Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Samsung

Votes: 8 47.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose ? Both can be had for about $2k and have 3D which is a feature I'm looking for. The LG will support both HDR platforms whereas the Samsung only supports one.
The LG has passive 3D whereas the Samsung is active.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I would imagine that side by side, the black level difference would be quite noticeable. As would the off-angle viewing difference (with the LG dominating in that regard). From the research I've done, the only reason to get an LG LCD set is if off-angle viewing is of primarily importance to you. Read up on the rtings.com reviews of the two sets, and other sites that have reviewed both.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Which would you choose ? Both can be had for about $2k and have 3D which is a feature I'm looking for. The LG will support both HDR platforms whereas the Samsung only supports one.
The LG has passive 3D whereas the Samsung is active.
I tell you my experience with the UN65JS8500 did not go well. I owned it for several months, got a screen replacement, and my dealer was kind enough to even attempt to swap out for an all new UN65JS8500 which ended up looking exactly the same. Samsung insisted, despite my protests, that the TV looked the way it was supposed to (see my photos below of the Blu-rays of Amazing-Spider-Man 2, Spy, and Freddy vs Jason all of which showed excessive edge light issues/bleeding/clouding). That galled me, and I knew they had to be wrong. But it was actually I that was wrong, the replacement TV looked identical so I guess it did look like how it was supposed to. But I would never own an LG IPS panel TV, so if it was between those two I guess the Samsung. I will tell you having purchased a Sony XBR65X930C to replace the Samsung, that the Sony dimming function, and contrast is so superior to the Samsung that IMO Samsung engineers should all be canned. That's not even mentioning how much better the motion on the Sony is. The 3D can be a little soft on the Sony however and does appear a bit better on the Sammy. But YMMV. If I had to choose between those two however, I'd have just kept my small 42 inch Panasonic Plasma with the defective sound. Lol.

Attachments

Reactions: TravisBean

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had room, I'd get the 930c, but those side speakers make it prohibitive to fit my entertainment center. Just barely enough room to fit a 65 incher with thin bezels.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I had room, I'd get the 930c, but those side speakers make it prohibitive to fit my entertainment center. Just barely enough room to fit a 65 incher with thin bezels.
Did you settle on a TV set? I just noticed the KS8000 is currently only $300 more then then JS8500 and that might be a reasonable alternative. It would have full UltraHD Premium certification with 1000 nits.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I haven't seen the LG. I have the JS8600 which is a jumbo version of the JS8500. I own an older Panny IPS as a point of reference. The blacks on the JS are very good as been mentioned. Color is great, viewing angle could be an issue for you. If your viewing is straight on the Sammy is the no brainer here. The KS8000 should be considered at the same pricing but I prefer side edge back lighting to top and bottom. Beyond the edge lighting, the KS has a lot going for it. The Samsungs are fussy about motion settings and source. They can get jerky if not setup properly. All in all, if you don't need the wider viewing angles, get the JS.... or the KS.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you settle on a TV set?
Both sets have their perks, but for my needs the Samsung won by default. The 3d viewing on the LG required sitting at least 13 feet from the set in order for the images to converge properly.
Samsung was much more forgiving in this respect.
Shadow detail also seemed better on the Samsung.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Both sets have their perks, but for my needs the Samsung won by default. The 3d viewing on the LG required sitting at least 13 feet from the set in order for the images to converge properly.
Samsung was much more forgiving in this respect.
Shadow detail also seemed better on the Samsung.
I hope your luck is better then mine, though if your motivation is 3D, then the 3D on the UN65JS8500 is stellar. I think if I had to choose between the LG IPS and the JS8500 I would have picked the Samsung as well. Just make sure you put the JS8500 through it's paces. As I stated above, I used several blu-rays and found that the edge lighting glowing disengaged me from the enjoyment of what I was watching so much that I just had to give up and get the Sony which, while still an edge lit LED, absolutely controls the edge lit glow so much better for whatever reason. Is it the dimming algorithms Sony uses that's superior? Perhaps the dispersion materials Sony uses is superior? I don't know enough about this technology yet to be able to use always the correct terminology possibly, I just know what my eyes tell me. Work it hard to make sure you're okay with it until your return window runs out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I hope your luck is better then mine, though if your motivation is 3D, then the 3D on the UN65JS8500 is stellar. I think if I had to choose between the LG IPS and the JS8500 I would have picked the Samsung as well. Just make sure you put the JS8500 through it's paces. As I stated above, I used several blu-rays and found that the edge lighting glowing disengaged me from the enjoyment of what I was watching so much that I just had to give up and get the Sony which, while still an edge lit LED, absolutely controls the edge lit glow so much better for whatever reason. Is it the dimming algorithms Sony uses that's superior? Perhaps the dispersion materials Sony uses is superior? I don't know enough about this technology yet to be able to use always the correct terminology possibly, I just know what my eyes tell me. Work it hard to make sure you're okay with it until your return window runs out.
My return period expires today, which is why I went to HH Gregg yesterday and put all the LG's through their paces watching native 3d clips and 2d to 3d samples. The 55 inch OLED 3d looked amazing at 9 feet viewing distances, but 65 inch sets (which is what I was interested in) required at least 13 feet.

My UN65JS8500 has (knock on wood) absolutely no light bleed issues. No blooming either. If there are opening credits with large white block letters against a black background, the picture is still perfect. My only complaint is that the user interface is a bit glitchy at times, and on lower quality source material the picture does stutter from time to time. On the other hand, with a good BL disk, well, it's like having IMAX in your living room !!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since I own both these models. I will say the LG is the overall the better TV.

LG
pros 3d is far better in passive
HDR10 and Dolby Vision capable
The apps always run with no problem
Can stream Hdr and Dolby vision with Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu right from the TV (find another TV that can do all that)

Negatives
Black is not as black as Samsung
local dimming could be better

Samsung
pros Great picture (that's about it)
can do hdr but with other units that can stream it like roku box

Negatives
Smart app are buggie (some days they work and some day they don't)
Wifi unit has gone out twice but extended warranty covered it
light bleed is horrible on this unit but livable
Not able to do Dolby Vision which really stinks since Vudu only does DV

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

LG
Can stream Hdr and Dolby vision with Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu right from the TV (find another TV that can do all that)

Negatives

Samsung

Negatives
For the most part I agree with you (except that I have "0" light bleed issues). I chose the Samsung because of the viewing distance required by the LG's passive 3d.

Edit:
Samsung
Well, I'd have to say " Great Picture " is a major factor !!

·
Registered
883 Posts

LG

Negatives

Samsung

Negatives
Consider yourself lucky you aren't having to deal with Android TV. Despite the fact that I love the picture on my Sony, the Android TV interface has a LONG way to go. And the problem is, since it's the operating system it causes issues with everything. Tizen is snappy and smooth comparatively. Sure, with Android TV the sky is the limit as far as apps. It's a great idea, but it is buggy at times. There are things I love about it, but nothing with it is ever quite as easy as it was with the Samsung. But picture quality is paramount.

·
Registered
883 Posts
For the most part I agree with you (except that I have "0" light bleed issues). I chose the Samsung because of the viewing distance required by the LG's passive 3d.
I've always preferred Active 3D myself, and IMO it is excellent on the Samsung.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel the LG has more 3d Pop when compared to the Samsung. I had them side by side for a week before moving the Samsung to the bedroom. The whole not being able to do DV is what is killing Samsung since all the 4k hdr streaming content is supporting DV more and more

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I feel the LG has more 3d Pop when compared to the Samsung.

I noticed this also on the 55 inch LG, but the 65 inch did not afford me sufficient space to view 3d content properly. The 65 inch LG produced double images at 9 feet. You had to step back to about 13 feet. The Samsung was able to render 3d images properly at shorter viewing distances. That was pretty much the determining factor in my decision to get the Samsung.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts