AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a LG 55LH90, took forever debating if I wanted lcd/plasma which one etc, finally go out and buy one, get it back...

When turning it on, the light flashes red, then goes solid white as if it were working, even blinks in response to volume/input select/etc, but the panel is COMPLETELY dark, absolutely nothing happens other than the blinking indicator light that acts like everything is fine.

I really don't understand how a panel could fail in this way, its almost like they never plugged the panel internally into the control/processor for it. There is no noise, no smoke, no sound from the speakers, no beeping, nothing what so ever happens other than the blinking indicator light.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? I'm assuming the sets just plain defective (or they really did forget a cable inside) but thought I'd post just because I've never even HEARD of this happening!

Does LG not even bother to TURN ON the panels?? This is not filling me with confidence in my purchase, half tempted to just return it for good and get a different brand, how can QC be this bad?!

Things I've checked:

Tried reseating the cable, tried a different power outlet with a very heavy duty extension cord, checked the manual to make sure it didn't have a 220/110 setting (doesn't, should accept 100-210 or so) Tried plugging in RCA inputs as well as the HDMI, tried unplugging the inputs, etc. I'm assuming the panel / menu should show up even with no input though, or at least a "NO INPUT" warning... is this the case? thats about the only thing I can think of other than defective panel if I'm somehow not getting the input / not selecting the active input but it seems absurd that the panel wouldn't turn on unless you pick the right input... Tried searching the internet for LG's not turning on but all I could find is someone that missed the hard switch, which i've tried flipping several times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the ironic thing is there were 2 of them there, 50/50 chance of getting a bad one I bet. Now I have to go back to the other side of the city again and switch it out, its just so frustrating I hope its worth it... First time I ever bought a brand new TV too, joy, had better luck with the "as is" crt projectors I got off government surplus auctions!

If the other one does this too though.... (actually with my luck it won't even be there...)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone confirm that even if I had a problem with my inputs I should've seen "no input" or something happen from the panel? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You normally only see "No input" when you have selected a source that has an input cable connected.

Are you able to use the TVs internal menus when using the TVs remote?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
On the bottom of the panel there is a switch which can be cut off to totally power down the LH90 and not have it in standby mode. One poster reported your problem and lo and behold his kids had cut that off.

Reactions: travis h

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I checked that switch, the indicator light in the lower right turns on (from red to white) but the panel doesn't power up at all, completely black, and I've pushed every button on the remote several times and while the indicator led blinks as if it received the command, the panel remains completely black.

Pushing menu doesn't do anything either, no matter what I do it stays completely black (even in a completely dark room, so its not displaying black its just not even on)

When you say selecting a source with the input cable connected, what about if nothing was connected? I'm 99% sure I did connect at least one of my sources correctly (I had a ps3 via hdmi and the composite RCA connected) Though the ps3 had been set for component so its possible it wasn't outputing a signal, and I suppose theres a chance I plugged in the rca's to the component input or something though I doubt it.

If you unplug everything but power, and turn the TV on, what happens? You should still be able to access the menu right? or at least have the panel turn on and say "no input"? My experience with flat panels is really limited to monitors, every monitor I've used though will complain about no input, or no cable connected, etc, before turning off, and the panel will turn back on when you tell it to switch inputs and complain about no input, etc. The LG however wouldn't turn on no matter what I did and never displayed anything.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If no light in a dark room and no response to any of the TVs internal function remote keys that you need to have the unit replaced.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford  /t/1189421/lg-55lh90-wont-turn-on/0_100#post_17385754

One poster reported your problem and lo and behold his kids had cut that off.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I had to say thank you. I just spent the last 2 hours pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened to my trusty 55LH90. Sadly, the "failure" coincided with re-installing the TV in a completely rebuilt entertainment center with a lot of new wiring. So the list of potential issues was immense. Turns out one of my kids had flipped that switch to turn the TV off. I didn't even know that switch existed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts