AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to calibrate the tv for dvd/blu-ray watching.

I have a disc with test patterns, and I tried with both 24hz and 60hz(not sure it matters at all).

For OS I have win 7 ultimate, video card is a radeon hd4200, the connection between htpc and tv is HDMI.

I tried expert picture mode and at first went through the built in calibration as a starting point and also tried using settings from cnet and from owners of the tv here.

Long story short my blacks are getting crushed pretty bad, on test patterns from 25-0 I do not see anything below 22. If I raise the brightness then everything looks like crap and even zero becomes grayish.

Overall if I watch something it looks good but I know that I am losing a ton of shadow detail.

I tried playing the disc in both powerdvd 10 and TMT and the same thing on both.

I will try to get an Avia disc since I know it's reliable.

Are people able to get their LG to look great with a PC, also it is possible that the same thing is occuring with other sources but all I have is a HTPC and a cable box so the only place I can test is HTPC.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/19591604

I am trying to calibrate the tv for dvd/blu-ray watching.

I have a disc with test patterns, and I tried with both 24hz and 60hz(not sure it matters at all).

For OS I have win 7 ultimate, video card is a radeon hd4200, the connection between htpc and tv is HDMI.

I tried expert picture mode and at first went through the built in calibration as a starting point and also tried using settings from cnet and from owners of the tv here.

Long story short my blacks are getting crushed pretty bad, on test patterns from 25-0 I do not see anything below 22. If I raise the brightness then everything looks like crap and even zero becomes grayish.

Overall if I watch something it looks good but I know that I am losing a ton of shadow detail.

I tried playing the disc in both powerdvd 10 and TMT and the same thing on both.

I will try to get an Avia disc since I know it's reliable.

Are people able to get their LG to look great with a PC, also it is possible that the same thing is occuring with other sources but all I have is a HTPC and a cable box so the only place I can test is HTPC.

Try switching gamma. I found 'low' gamma setting to hold off darks until near the bottom of the dark end of the scale on the contrast pattern and found 'medium' to give more shadow detail in the gray section of the contrast pattern. I've read this set is a good gaming monitor with decent lag results. I've never read anyone complaining about blacks crushing on the 55LH90. My set does the black end of contrast patterns beautifully from blu ray calibration discs.

Are the patterns you're using available online for free? I can play video from my computer thru my blu-ray player.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/19591915

Try switching gamma. I found 'low' gamma setting to hold off darks until near the bottom of the dark end of the scale on the contrast pattern and found 'medium' to give more shadow detail in the gray section of the contrast pattern. I've read this set is a good gaming monitor with decent lag results. I've never read anyone complaining about blacks crushing on the 55LH90. My set does the black end of contrast patterns beautifully from blu ray calibration discs.

Are the patterns you're using available online for free? I can play video from my computer thru my blu-ray player.

I will try switching gamma, the disc is not a blu ray but a regular dvd.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/19593204

I was able to get it pretty good, using the same disc I can see as low as 16 and as high as 234. While the blacks are still very good/black

Thanks for the help

Cool. That holds pretty close to the 15-235 standard which means this set's RGB "standard" gamut is displaying as it is supposed to. It's a THX rated display, so it would figure that it would have to meet at least that range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts