect? Seems a little ridiculous to find that "acceptable".

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I got a 55 inch JS8500 for $1300 on buydig, no panel issues, no exchanges great looking HDR content. I'll easily take inherent LCD issues with a panel that is uniform over the mess in here. I just can't believe all the issues you guys are going through, these defects should not be acceptable to anyone.
I bought my 55EF9500 for $2400 as I said and I've had zero issues. First panel. No exchanges. It does HDR too.

I agree though, the yellow band on the 65" is not acceptable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
By using an Oppo BD player, you can easily get that .5 by using the picture adjust menu within the Oppo itself for finer adjustments. It's been working perfectly for me over the last 14 months with my 2nd Gen OLED LG 9300. (any outboard processor would also do the trick, DVDO,etc.)
I'm using the PS4 Blu-ray for these tests.

Definitely not purchasing another old-gen BD player just to calibrate .5, lol. :)

As @wxman noted, the AVS Blu-ray might not be the best for brightness tests and I'll see if Disney Wow can do any better in that department tonight.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
For those of you that have the TV hooked up to an AVR with HDMI ARC, are you guys having an issue where the AVR turns on to CBL/SAT (as it should), then switches over to TV AUDIO for a second while the TV turns on, then switches back to CBL/SAT? Everything does eventually find its way to the right input, just kind of annoying the intermediate TV AUDIO switch over... bug in the TV software sending a wrong CEC command?

·
Registered
99 Posts
For those of you that have the TV hooked up to an AVR with HDMI ARC, are you guys having an issue where the AVR turns on to CBL/SAT (as it should), then switches over to TV AUDIO for a second while the TV turns on, then switches back to CBL/SAT? Everything does eventually find its way to the right input, just kind of annoying the intermediate TV AUDIO switch over... bug in the TV software sending a wrong CEC command?
Yes I've noticed that.

ARC working perfectly through HDMI but the Denon X7200 switches to TV Audio when first turned on now. I just switch it back myself to the correct setting. Minor inconvenience for an awesome feature I suppose.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Rather than seeking to mitigate the effects, I'm trying to bring attention to the problem and hopefully get enough people on the bandwagon to make enough noise to get LG to do something about it. Like I've said before - What's the point of focusing on how well your dynamic range is in dark scenarios if your panels remove up to 20% of the image on the edges in these dark scenarios due to a panel defect? Seems a little ridiculous to find that "acceptable".
Then wouldn't not buying the set do that. Buying it, keeping it, then complaining about it may get their attention, but they already have your money so....yeah. Want to really get their attention, it has to effect sales. If distributors, retail, etc cannot sale the product, then it goes up higher. I have never seen a manufacture make a change to a display during it's production in a model year. If anything anything that is found/complained about like this would be addressed in the next iteration. Not the Sharp Elite with the cyan tracking and decoding, the VT30 with the CMS issue with mid panel brightness (though iirc they did get that someone working with firmware towards the end), not floating blacks, etc etc.

If you want to make noise you do it with your wallet, buy not giving them your money.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but buying it, keeping it, and then going on a crusade is backwards. If you want to get people on the bandwagon they need to not purchase and speak with their wallet. I don't see many people not buying it or getting refunds. If anything I see people being ravenous over this display buying it and if they don't find it acceptable returning and buying it again, which I'm sure they noticed but again at the end of the day they still bought the display.

I'm just curious why you still own it? I mean it obviously really bothers you. Why continue to frustrate yourself?

Reactions: Blake2163

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes I've noticed that.

ARC working perfectly through HDMI but the Denon X7200 switches to TV Audio when first turned on now. I just switch it back myself to the correct setting. Minor inconvenience for an awesome feature I suppose.
same experience here on my marantz 6010. eventually when i get everything all set ill program my harmony to avoid even that inconvenience but for now just have to switch back to cbl/sat myself. odd that sledgehammer's finds its way back on its own..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
same experience here on my marantz 6010. eventually when i get everything all set ill program my harmony to avoid even that inconvenience but for now just have to switch back to cbl/sat myself. odd that sledgehammer's finds its way back on its own..
Normal behavior since the AVR senses the ARC signal from the TV and switches to TV input. My not so new Denon does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes I've noticed that.

Hey you know their is a setting in the denon 7200wa that stops this from happening right? Just turn it off in settings and ARC will no longer change to TV audio and you can keep on using ARC.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm mesmerized by hockey it looks so dam good and I don't even like hockey my wife keeps asking me what's up with the sudden interest in hockey :rolleyes:

I have motion settings off and all sports look great to me.
The Best Sports to watch is Sunday Night Football on NBC, the image is so sharp an clear. I wonder if it somehow get's upscaled to 4K. It never looked this good to me!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Normal behavior since the AVR senses the ARC signal from the TV and switches to TV input. My not so new Denon does the same thing.

I have a older denon as well and never had this problem with my Sony tv but I also have my avr set to resume on my sat/cable input maybe I will try turning that off and see what happens.

4881 - 4900 of 24800 Posts