AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck between these two sets, and was hoping for some insight from members of the forum. I like the 3D option with LG, but wonder how much content is really available. I could not find the LG 65 in a store, but watched the LG 55 and saw some 3D college hoops. Looks good, but not outstanding.

With the Sharp I would get the obvious larger screen, and this particular model has the 240Hz refresh rate, while the LG has only 120Hz. The Quattron Quad Pixel, which I did see a little better colors than the Sharp 70 w/o it. My concern is that 70" might be too big and make basic cable look even worse.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, there are some cable and satellite companies that do have 3D OnDemand in some cases, I know Cox has some content in this, which I am dying to try out. However, if you are a PS3 or PC gamer, you have reason to have this technology, since most games released within the last two years are capable of being displayed in 3D technology. Also, there are a lot of Blu-ray movies that are now being released using either Real D 3D or any of those other standards out there, not sure which.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Cox cable, but in my area there are no 3D channels. If I go 3D broadcasts, will have to switch to Direct TV, which won't be a big deal. I do have a PS3, and do some gaming. But not nearly as much as my college days.

My greatest concern is the 120Hz refresh rate with LG, instead of getting the 240Hz with the Sharp, and also the screen size difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just FYI - the Sharp is not a 240Hz panel. None of their 2011 70" and 80" models are. They offer "240 Aquamotion" but's it's still a 120Hz panel.

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
I have the sharp 735 70 inch which is basically the 734 with 3D. It has the Aquamotion. I never use it and leave it at 120 high. More of a gimic in my opinion. I got the 735 because of 3D. 3D movies look awesome, especially imax movies. SD does not look too bad. It probably has the definition of plasma with SD, which is a weakness of plasma. So don't expect anything spectacular with SD. Pretty much true with any large screen. However, 70 inches really immerses you when watching HD. Going from a 50 inch screen to a 70 inch is significant.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/21711809

Going from a 50 inch screen to a 70 inch is significant.

Very true. I went from a 47 inch to the 70 inch Sharp 632U and it is a serious step up. I'm so glad I went with the 70 as I was considering just going to a 55. The 70 inch, as you say, really immerses you in the viewing experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read about how its not "true" 240. But figured that since the 734 model was only a few hundred more than the 732 model, the quasi 240 might help when watching fast paced action films or sports.

If I just forget about the 240, I can get the 732 for about $700 less than the 735 model. Not sure if I want to spend over $3K just to get 3D. I'm sure it looks nice, but don't think I would end up using it that often.

I'm using a 39" HDTV right now. So I'm sure a jump up to 65" or 70" will both be significant. Any 65" owners out there who are glad that they didn't go all the way to 70"? The physical size of the two sets are pretty similar, but the viewing area is just so much more on the 70".

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.