AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
@ bgosselin:

CD & DVD burning isn't different depending on the Operating System (it being Windows, Linux or Mac OS) and nor does it matter what software you use, all Burning software prescribes to the same protocols. That won't be it.

Personally I'd stick to CD-RWs. There shouldn't be any need to use a DVD. How did you burn it? I presume:

1. New or Blank CD-RW or New CD-R

2. Single Session disc, not Multi-session

3. ISO Mode 1 or Mode 2 /XA - Mode 2 is newer. I forget how they otherwise differ.

4. ISO 9660 or ISO 9660 + Joliet

5. Max of 11 Characters (8.3 Filename) - Level 1

6. ISO 9660 Standard CD Character set

7. Track at Once instead of Disc at Once

8. Finalize Disc

I would imagine numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, and 8 are the important ones but I'd check all of them.

Also make sure:

1. The file size of the file kpjc19_1.dvd is 5,242,884 bytes

2. The root folder on the disc is RMTM0000, so it reads:

RMTM0000\\Scarlet\\kpjc19_1.dvd

And:

RMTM0000 - First folder on the Disc
Scarlet - Would be the subfolder inside "RMTM0000"
kpjc19_1.dvd - Would be the one and only file inside "Scarlet"

Make sure nothing else is on the disc except for those folders and that 1 file and kpjc19_1.dvd is not in the root of the CD-R/CD-RW.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/13495421

Usually when you see "region hack" you hope that's included as part of the deal.

Sadly it never is. They're two entirely separate sections in the Player. If a PAL Hack does come for North American models it will be a separate hack.

Sadly it's a uniquely North American thing to do (i.e - Not provide PAL support on the majority of DVD and HD Players).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/13495421

Prior Toshiba players here have

I didn't know Toshiba North American DVD Players could, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/13471184

Just to clarify -- BrotherEstapol wants to know whether the multi-region hack will allow the US BH200 to play PAL DVDs; your first "Correct" implies that it will, but your second sentence implies that it won't.

BrotherEstapol, unless I've missed something the reports suggest that your BH200 won't play your PAL DVDs even with the current hack. Future hacks may allow it though, like the hacks to all the US Toshiba HD-DVD players.

Just trying to help out a fellow Aussie. (My BH200 should be arriving today, fingers crossed.)

Oh ok, cause what I thought from reading here, was basically that a hacked player could spit out PAL, but it spits it out raw...i.e. it doesn't convert it to NTSC, and since hardly any US TVs can display raw PAL, they could not view PAL DVDs.(thus people saying it can't play PAL)

Or are you saying that the hacked player tries to output PAL, but then end product is a jumbled NTSC signal?

Or does it just not work at all?

But yeah, it looks like voltage is another issue. Does the US one really only take 115v? I'm not keen on using a voltage converter is all.

Cheers for answering my questions so far guys!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
North American LG BH200's don't support PAL period and thus will spit the disc out saying "No Disc" regardless if you've applied this Multiregion hack or not.

European/Australasian LG BH200's support PAL and NTSC so once you've applied the MR hack you'll be able to play any DVD, except RCE encoded ones which require you to change the region of the player to the specific region first. I don't consider this an issue as RCE has only ever been used on R1 DVDs and then not very often.

There is no such thing as RAW PAL or RAW NTSC. NTSC is NTSC and PAL is PAL.

The MR hack and PAL/NTSC compatibility aren't connected in any way shape or form. They're two entirely different sections of DVD/HD Players. If a PAL hack does come it will be a secondary hack to the MR one.

Quote:
But yeah, it looks like voltage is another issue. Does the US one really only take 115v? I'm not keen on using a voltage converter is all.

Most DVD/HD Players can only operate in 110-120v or 200-220v and thus require a voltage converter. I've seen a few cases whereby all you have to do is open the case and change a tiny transistor on the Main board so it now supports 210-220v (and visa versa), but I personally wouldn't want to risk doing this.

The PS3 is the only HD Player I know that is dual voltage and Oppo DVD Players are the only DVD Players I know of that are also dual voltage.

A voltage converter is generally a perfectly safe thing to use, it's quite common to import a USA Player and use one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't think there's any such thing as an Aussie player... over at the DTV Forum there are reports that LG Australia has decided not to release the BH200 here.

Also keep in mind that a European player won't play Region A-locked Blu-Rays. And will cost a lot more than a US player.

The stepdown transformer ain't too bad, it's just like having a power brick attached to a computer or whatever.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr /forum/post/13517776

Hrm... so I should look for a Euro/Aussie player then

A Euro/Australasian Player will be BD Region B not Region A. Which is a big thing for me, but yes if you're happy with Region B then get a Euro/Australasian Player.

I'm only interested in importing a player (despite invalidating the warranty when you use it with a voltage converter) as there are a fair few Region A BDs but relatively none Region B BDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/13522272

I don't think there's any such thing as an Aussie player... over at the DTV Forum there are reports that LG Australia has decided not to release the BH200 here.

I'm sure I read reports of an AVS member with an Aussie Player.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13522927

I'm sure I read reports of an AVS member with an Aussie Player.

Must have been a BH100. Or, if you read reports of an Aussie AVS member with a BH200, that was probably me. But it's a US one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Finally my (first) US SD-DVD arrived

So, the first thing I made when I was back home........ try to switch my LG Region-free.

And you know what? The region-hack also works great on a european-player. Had no problems to install it and the LG now plays not only my PAL-RC2 but also my NTSC-RC1 DVD's without any problems

And now, I go and watch a Movie (imported from the USA)

Cheers AlfaGT

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks Alfa. That's great. I had a feeling it would work fine.

It's a pity the Euro model is BD Region B locked. If I could play Region A discs on it I'd definitely prefer a UK model but alas you cannot so I'll still be importing a USA model. A Euro model would mean I don't need to use a Voltage Converter and invalidate the warranty.

Without PAL support this hack is rather limited, it's still worth it though for Non-R1 NTSC DVDs (namely from South America or Asia).

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13559150

Thanks Alfa. That's great. I had a feeling it would work fine.

Without PAL support this hack is rather limited, it's still worth it though for Non-R1 NTSC DVDs (namely from South America or Asia).

Unfortunately yes. It would really be nice to have one player for HD DVD, SD DVD and BD (even with BD region locked)

With PAL playback I would seriously consider importing a BH200

Buying the European version of the BH200 doesnt really make sense - its selling at 1200 SFr, which is about twice the US price.

For that price you can buy a Toshiba XE1 and a decent BD player

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yeah we really get stiffed in Europe

Personally I always planned to import one, as it will be Region A which for me is crucial. I have and plan to keep my Upscaling DVD Recorder so the lack of PAL support is no big loss.

I don't compare a Combo against two separate players, as technically speaking two players will always beat any Combo but a Combo being all-in-one has so much benefit for me it far outweighs this.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts
Hmm, this is GREAT news - I couldn't care less about utterly sh**ty American region-coded FOX etc crap.

I think I'll have to call my buddy in Germany next week...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Over in the BH100 thread, a few guys have managed to work out how to get a USA BH100 SD DVD Multiregion and support PAL. Here's the start of the discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13714189

And here is confirmation of PAL support in a the USA BH100:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13740323

Can someone with a BH200 try the remote hack discussed in the first link and report if:

A: Anything happens?

B: Do you get the same/similar screen?

C: Can you post a screen capture

You don't need to change anything, just see if it works.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Worked for my US BH200 with one small modification: disc tray has to be open, then pause, 1, 4, 7, 2 brings up the exact same screen with the same hex values as the US BH100 (55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). Interesting!

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK. The BH200 seems to be slightly different from the BH100 in that changing Byte 4 to 02 does not allow the playback of R2 DVDs.

However, changing Byte 4 to either of the codes from the PAL regions (82 for R2, 8D for R4) allows the BH200 to play PAL DVDs from the relevant region.

Applying the Region Management Test Mode hack (with the CD) over the top of that allows the BH200 to play DVDs from any region whether PAL or NTSC (R1 NTSC, R2 PAL and R4 PAL tested). It doesn't change any of the EEPROM settings revealed by Pause-1472, so is clearly operating somewhere else in the permanent memory.

Also unlike the BH100, changing Byte 4 doesn't give a new menu option allowing 576i/p playback. However, the BH200 properly outputs 1080i50 or 1080i60 for PAL and NTSC respectively and the QDEO video processing seems to work just as well for both.

Blu-Ray playback is unfortunately, but predictably, unaffected.

But this is still pretty handy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, a USA player. Tested with "Extras Series 1" (PAL, UK, R2 -- many DVDs are R2+4 but not this one, it won't play in my Australian PS3), "Red Road" (PAL, Australia, R4) and "The Simpsons Movie" (PAL, Australia, R4). Also retested the SD-DVD side of "The Bourne Ultimatum" combo (NTSC, US, R1) to make sure the R1/NTSC side of things was still working.

The steps you set out are the ones I used. For people who have already installed the Region Management Test Mode hack I don't think they'd have to do it again and could skip steps 6-9.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, Gervais is always saying that his model is Fawlty Towers: only 12 episodes, no chance to lose the plot. It is kind of a shame there aren't any more, but there's always the US version -- it's not really the same but it gives an idea of what might have happened next.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Is it just me...or did the LG just become THE player to have. We pretty much have the best of everything now, no? I'm pretty damn glad I got this over the Sammy, let me tell ya. Great work, all. And thanks!

81 - 100 of 146 Posts