AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I wonder if most BD-Live players won't get this feature at some point. My understanding is that Netflix streaming video is VC-1 encoded with DD audio. Any player can decode this. All they need is a web address to point to and navigate (which any BD-Live player can do), and some code to buffer the download to the BD Live memory, and route the signal to the players onboard decoders.

Seems like this could become as common as DivX decoding, and something that could possibly be added by firmware even.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Under $500 ?? I was really interested in this player until the Xbox360 announcement, and my parents would still be interested in this player, but when they say "under $500" it suggest to me they're looking at a price of $450-499. No way am I going to pay that much, Blu-Ray manufacturers really need to hit sub $300 for the upcoming holiday season.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Wow, this is making me doubt my Pioneer BDP-51FD decision

I have an XBOX 360 though and I could just rent NetFlix through this, but wow this is exactly the type of player all Blu-ray players should be!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I didn't buy a BD player to get streamed stuff. Plus, some people have fast internet providers that have dl limits. Still, if that's what works for you, then go for it.

That's quite a steep price considering there are other players out there already.

Seggers

·
Premium Member
24,142 Posts
This plyaer is a good idea. Hopefully it does not have any (or to many) issues upon its release...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interesting, no wireless. I read a Roku review that said you need 1.5 Mbits per second to get a reasonable quality picture (TV quality according to the reviewer).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, no wireless is too bad, though what I'm more interested in is it becoming a Bluray version of something like the IO Data LinkPlayer networked DVD player. That thing could play almost anything stored on your network and stream it to the player in addition to local DVDs or USB connected drives/devices. It came w/ its own server software to run on the PC(s), but I used a 3rd party server called Wizd that was nicer and also worked with the Linkplayer. LG I hope would allow streaming from a networked PC but it's not known now if this will work or not on this device. I'd love to know.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Personally I rather buy the stand-alone Roku for $99 (if in fact I wanted to use it). The feature set should be identical and at this time with strictly SD content (not to mention if the eventual HD content looks like Apple TV's) I don't see any advantage to having it combined with a Blu-ray player.

Also considering the available movies for viewing the service appears suited for casual viewing. Now once Blu-ray players become mainstream it might be nice to have a all-in-one for certain rooms but right now it looks like dead weight to me.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/14411908

Dolb Digital Plus? Any Blu's have DD+...me thinks this was suppose to play HD DVDs at some point and time...

Based on past history with LG that is possible though a good number of Blu-ray players can decode DD+ including first generation Blu-ray players like the Samsung BD-P1000 and Sony BDP-S1.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
More on the BD300 here:

http://blog.homecinemachoice.com/pag...irst_bd_player

Quote:

Dolb Digital Plus? Any Blu's have DD+...me thinks this was suppose to play HD DVDs at some point and time...

That's some leap
. It's not surprising to see DD Plus included.

All DVD Players support MPEG Audio but the number of DVDs that actually use it cannot be more than a dozen.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts

Quote:
under $500 ?? I was really interested in this player until the xbox360 announcement, and my parents would still be interested in this player, but when they say "under $500" it suggest to me they're looking at a price of $450-499.

map $399.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

Quote:

The LG Insider mentioned this player six months ago. It was originally the "BH300". Wouldnt surprise me if some units still contain an HDDVD laser (Design change would have been relatively last minute)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't know why I didn't see that back panel picture before. It's small, but it seems like there is only component and composite.
Seems silly to have composite on such a high end player.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any word on when this fall we might see this? Being a NetFlix subscriber, I am debating getting the $99 Roku box. I'm also researching my first BD player. I like the idea of less boxes in my HT setup, so this is intriguing for me. Besides, it would make the BD player $99 cheaper (virtually speaking).

1 - 20 of 474 Posts