AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,697 Posts
It may be a print omission, but I only noticed DD+, DTS and DTS-HD.

I missing something?

No TrueHD?

That would be stupid, THD is on more discs!!

· Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

This was posted already. Take a look at the top of the player - only blu ray on top. It's a picture of the blu ray player they were demonstrating at CES 2006.

Take a look at the specs:

Plays BD-ROM, HD DVD-ROM, HD DVD+DVD hybrid, DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW formats; supports MPEG-2, MPEG-4, LPCM, MLP, SMPTE, PNG, JPEG and GIF formats.

It is the same player.

· Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Did anyone notice 8 bit video DAC? Please, I can't even consider a component like this.

Why? The video on the disc is stored as 8bit/channel, so in theory it should resolve all the original information.

· Registered
605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

I think it's still up in the air on whether they will be able to release this at all as it doesn't conform to the DVD Forum specs for HD-DVD.

They can release it, but they have to be careful with their marketing. They can't use the HD DVD logo and they have to say something like it plays HD DVD but does not fully support HD DVD features.

· Registered
361 Posts
I saw one today at the BestBuy in Natick/Framingham, MA. One unit available new in the box and one opened and sitting on the shelf for display, but not connected to anything. I don't see them selling many of these at $1,199 without bothering to hook them up.

· Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

It is also listed on Circuit City website...I noticed this player does 1080P/24 also...
Can't wait to play with one!...

I just purchased this LG at Circuit City the other day.

I cannot get it to put out more than at 1080i signal (from both 1080p Blu-Ray or HD DVD discs) over HDMI to my Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U. I turned on the setting on the Sharp for film mode (3:2 - 24fps film) but still the LG seems to be reading the HDID from the HDMI 5 input (i'll try the HDMI 4 input too).

The LG manual states that the LG (over HDMI) will automatically select the highest capable resolution of the display. Well we know this display is capable of 1080p.

I contacted LG and this with the email reply I received: Dear Neil, Thank you for inquiring of LG Electronics. We appreciate your interest in this DVD player. The problem that is keeping your 1080p resolution from operating to the fullest is that it requires a monitor that displays 24 frames per second. Those televisions using a frequency of 50 or 60 frames per second will not display the 1080p resolution. For further information or troubleshooting, you may contact us at 800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to assist you. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Neil E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I know the Sharp is capable of 24fps because there is a page on the menu item that allowed me to select "Film Mode - 24fps). Just to be certain I went out to Best Buy today and purchased the Sony BDP-S1. Hooked it up and it immediately detected the TV's ability for 1080p and is playing movies at that resolution.

I like the idea of the LG so I could have one component (one less HDMI cable into my HDMI switching a/v receiver) for both formats and, I thought, save money over purchasing 2 components so I'd like to keep the thing if I can figure out how to force it to send out 1080p.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions they would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll call LG again and try to get more assistance.

Thanks.

· Banned
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBBERpupLA /forum/post/0

I cannot get it to put out more than at 1080i signal (from both 1080p Blu-Ray or HD DVD discs) over HDMI to my Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U. I turned on the setting on the Sharp for film mode (3:2 - 24fps film) but still the LG seems to be reading the HDID from the HDMI 5 input (i'll try the HDMI 4 input too).

The LG manual states that the LG (over HDMI) will automatically select the highest capable resolution of the display. Well we know this display is capable of 1080p.

I contacted LG and this with the email reply I received: Dear Neil, Thank you for inquiring of LG Electronics. We appreciate your interest in this DVD player. The problem that is keeping your 1080p resolution from operating to the fullest is that it requires a monitor that displays 24 frames per second. Those televisions using a frequency of 50 or 60 frames per second will not display the 1080p resolution. For further information or troubleshooting, you may contact us at 800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to assist you. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Neil E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I know the Sharp is capable of 24fps because there is a page on the menu item that allowed me to select "Film Mode - 24fps). Just to be certain I went out to Best Buy today and purchased the Sony BDP-S1. Hooked it up and it immediately detected the TV's ability for 1080p and is playing movies at that resolution.

I like the idea of the LG so I could have one component (one less HDMI cable into my HDMI switching a/v receiver) for both formats and, I thought, save money over purchasing 2 components so I'd like to keep the thing if I can figure out how to force it to send out 1080p.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions they would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll call LG again and try to get more assistance.

Thanks.

I would wait for the next dual format player to come out. The LG has the problem you are describing as well as it won't play 5.1 audio through HDMI. For that price it should do everything right.

· Registered
4,055 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.

Film mode is for reverse telecine on your TV. Your TV does not accept 24fps on HDMI period.

· Registered
1,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

I would wait for the next dual format player to come out. The LG has the problem you are describing as well as it won't play 5.1 audio through HDMI. For that price it should do everything right.

Some people are having issues getting 5.1 through HDMI when connecting to a Pioneer or Denon receiver.

I am getting 5.1 audio from my LG connected to my Anthem AVM 50 through HDMI

· Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA /forum/post/0

Film mode is for reverse telecine on your TV. Your TV does not accept 24fps on HDMI period.

What am I watching with the Sony Blu-Ray disc player hooked up to the Sharp when the display says it's receive 1080pm, 60Hz/fps? If that's the case why can't the LG put out 60fps and deliver the display 1080p as well?

Confuscious say "Much confusion."

Thank you, Neil.

· Registered
15 Posts

Quote:

I have no idea what reverse telecine is!

Does it accept 24fps on Component? I guess there's one way to find out! I'll try it.

Thanks you.

Just hooked the Sharp and LG together using the component video connections. The LG has added 480i to the list of resolutions it can now send the display however 1080p is still unavailable.

Guess I'll keep the Sony Blu-Ray and add a new Toshiba HD DVD player (one of the 2nd generation ones that are just being released that do 1080p). Too bad. The LG starts up and loads faster than the Sony Blu-Ray and it would have been nice to have one component for both formats.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.