AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is the problem. I also managed to upload a video showing the issue. I am using a Samsung HW-H550 soundbar as well with this tv. When I power things up when watching tv or my PS4. The sound is completely out of sync. Funny thing is. This does not happen consistently and all the time. At the same time. Enough to make this post about it and trying to dig in. What the problem just might be because I am stumped. I have everything setup properly. I was wondering if it is some kind of link issue between devices when using ARC? Both tv and soundbar have latest firmwares installed. If I power things down and back on again. Its fine and back in sync. Even if I just turn off the soundbar then back on. As you can see in the video. The sound has a decent amount of delay trying to catch up. Video here https://vid.me/xJKR

·
Registered
17,277 Posts
Try disabling ARC/CEC on your devices and connect with an optical cable. If your sound issues go away then it's an incompatibility between the way the tv and your soundbar implements ARC/CEC. Very common because ARC/CEC is not standardized so mfrs are free to implement whichever protocols they want. There are no firmware updates that can fix the incompatibility.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The ARC functions in my experience will only work properly when all the devices are from the same manufacturer. Mixed mfgrs is hit and miss. Some success was achieved with a power up sequence to get the links to work right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arghh! Them being 2 different brands did cross my mind. Now 1 thing I did fail to mention. Both my tv and my soundbar have a audio sync function. Both are disabled atm. BUT. A time when this was happening with my PS4. I increased the delay time on my soundbar moving it +1 from 0ms default to 25ms. It actually fixed it and the sound was in sync. I did not leave it at that setting though. Because for testing purposes. I moved it back down to default 0ms and the sound was still in sync.

So, that also has me puzzled. Maybe I should just change it back to 25ms and see if that keeps it from happening when powering things on. But, I don't think that will be the fix. Thinking its like you guys said. 2 different brands. But, I am willing to try it as a last resort before having to use optical. Picture attached regarding Samsung soundbar audio sync options.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,277 Posts
There is no guarantee that ARC/CEC will even work correctly within the same mfr. Your chances are better with the same mfr but as soon as you update the firmware, you may have problems. I gave up on ARC/CEC a long time ago and went with an optical cable (for OTA television audio to the receiver) and a Harmony remote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts