AVS Forum banner

16401 - 16420 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Just an update for those curious. I'm 5 weeks and 385 hours into my 512 build 65EF9500. Still 1 week left in my Best Buy 6 week return window.

The picture quality has improved over time for me. Yellow staining on left edge which was there on day 1 is SIGNIFICALY reduced now. I cannot perceive any yellow stain or dark banding during any content watching or game play.

Using calibration slides I can still detect a few "defects", but I've come to accept that what I can perceive during normal use is all I really care about.
Never had a yellow staining problem (and I'm surprised to hear that has diminished for you, but that is good news all the same), but at 1500+ hours the dark vertical bands are just as visible (and distracting) over here as the day I got the set.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Watched a bit of the Life of Pi 4k bluray last night. Stunning. You really don't know what your 9500 can do until you see this. I used wxman's settings (tv and samsung player) as a starting point. Thanks. I watched some of The Martian as well. While not as jaw dropping as Pi, the bump in resolution was noticeable. I needed to tweak the brightness a little when I changed to The Martian. Any recommendations on what other 4k discs look top notch on our 9500's? The discs are way too expensive to be blind buying.I do need to do a little more testing/tweaking, but so far, so good with 4k bluray and the 9500.
I have 12 of the 4k discs so far and, in my opinion, the most visually stunning ones were X-Men: Days of Future Past, Kingsman, and The Amazing Spiderman 2. If you like those movies at all, give them a try!

The ones I'd say are definitely not worth it are Ender's Game (super black-level issues) and Hancock (skintones all screwy).
I have 20 uhd discs at this point, after watching life of pi this week I have to agree it is hands down the best showcase for 4K and HDR for our TVs. My jaw was on the floor, no other uhd blu Ray I've seen had the same quality IMO. I really hope future discs are of this same quality or better, seems like life of pi is the best example of what this new format can actually deliver.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
No problem.

They are in the "avs 709" patterns disc you can download here - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

I also just attached them to this post below. You can put them on a usb stick and play them directly from the TV or through your bluray player or whatever.
This is not working for me I've tried everything to get these to play on my tv. Tried multiple thumb drives, deleting/adding, reformatting the thumb drives. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Who in the Netherlands wants to get in on this amazing EF9500 deal for $3500? I'm ready to order one if I can get one or two more on board. Saves a LOT in shipping and you pay just a little over half of the Dutch price! The EF9500 accepts any voltage from 100v - 240v and if you have something like a horizon box, you don't need Ziggo UPC Certification. Who's with me?

Could you please send me a PM with your info's about this deal (tax&customs)? Sounds very interesting!

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Debating about pulling the trigger.

I was looking to wait and get the B6, but its likely going to be almost $2500 more than what I can get a 65EF for right now.

Any buying helpful tips? Seems to be the consensus to order from Chris as Cleveland.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
That looks fantastic !
I have a riser built that fits over that huge center, but that center is built like a tank and it is the perfect height. been real happy with it so far. Usually stuff isnt so easy...

Reactions: chunon

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Any of you using darbe on sources that tend to have compressions issues like satellite or cable? I know with blu-ray you can pretty much go as high as you want, but HD and 40 are kinda the average for blu.

I notice Darbee adds some artifacts on programming that has above average compression issues, and it seems the HD and 25 range is a happy setting for those.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anyone have recent experience with LG VIP line? I'm having some issues that aren't going away with the cycles like black pixels, banding on camera pans, and yellow/blue uneven whites across the screen showing up in movies, cartoons, etc. Appreciate any insight others can provide.

PS - it's a 602 build number

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Anyone have recent experience with LG VIP line? I'm having some issues that aren't going away with the cycles like black pixels, banding on camera pans, and yellow/blue uneven whites across the screen showing up in movies, cartoons, etc. Appreciate any insight others can provide.

I have oodles of experience. Have returned 2 different oleds...pm if you have specific questions

·
Registered
702 Posts

Although I can't speak to your issues being absolutely resolved with a new panel, they are really good about offering refunds.

I didn't even have a tech come out to my house, I just took really good/accurate pictures of my issue and sent it to them. I had to keep calling them back to get status updates though or keep things moving because the person who was handling my case kept failing to call me. That process took like 2 weeks until it got forwarded onto the returns department.

From start to finish from my first call to sending the set and then finally getting the check I think it probably took about 6 weeks. Coulda gone faster if they called back sooner or if I sent the set back as soon as I got the label rather than a few days later. Also, as soon as I knew I would be offered a refund I ordered a fresh set from CP so there was no TV-less time.

Another thing to be prepared for if you go this route is that they make a FedEx Freight label - and if they don't want to drive a semi-truck down your residential street, you may have to drop it off at a local FedEx freight location. Luckily I have one about 15 minutes away.

Overall I'm extremely pleased I did it because I finally feel like I don't have to worry that I spent my money on a defective product that I also currently hope to keep for at least the next 3-4 years. Doing a calibration on the fresh panel also added to the sense of final satisfaction and comfort.

Reactions: 10k and Wingsbr

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

I was looking to wait and get the B6, but its likely going to be almost $2500 more than what I can get a 65EF for right now.

Any buying helpful tips? Seems to be the consensus to order from Chris as Cleveland.

Thanks guys
$2500 is a lot of extra coin, will the B6 be worth the extra coin? Only you can answer that. The ef9500 is ready now for 4K bluray, I would get the 65" and get a surround system to go with it if you don't already own one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Called Chris at Cleveland and got it done. He was great and super easy transaction.

I'll be joining the 65EF9500 club shortly.

Chris gave me instructions on what to do when I open the box and test it, but what do you guys recommend for settings / software updates?

·
Vendor
26,645 Posts
An owner must have bought a tv from the manufacturer's authorized
dealer to be eligible to purchase a valid Costco/SquareTrade policy.
Many sellers of the LG OLED are not so authorized.
He did mention our name, so I am proud to say We are LG authorized thru distribution ;)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
So it looks like my Microcenter price match went through at Best Buy(corporate had to approve), $3500 plus tax. The 65EF9500 I bought a few weeks ago is officially a keeper. I was on the fence, contemplating returning it and waiting for the E series. But my 601 build has excellent uniformity, virtually zero vignetting, and only very slight near black banding. I am satisfied. ;)

Reactions: Tomcup

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
875 Posts
I've seen a lot of people mention the square trade warranty from Costco. Has anyone purchased from Chris and then been able to add this warranty after?
Yes, I have, with a 55". Attached a pdf of Chris' invoice to my SquareTrade account, and even reconfirmed with their customer service:

Hello,

I bought care plan 06XXXXXXXXXX through Costco and submitted my receipt, for a TV that was not purchased through Costco.

It seems my receipt has not yet been reviewed by you, since the plan still says "purchased at costco".

I would like to know if my place of purchase is accepted by you or not, so that I can make alternative plans for coverage, if not.

Thank you, kind regards,

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Sans-Serif]Thank you for contacting SquareTrade. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have verified your purchase receipt, you warranty is now active and in good standing. [/FONT][/FONT]

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks guys
Basically in the same boat, but was comparing the EF now to waiting for the B6 to come down in price around the holiday season. Saw you pulled the trigger. Was HDR a big consideration in your decision? Am I correct to say that the EF does HDR via HDMI and streaming but the difference with the B6 is that it adds DV and HDR10 on top of that? LG is advertising the '16 line as "HDR OLEDs" but doesn't the EF support HDR too?

16401 - 16420 of 24800 Posts