AVS Forum banner

13081 - 13100 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this question has already been answered or if anyone else has had this problem. My magic remotes curser has stopped working. The buttons on the remote work fine though. This is my first week with this TV and it is a 511 build. I used the buttons located on the TV to go through the settings and realized my TV no longer connects to my WiFi either.
The remote pointer turns itself off when you set it down or you don't move it around much. Just shake the remote a bit from side-to-side and it will wake-up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The remote pointer turns itself off when you set it down or you don't move it around much. Just shake the remote a bit from side-to-side and it will wake-up again.
I tried that too. Nothing comes up. I even tried turning the lights in my living room on and off. I don't know what's wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried that too. Nothing comes up. I even tried turning the lights in my living room on and off. I don't know what's wrong.
People have gotten TVs with bad wireless cards. If you can't get wifi to work and the remote is offline, that might be your situation. It sounds like it is time to contact support.

You might try doing a full reset of the TV. Someone mentioned unplugging the TV for a few hours and then trying again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
People have gotten TVs with bad wireless cards. If you can't get wifi to work and the remote is offline, that might be your situation. It sounds like it is time to contact support.

You might try doing a full reset of the TV. Someone mentioned unplugging the TV for a few hours and then trying again.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try plugging out the TV for a few hours. How do I do a TV reset?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Several people, including myself have reported that the latest 512 builds have a .46 firmware. The .60 has been available for a while.

Makes me wonder why the latest builds aren't also on the .60 or if there are improvements in the .46 that aren't in the .60

I've updated from .46 to the .60 and haven't noticed any difference, but am probably oblivious to any differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guess is that the next big push by LG to our tv's is when they introduce WebOS 3.0 or WebOS 3.0 lite in the next month or two. If we are to get one of those, there would be no sense pushing out a minor FW update for 2.0 at this point in the game.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using my OPPO 103D to convert blu ray to 4K instead of having the tv do. I was checking the brightness pluge pattern and discovered something odd. When I have the tv convert to 4K, bar 18 barely flashes and I have artifacts with near blacks with poorly mastered movies. However, when I have the OPPO do the conversion, bar 17 is now visible and has the same brightness as bar 18, and this has eliminated the artifacts.
no great scaler for 65ef9500 ... I'm looking for denon avr-2200 and prob its scaler 4k works better than 65ef9500

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
no great scaler for 65ef9500 ... I'm looking for denon avr-2200 and prob its scaler 4k works better than 65ef9500
That would be a good choice. The OPPO 103D does a better job than the tv too. Luckily, when UHD blu ray comes out soon, the tv will no longer have to do any 2K to 4K scaling, at least for blu ray. So the image should be a lot better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well I decided to give this TV one last shot and initiated a 2nd swap through BB. My first two TVs were ordered in Janiary but showed up as 510 builds, different serial numbers (not the same TV), but nearly identical yellow stains.

I had requested a 512 for the first swap, but no luck. Requested again, so we'll see what happens..,

·
Registered
437 Posts
Several people, including myself have reported that the latest 512 builds have a .46 firmware. The .60 has been available for a while.

Makes me wonder why the latest builds aren't also on the .60 or if there are improvements in the .46 that aren't in the .60

I've updated from .46 to the .60 and haven't noticed any difference, but am probably oblivious to any differences

I'm going to go with @wxman on this one and say they are probably working on a 3.0 or 3.0 lite update for us. Hopefully fine tuning it and taking their time so it doesn't end up with the fiasco that the ec9300 had with the memory dumps and various other issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My guess is that the next big push by LG to our tv's is when they introduce WebOS 3.0 or WebOS 3.0 lite in the next month or two. If we are to get one of those, there would be no sense pushing out a minor FW update for 2.0 at this point in the game.
The .60 was publicly available on the Korean sites back in November, possibly earlier.

Therefore, the .60 firmware was available and could have been used for the December production builds. However, LG chose to use a previously unseen version .46

It is more just a trivial nagging curiosity and doesn't really matter if we get the 3.0 lite. Nobody here will probably have the answer, but I was just wondering why they didn't just use the .60 in the December builds or if the .46 is possibly a later/better version for the 512 panels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
512 build. Bright banding on edges

Instead of the typical vignetting patterns seen in many 3-5% shots, my 512 panel was showing something different. There is a brighter white band on the left and right edges. Somebody jokingly called it anti-vignetting. Another 512 owner pm-ed me and said they had the same thing.

The brighter white band is noticeable on screens such as the netflix starting screen.

I'm happy with my set, so not complaining. Just sharing in case others start getting their 512's and notice a similar pattern too.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
512 build. Bright banding on edges

Instead of the typical vignetting patterns seen in many 3-5% shots, my 512 panel was showing something different. There is a brighter white band on the left and right edges. Somebody jokingly called it anti-vignetting. Another 512 owner pm-ed me and said they had the same thing.

The brighter white band is noticeable on screens such as the netflix starting screen.

I'm happy with my set, so not complaining. Just sharing in case others start getting their 512's and notice a similar pattern too.
I think this falls under "be careful what you wish for" (and I'm not talking about you). I think in response to the vignetting complaints, LG has installed/calibrated/whatever some sort of "anti-vignetting" procedure on newer panels. If true, I'm not so sure that isn't worse than what we had (within reason).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
No it will not void the warranty. I updated my last set to .60 and lg knew it and said nothing and bought it back. There was another poster that spoke with lg cs and was told that it's fine to install versions from the lg Korea site.
Yeah, figured that out after reading the warranty paper. It mentions nothing about software like it does with LG Mobile phones.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Same thing I saw as my 512 has .46 as well that I upgraded to .60. There isn't a .46 available for download either. Maybe .46 is only from the factory that never got released otherwise.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Speaking about the remote, am I correct that the remote is not IR but rather uses RF as I noticed it works through walls. I couldn't get the DISH Hopper remote to do the volume correctly as it randomly does 1-3 increments and the Volume level setting on the tv is set on low in the menu. People on DISH forums told me to use learn mode and it didn't make a difference. They also said that the DISH Hopper remote only does IR and not RF, I always thought IR cannot go through walls. I noticed with Smart Sound on, on the same exact channel from the DISH Hopper, it's way louder than with the setting off on the same program.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have a question. I just mounted my oled and the power cord does not reach the outlet. Is it okay to add an extension to it to reach the surge protector or should I just get a longer surge protector? I don't know if there is some energy loss between the extension and cord to the point where it my affect the tv. Please advise.
I'm surprised this question hasn't come up more often, because the supplied power cable is way too short. I had a very short extension for awhile, but then I created a more permanent "fix". I obtained another (standard) power cable, cut the (LG connector) end off and spliced it into a 10 ft heavy duty (3-prong) power cable you can buy at any hardware store. I don't know why LG uses a sort of proprietary connector into the TV, but I also think they could have used a bit bigger wire gauge (probably why it was so short).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The .60 was publicly available on the Korean sites back in November, possibly earlier.

Therefore, the .60 firmware was available and could have been used for the December production builds. However, LG chose to use a previously unseen version .47

It is more just a trivial nagging curiosity and doesn't really matter if we get the 3.0 lite. Nobody here will probably have the answer, but I was just wondering why they didn't just use the .60 in the December builds or if the .47 is possibly a later/better version for the 512 panels.
Shouldn't it be .46 as that's what came with my recently delivered 512 build. Didn't know there was .47.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm surprised this question hasn't come up more often, because the supplied power cable is way too short. I had a very short extension for awhile, but then I created a more permanent "fix". I obtained another (standard) power cable, cut the (LG connector) end off and spliced it into a 10 ft heavy duty (3-prong) power cable you can buy at any hardware store. I don't know why LG uses a sort of proprietary connector into the TV, but I also think they could have used a bit bigger wire gauge (probably why it was so short).
The cable is around 1 meter as I have it going down from the table to my Panamax line conditioner on the floor and it seems to be long enough for what I'm using it for. I forgot how long the power cable on my Pioneer Plasma PDP-4330HD is. I guess it really has more to do with what side you are plugging to as mines is going to something on the left so it works fine.

13081 - 13100 of 24800 Posts