AVS Forum banner

Is it normal to dim during movie playback?

• No

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LG OLED Dimming Issue Solved

Petition: LG: Allow OLED TV owners to turn off dimming

Solution here

Hello there,

I have recently bought and set up LG's 55EG910V OLED TV. It's an awesome set but it has one major problem: Its feature to prevent burn-in.

Well, the feature itself is not the problem. The problem is that it is not working properly because the TV recognize long movie scene (60s+) as still image.

When I noticed that the TV was dimming after a while I have checked all settings again and made sure everything was off. Everything was off so this shouldn't happen.
After extensive testing I noticed this was not happening at random but in "slow" movies (It's not happening in animated and action movies for example), during long scenes (60s+) to be more specific.
Now this is very annoying because when it dims you can barely see anything, especially in "dark" scenes. The most recent movie we watched was Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight, needless to says the movie experience was real bad when one has to hit the remote or display the player's menu every time the TV dims.

I tried to fix/go around this issue for hours (tried most if not all settings combinations in the TV menu) without success. I also looked up online and found nothing so I decided to contact LG Support (I had a very long email conversation so I will strip it down to the essential):
At first I had the "noob" support but they quickly escalated me to VIP support when they saw I was not their everyday customer. Unfortunately the VIP support was not able to help and asked for a pick-up.
Obviously I was against the pick-up since I knew that this wouldn't help/solve anything because this is not an hardware problem but a software problem. I asked him to check with the factory, maybe he was not aware of such feature: He said if there was such feature, he would know and there is not, he then insisted on the pick-up.
It wasn't going anywhere so I accepted the pick-up. He then contacted me saying they were not able to reproduce the issue and that it was probably caused by my HTPC. I sent him videos that the issue is also happening within the TV menu without any source/input.

He then sent me this:
LG Support said:
Dear Chris,

We have checked the issue with the factory and received the following results:

The OLED TV dims Pictures/Videos, if it recognize them as a still image to prevent itself from burn-in effects.
This function cannot be switched off. There is also no special software available.

The OLED TV also dims Pictures/Videos, if the amount of white is over 60% of the picture proportion.
This function prevents too high power take-ups, related to the energy efficiency, which are prescribed by the EU.
This function cannot be switched off as well.

We feel sorry for not having better news but the TV complies with the specifications. There is nothing we can do, also nothing to repair as the TV has no fault. So we will prepare the TV to return it to you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Okay so I was right:
- He didn't know about the burn-in feature
- Pick-up was not necessary
- It's a software problem
- Time was wasted (on both sides)
- It's caused by the burn-in feature that is not working properly

I also noticed that the TV is dimming when more than 60% of the picture is white. While this is unlikely to happen during normal use (movie playback), it makes it impossible to calibrate properly with a calibration probe (I have calibrated many monitors and TVs and this was the first time I saw my probe go crazy, now I know why).

Now they returned me the TV (package was ruined, the TV had fingerprints and other traces on the screen but that's another story) and I was told that this is probably not going to be fixed since it is not recognized as an issue but called "feature".

What do you guys think? Is it normal to dim during movie playback?

My settings:
TV already dimmed, you can clearly see the luminosity going back up after I close the window at 00:13:
TV already dimmed, you can clearly see the luminosity going back up after I open the player bar at 00:14:

Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it short.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The OLED TV also dims Pictures/Videos, if the amount of white is over 60% of the picture proportion.
This function prevents too high power take-ups, related to the energy efficiency, which are prescribed by the EU.
This function cannot be switched off as well.
"Cannot be switched off" is a bit of a lie...I recall there being a member on this forum that discovered that you can turn this off in the service menu, not the normal user-accessible menu.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it is possible to turn both off if they make it available in the menu.
I haven't found how to access the service menu on that model :(
I will ask LG but I doubt they will tell me :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have accessed the service menu (In Start) and found a setting called "Dimming" which is enabled (On) by default. I can switch it Off but when I turn the TV off and back on, going back to the service menu will show the setting on "On" again. Looks like it's not saving my change.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello there,

I also noticed that the TV is dimming when more than 60% of the picture is white. While this is unlikely to happen during normal use (movie playback), it makes it impossible to calibrate properly with a calibration probe (I have calibrated many monitors and TVs and this was the first time I saw my probe go crazy, now I know why).,,,,
Using 'window' patterns is necessary when calibrating. So long as not more than 25% of the screen is illuminated, the dimming will not occur

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It wasn't the Dimming setting. This only sets the "OLED LIGHT" to 100 until you power off the TV (Setting isn't saved).
It was the "TPC Enable" under "OLED" (Set this one to 0 and press Exit). Thanks bigpc.

Accessing the service menu following what's on openlgtv didn't work for me so I bought Service Menu Explorer LG TV Android App and it worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
"Cannot be switched off" is a bit of a lie...I recall there being a member on this forum that discovered that you can turn this off in the service menu, not the normal user-accessible menu.
>I recall there being a member on this forum that discovered that you can turn this off in the service menu

You may be referring to me. Yes, I discovered that, though I don't know if I was the first to do so.

I used a service remote. (I don't know how or if you can access the service menu without the service remote.) I used access code 0413 to get into the service menu. From there, select System 1, which leads you to a list of options on the right side of the screen. As I recall, dimming was #9 , and it defaults to On. You can change it to Off, but it doesn't remember the change.

Peter

·
Registered
112 Posts
It wasn't the Dimming setting. This only sets the "OLED LIGHT" to 100 until you power off the TV (Setting isn't saved).
It was the "TPC Enable" under "OLED" (Set this one to 0 and press Exit). Thanks bigpc.

Accessing the service menu following what's on openlgtv didn't work for me so I bought Service Menu Explorer LG TV App and it worked like a charm.
Do you use the APP to access the service menu and the TVs remote to apply changes?
Did the change 'stick'?
Have you verified that the change prevents the dimming in scene you saw it in?

I need to do this myself, thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Glad you were able to solve the problem. Are there any other useful settings within the service menu?

I realize this is probably not adjustable but turning down the ABL would be nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, did CNY1's issue only happen because his set is the European version?

Has anyone with the US version have this happen to them? I'm not talking ABL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also, did CNY1's issue only happen because his set is the European version?

Has anyone with the US version have this happen to them? I'm not talking ABL
I have noticed this with my 55" EG9600, it happens rarely, but is annoying. Last time, I had paused a scene, when I resumed the screen had dimmed (I didn't realize it at the time) and I could barely make out what I was seeing. Something bright was displayed, and just like in the video of the globe a few posts up, it was like a light was turned on. I played back through the scene and without the dimming it looked fine throughout.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you use the APP to access the service menu and the TVs remote to apply changes?
Did the change 'stick'?
Have you verified that the change prevents the dimming in scene you saw it in?

I need to do this myself, thanks
Yes I used the app button (the left one, blue, labelled IN START in my screenshot) to access the menu and password 0413. Then you can just use the magic remote to navigate inside. Note: return doesn't work, you will have to use the app button (the left one, blue, labelled IN START in my screenshot) to "navigate back".

Yes, the "TPC Enable" change was saved. I turned the TV off and on again several times and the setting was still set to "0".

I also verified several times and the TV isn't dimming anymore. It also won't dim anymore when a still image is displayed or in the menu. It's safe to say this IS the setting you are looking for.

Glad you were able to solve the problem. Are there any other useful settings within the service menu?

I realize this is probably not adjustable but turning down the ABL would be nice.
There are a lot of settings in the service menu, I didn't check them all tho. In my case I only needed to change one setting.

About ABL, strangely it looks like it's gone as well. With the "OLED LIGHT" set to 100, opening a white window fullscreen doesn't dim like before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
About ABL, strangely it looks like it's gone as well. With the "OLED LIGHT" set to 100, opening a white window fullscreen doesn't dim like before.
It would be great if this is true. Hopefully a few of us can confirm if in fact ABL doesn't return after this change over the next few days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It would be great if this is true. Hopefully a few of us can confirm if in fact ABL doesn't return after this change over the next few days.
Well, if by ABL you refer to when the TV dims because of bright image (say 100% white image displayed fullscreen) then yeah it looks like it's gone as well. Because I used to see it and know how to reproduce it. When I try to reproduce it now it doesn't happen anymore.

EDIT:I take back what I said, ABL is still here unfortunately. I ran some tests today and ABL is present.

My main concern was the "ASBL", ABL never really annoyed me.

Maybe it can also be disabled in the service menu but I dont know which setting it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Now that I think about it, what does TPC stand for? Tx Power Consumption?
Because if that is the case then it wasn't a burn-in prevention feature that was kicking in and dimming but a power consumption feature (ASBL I think you guys call it). Which makes sense since it seem to have disabled the ABL as well.

:insert conspiracy keanu here:

·
Registered
112 Posts
App purchased, adjustment made, confirmed that the change 'sticks'
However APL is not affected (the dynamic contrast slide still behaves as before) .
I also changed my compensation interval to zero and that works as expected as well, not that I think it will make a difference

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
However APL is not affected (the dynamic contrast slide still behaves as before).
Did you turn off the "Dynamic Contrast" under: Picture => Picture Mode Settings =>Expert Control => Dynamic Contrast ?
(You can check my first video to see where this is located)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you turn off the "Dynamic Contrast" under: Picture => Picture Mode Settings =>Expert Control => Dynamic Contrast ?
(You can check my first video to see where this is located)
Yes, I have dynamic contrast setting on the TV off

I was referring to the dynamic contrast slide (movie) on the AVSHD test patterns. With this slide up you can watch the set change the light output in real-time as the stimulus changes. i.e. most of the screen changes rapidly between black, white, and shades of grey. A grey scale portion in the lower right hand corner of the screen will remain static at low contrast setting, but changes output as APL kicks in with contrast above about 50

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I set TPC to 0 on my set as well and ABL is unchanged.

Reactions: d1le0n
1 - 20 of 32 Posts