AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one? I am looking at these two and would like some advice. The 1K price tag is very appealing and within my budget. I'm looking for a solid Backlit LCD TV for Hd cable (fios) and Blue-ray viewing. Planning on an "internet" Blue-ray player. The only internet feature of interest now is facebook, for my wife. You-tube would be cool with potential Netflix use in the future, but not necessary.

Im not stuck on these two brands but they can be found locally at Wally word. Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

·
Registered
19,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb73 /forum/post/20901909

Which one? I am looking at these two and would like some advice. The 1K price tag is very appealing and within my budget. I'm looking for a solid Backlit LCD TV for Hd cable (fios) and Blue-ray viewing. Planning on an "internet" Blue-ray player. The only internet feature of interest now is facebook, for my wife. You-tube would be cool with potential Netflix use in the future, but not necessary.

Im not stuck on these two brands but they can be found locally at Wally word. Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

For me it's a no-brainer between the LG and the Vizio, look at the LG and forget the Vizio. I have the 47LD520 which is basically the same as the 55LK520 only smaller. For a BD player with built-in WiFi I went with the Panasonic BDT-210. They play very nice together. As far as the Vizio goes, getting them repaired out of warranty is almost impossible to do because of the way they are manufactured and parts availability. Finding a certified LG repair center is not difficult but finding a Vizio one is not, and if you do, there is still the parts availability issue. You can always get an extended warranty (either separate or with you credit card) but.......... I'd stick with a known like LG or Sony or Samsung. They may be more expensive initially but in the long run you'll probably be happier.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I did a quick calibration on a Vizio VF551XVT once. This particular set had a quality control problem; there was a visible streak running vertically down the inside of the screen, as if someone had spilled a tiny bit of liquid on the top left side of the screen during assembly and it streaked down. However, other than being annoying, I doubt it caused any performance problems.

This LCD has a semi matte screen, and it shared the LG LH90's relatively good (for an LCD) off axis performance.

Resolution was good.

However, the Smart Dimming (Vizio's name for local dimming) caused some serious performance issues. With Smart dimming engaged, shadow detail was reduced to the point of near invisibility, and gamma visibly and dramatically changed with a gray ramp test pattern. It also caused a large red peak in the measured white balance. A red peak like this would be more bothersome with real video than a gradual red dip like the Toshiba 650 LCD has.

I experimented with the Vizio's advanced picture controls and enhancements. Advanced Adaptive Luma and other controls had some interesting, but also odd, effects.

With Smart Dimming turned off, the Vizio's blacks had a blue/purplish tint, and the full on/off contrast ratio measured 608:1 with a black level of .09 fL. Pick your poison: poor gamma, grayscale, and shadow detail with Smart Dimming on, or very poor blacks and contrast with it off.

Due to time restraints, I did not have the chance to view actual program material on this set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.