AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 /forum/post/17024407

I know that LG calls their 24p 2:2 pulldown mode RealCinema. The 60PS60 pdf specifications from their website indicate that the TV does have that feature.

I cant find on their website them saying that it has RealCinema. Some of the LCDs have it listed but not the 60ps60

·
Premium Member
5,260 Posts
Hi Guys:

I have one arriving Tuesday, I went through the on line manual and could not find a way to use the internal speakers with an external receiver, can someone who actually has one please comment on this?

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga Moog /forum/post/17042195

Proper 48hz 24fps shouldnt flicker.So I am hoping that LG doesnt screw up the signal.

I am well aware that most plasmas, other than Pioneer's Kuro line, simply use 3:2 pulldown to hit 60Hz for film material.
For most people, a 48Hz refresh rate is simply not high enough to eliminate flicker. This is a common complaint with the Panny panels that use 2:2 for film-based material. 72Hz should be considered the minimum refresh rate for judder-free (i.e., no pulldown) playback of film (24P) material.

The one thing that I find interesting is the specific mention of 30P because the only chipsets I know that properly de-interlace 30P (in 60i) delivered via bluray (mostly video) are the ABT and HQV video processors. Of course, the processor must be smart enough to realize there is zero interframe movement between successive fields, use a simple weave algorithm, then employ 2:2 cadence to ultimately deliver 60fps, matching the panel's natve 60Hz refresh rate.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't believe this series of panels uses 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, etc. for film based material. I've looked at the press releases for the 2009 LG lineup and the Real Cinema discussion is absent from the plasma line. It's definitely in the LCD line, but not these plasmas...

So unless your BD player or AVR will correctly process 24P and stream 60fps over the HDMI cable to this panel, you're going to have 3:2 pulldown in the mix. Until someone proves me wrong with a conclusive professional test, this is the stance I'm going to take. The prices (through today) are amazing, but these panels are far from perfect (wrt to 24P).

I'm still going to pick one up, though, LOL!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I purchased the 60PS60 Thursday at my local Sears store and it was delivered this morning. Amazing deal for a 60" plasma.

Been playing with it since and have to say I am very impressed with the picture. Watched parts of an NFL preseason game replay and a golf tournament. I have the Dish 722 receiver.

Also tested Wall*E on a Sony S550 blu-ray player and V for Vendetta on a Toshiba HD-A35HD DVD player. Both were at 1080p, 24 fps and I observed no flicker with either movie.

The THX mode seems dark to me, but that could be my untrained eye.

I am very pleased so far with this television. Perhaps there are better plasmas available but seems to me the 60PS60 at these price points is a tremendous value.

·
Registered
164 Posts
^^^that's because the panel is refreshing @ 60Hz, not 48Hz by adding 3:2 pulldown for your 24P film material. I think your HD DVD player *might* be capable of outputing true 30P if memory serves me correctly. I would be really curious to see what would happen if you fed the panel a 1080P/30fps video stream. Of course, the player might frame double that to 1080P/60fps for you.

At least the Toshiba group spec'd a true 1080P/30fps as a viable format - something not included in the BDA spec.

·
Registered
488 Posts
 The specifications for LG 60PS11 do list 24p RealCInema as a feature on the first page icons, and in the text on the second page. If RealCinema on the LCDs means display at a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24, why should it mean something completely different on the PDPs? It's true that the 60PS60 does not list RealCinema as a feature in the specifications, but it does have a Film mode available in the menu, whose description says that enabling it gets rid of judder. Both of these do seem like a good indication that a non 3:2 pulldown mode exists (or is supposed to exist) on these. I wish there was a test pattern we could run that would clearly show if a display is doing a 3:2 pulldown with a 24p signal. Running the 24p motion test pattern in the AVS HD 709 disc, I can't tell either way.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoli /forum/post/17049758

Just call a call from Sears. The part is backordered and they have no estimate when it will be filled. [email protected]#$%^&*()

Real sorry to hear that. Are they able to exchange it for you? Maybe talk to the store manager and threaten to call the main office. I backed out of mine after a visit to the store on Sat. there was another person complaining about the same thing. I want to thank you again for your PM's and hope you can get this issue resolved soon.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased the 60PS11 for my parents a few weeks ago, but it remains unopened as they finish renovations on the house. It was noted in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1152187&page=4

that some with cable TV (we have Comcast) are having their HD channels display with black sidebars. That would nix this TV for my parents, as they would want regular HD programming to fill the screen without significantly distorting the image (as it does on my Panasonic plasma).

My question to those owners of the 60PS60 is, for those with Comcast cable, are you having any issues properly displaying HD channels? Right now I can purchase the 60PS60 for a good deal, and if it properly displays HD channels, I would go ahead and return the 60PS11. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs /forum/post/17051095

I purchased the 60PS11 for my parents a few weeks ago, but it remains unopened as they finish renovations on the house. It was noted in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1152187&page=4

that some with cable TV (we have Comcast) are having their HD channels display with black sidebars. That would nix this TV for my parents, as they would want regular HD programming to fill the screen without significantly distorting the image (as it does on my Panasonic plasma).

My question to those owners of the 60PS60 is, for those with Comcast cable, are you having any issues properly displaying HD channels? Right now I can purchase the 60PS60 for a good deal, and if it properly displays HD channels, I would go ahead and return the 60PS11. Thanks for your input!

If the HD broadcast has black sidebars around a 4:3 picture inside a 16:9 frame, displaying it as such (i.e., undistorted with the black sidebars intact) is the proper method. There are no issues the TV is having here. What you need is to set up the Comcast cable box to output SD channels at 480i. When a show comes on with black sidebars (say biggest loser on NBC HD), switch over to NBC SD, and the sidebars will be gone (if the TV is in either just scan or 16:9 mode), and the 4:3 picture will be distorted to fill the 16:9 screen. When another show comes on that is broadcast in 16:9 without sidebars (e.g., Law and Order), switch back to NBC HD, and the 16:9 picture will fill the screen like it's supposed to. In terms of aspect ratio, the 60PS11 and 60PS60 behave exactly the same, with the exact same options. Returning one for the other for this reason is a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 /forum/post/17051445

If the HD broadcast has black sidebars around a 4:3 picture inside a 16:9 frame, displaying it as such (i.e., undistorted with the black sidebars intact) is the proper method. There are no issues the TV is having here. What you need is to set up the Comcast cable box to output SD channels at 480i. When a show comes on with black sidebars (say biggest loser on NBC HD), switch over to NBC SD, and the sidebars will be gone (if you set it up to just scan or 16:9 mode), and the 4:3 picture will be distorted to fill the 16:9 screen. When another show comes on that is broadcast in 16:9 without sidebars (e.g., Law and Order), switch back to NBC HD, and the 16:9 picture will fill the screen like it's supposed to.

Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated. I guess I misinterpreted some of the complaints about the 60PS11 in the other thread. But just to confirm you are saying that things such as the HD broadcast of NBC Sunday Night Football, TNT HD, FOX Saturday baseball in HD, etc. will fill up the entire screen b/c they were broadcast in the 16:9 format, correct? Whereas other programs, like The Biggest Loser as you mentioned, were broadcast in 4:3 format, and consequently watching these programs on the HD broadcast will produce the sidebars?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs /forum/post/17051545

Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated. I guess I misinterpreted some of the complaints about the 60PS11 in the other thread. But just to confirm you are saying that things such as the HD broadcast of NBC Sunday Night Football, TNT HD, FOX Saturday baseball in HD, etc. will fill up the entire screen b/c they were broadcast in the 16:9 format, correct? Whereas other programs, like The Biggest Loser as you mentioned, were broadcast in 4:3 format, and consequently watching these programs on the HD broadcast will produce the sidebars?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

That is correct. The LG 60PS11 (and the 60PS60) will display both Sunday Night Baseball and the Closer in their native 16:9 format with no black bars. They will also display The Biggest Loser in its native 16:9 NBC HD format with the broadcaster generated black sidebars intact. In none of these cases there will be a zoom mode available to stretch the picture just horizontally so that what would be the central 4:3 section fills out the 16:9 screen, while the height of the image is unchanged. However with the Cinema zoom mode one can zoom in on the picture enough so that the sidebars are gone but the top and bottom are cropped as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/17023931

I may have to test one of these with chad. The price is just plain low on these ! Especially the 50PS60
THX certified and they are being given away.

Yes, please do!

This TV is by far the cheapest 60", and with TV technology developing as quick as they do nowadays, it might be the perfect TV to have while you wait for OLED to come down in price.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind /forum/post/17058527

Yes, please do!

This TV is by far the cheapest 60", and with TV technology developing as quick as they do nowadays, it might be the perfect TV to have while you wait for OLED to come down in price.

I went through a similar thought process. I had a 4 year old 50" plasma that only did 1080i. Wanted a bigger screen and 1080p. That's why I bought the 60PS60. I did not want to spend a lot more money chasing the latest and greatest only to realize 6 months later it wasn't the latest and greatest any more.

Seems to me that any flat screen TV is good for 3 to 4 years and then its time to upgrade.....whether its HDMI 1.4, 3-D, OLED....there will always be that "got to have" technology change.

I like my 60PS60.

·
Registered
20 Posts
06/07 Purchase from Sears

08/12 Problem - every other line on the lower half of the screen is black

08/13 Sears onsite diagnosis lower buffer board bad. Replacement scheduled for 08/24.

08/22 Sears calls and says part still on backorder and ancels replacement on 08/24.

08/24 I call Sears and ask for an part delivery estimate. They have no idea. I try all three parts distributors listed on LG website.

1) vancebaldwin.com displays an error when you click shop (in IE and FF)

2) mcmelectronics.com online catalog doesn't have 60PS60

3) andrewselectronics.com email says, "This model/part# isn't in our system."

I google and try a couple others:

a) tritonicsinc.com email says, "we do not have the buffer for the part and model #."

b) partstore.com I can order the part from their online catalog but when I call to confirm they advise it's backordered until 09/07.

08/26 Tomorrow marks two weeks in failure mode. I will call Sears and see what the options are. Assuming they can do deliver no earlier than partstore.com, my unit will have been degraded for almost if not more than a month depending on when the onsite service is scheduled.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
That is shocking! What kind of warranty support is this from LG - I can't believe they and Sears would have such bad customer service and that you seem so calm about it. If I had my expensive new tv out for a month I'd be screaming bloody murder. Have you called LG USA directly and what did they say?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon /forum/post/17064829

That is shocking! What kind of warranty support is this from LG - I can't believe they and Sears would have such bad customer service and that you seem so calm about it. If I had my expensive new tv out for a month I'd be screaming bloody murder. Have you called LG USA directly and what did they say?

LG USA was the first call I made a couple weeks ago. They said warranty repairs are handled by Sears for purchases made through them. I may seem calm but I'm pretty steamed inside especially having to watch the Solheim Cup this weekend without being able to see the golf ball on the green. I'm a Hawaii native and was rooting for Michelle Wie as well as the whole USA team. I called today and they said they had to send some kind of communique to the "National Parts Center" to get a delivery date. I asked when I should call back to get this date and they said 48 hours. so I gotta wait until Friday.

Thanks for allowing me to kind of use this thread as my "sob story" diary. It helps me to vent as well as document what's going on. I hope someone from Sears and/or LG is reading this.

P.S. You have to take ripoffreport.com with a grain or maybe even a pound of salt, but if you think the LG horror stories are many, try do a search on Samsung. It's probably because the sales quantity is bigger but still...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If I were you I'd call the BBB, as well as send off an email to consumerist.com, local news stations and any others. Make sure you send copies to LG/Sears and let them know you are doing this, and you can even threaten to file a lawsuit in civil court. Does the fine print say anything about response times?

This may help - http://consumerist.com/259713/how-to...il-carpet-bomb .

You never know, its amazing what public pressure can do. I'm not sure if there is an official LG rep on these forums but there are a lot of dealers and people with contacts so maybe someone will add something. I am getting my LG tv on Sat and I really don't like hearing this
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
When you buy a TV from Sears, you are buying the set minus the manufacturer's warranty. Sears provides warranty service for the things they sell through their own servicing network of repair people. They buy merchandise at a discount from the manufacturers due to the fact that they relieve the manufacturer of the warranty service responsibllity.

Ask a Sears sales person about this. They'll use more Sears friendly wording, but if you listen to what they don't say, it will equal the fact that the manufacturer won't respond to warranty issues, if bought through Sears.

This is not all bad. Sears services many areas that manufacturerrs don't.

Sears does have a satisfaction guarantee policy, although they have softened this since their purchase by K-Mart. They now have a restocking fee for electronics.

You can talk to the store Manager about either making an exchange, or, providing a loaner set if the parts are on backorder. Just ask the Manager if he or she would expect this length delay in getting such an expensive purchase repaired.

Most store managers will work to make you happy. Department Managers tend to be more caught up in department profit and procedure.

61 - 80 of 380 Posts