AVS Forum banner

16501 - 16520 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone, I am just about to pull the trigger on a 65 inch EF 9500. The only thing I worry about going from LED to OLED is burn in. What do I need to watch for, having small children who might leave the television unattended on a frozen PlayStation screen. How serious is it?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Hi everyone, I am just about to pull the trigger on a 65 inch EF 9500. The only thing I worry about going from LED to OLED is burn in. What do I need to watch for, having small children who might leave the television unattended on a frozen PlayStation screen. How serious is it?
Have you considered getting them a throw away set and using the OLED for yourself?

Answering your question, its best to not abuse any set. Don't leave a computer desktop, game screen on for days and not expect to have either burn in or temporary image retention.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you considered getting them a throw away set and using the OLED for yourself?

Answering your question, its best to not abuse any set. Don't leave a computer desktop, game screen on for days and not expect to have either burn in or temporary image retention.

No, that is not an option I'm afraid, but they won't leave stuff on for days either. I was talking about an hour at most

·
Registered
145 Posts
How is black crush on these displays, I can handle it in tv/movies but not in my gaming
You can modify your brightness and gamma settings under the game mode preset, and on top of that almost every game nowadays also has individual brightness control. Although it can occasionally take a minute to find the right balance, I haven't had any issues. Obviously if you are willing to sacrifice more of the true Black abilities you really don't have to worry at all. But like I said, I've been able to find good balance for gaming.
I think I'm paranoid cause I went through two Sony crts( award winning KD-34XBR970) back in the day and the blacks were so dark in oblivion that all the detail was lost in the shadows. It was virtually unplayable even when tweaking the image.

I have a chance to pick up this 55 inch for 2300 shipped. This is the only thing that's worrying me now. o_O

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I had it on the Disney Channel with the logo on the bottom left hand side of the screen for almost 8 hours yesterday and had no image retention.
What little IR I have gotten on it from a static screen (think I was messing around doing Audyssey setup and Denon menu's) went away with a power cycle.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
did you unzip the mp4 files?
Unzipped the files to my desktop and even tried unzipping them straight to the thumb drive. I tried a few different drives that I had and I even reformatted them all. The TV recognizes the thumb drive, but in the file it shows nothing.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
While I have an xbox one and not a PS, the screen will dim way down after being static for a while (zero motion) like a static screen as you noted "Frozen"

So with that said you should not have a retention issue and there is built in protection which is not often talked about.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
As promised, a few pictures of my modest setup. The wife loves how the glass on the stand makes it look like the TV is floating. I must say I'm a fan too it looks great and I'm glad I chose not to mount it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering about soundbars for my lgef9500.Question is do i need to buy LG version to be able too turn on tv and bar at the same time?Trying to make it easy as possible for Wife.Do other brands offer a way to be turned on with LG remote?

And any suggestions for a decent midrange price bar?Thank you.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I was wondering about soundbars for my lgef9500.Question is do i need to buy LG version to be able too turn on tv and bar at the same time?Trying to make it easy as possible for Wife.Do other brands offer a way to be turned on with LG remote?

And any suggestions for a decent midrange price bar?Thank you.
Na I have a Samsung soundbar with this TV and it turns it on and off with the TV with no issues. And my soundbar cost around 400 bucks when I purchased it in 2013 nice sound to it considering its all in my bedroom

·
Registered
809 Posts
Unzipped the files to my desktop and even tried unzipping them straight to the thumb drive. I tried a few different drives that I had and I even reformatted them all. The TV recognizes the thumb drive, but in the file it shows nothing.
Are they formatted FAT32? I thought somewhere in the thread it said the set can't read NTFS

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
As promised, a few pictures of my modest setup. The wife loves how the glass on the stand makes it look like the TV is floating. I must say I'm a fan too it looks great and I'm glad I chose not to mount it.
It is crazy how similar our setups are. I have that exact same stand in my bedroom setup.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive noticed some 3D cross talk /ghosting. I was watching The Martian last night I see to at the very top of the screen(I saw it in big hero also). I sit about 8 feet away I noticed it would go away if i moved my head up about a foot. I noticed there where some settings but im not sure what they do.

It seems to be on predominantly on white objects (Big Heros head, The helmet)

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I have noticed if you are at extreme angles with the OLED you get a lot of crosstalk. I am 9 feet away or so, and I see a little every now and then in stuff like buildings or busy backgrounds.

16501 - 16520 of 24800 Posts