AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, got my LG BH100 today to review, and there are some pro's and con's, and some of the con's are pretty damn big, and not the one thing everyone has complained about: iHD or HDi.

Pro's:

1) EXTREMELY fast. The power-on time destroys the Samsung, Panny, Pioneer and Sony, and definitely the HD-A2 as well. The load times are on par if not faster than all as well for both HD-DVD and BD.

2) Ease of use. Very easy to setup and use. Picture quality is outstanding at 1080i and 1080p.

Con's:

1) Cheap build quality like the HD-A2

2) No ethernet for direct networking or updating. The RJ-45 is a service port only.

3) No 24P (at least for now)

4) Even though this is the first player with DTS-HD MA decoding internally, LG screwed the pooch as the HD decoding only decodes 2-channel over HDMI. Only the 5 analog outs decode 5.1 for HD. This should be an easy fix via firmware, but again, this is the biggest mistake I have seen on any of the players, as this was a bigger plus to me even than HD-DVD playback so I could enjoy Fox and MGM BDs with lossless compression over LPCM 5.1, but nope. I won't go back to analog out's when I have a preamp that can decode LPCM 5.1 over HDMI.

5) DD+ again is only 2-channel PCM over HDMI when set to PCM. It is decoded as DD legacy when set to bitstream. Plus must also be decode and sent to the analog outs to get 5.1.

6) DD True HD is also 2 channel PCM, and that does NOT change even on the analog outs. Again, as with plus and DTS-HD, this should be able to fixed just the A1 series was upgraded with a firmware upgrade.

7) No HD-DVD interactive support. This is really not a big deal for at least me, as I RARELY watch supplemental features, even though the Warner and Universal interactivity is pretty cool. The LG pre-renders an overlay menu on titles with the HDi layer, and it still does allow for scene selection, audio, play and the norms.

This player could be great if it got a quick firmware update, but for now, I wouldn't buy it unless you have no use for advance audio codecs via HDMI LPCM. This lack of support is a generation back at least, and something I am personally extremely disappointed in.

This mini-review is also posted in the BD forum.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good review. I hope some of the mentioned issues are addressed by LG. Otherwise, I'm afriad we have a dud on our hands.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, only 2-channel for True HD on analog outs or HDMI.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Thanks for the review, DocDVD. It seems the LG "dual-format" player is really a 1.35-format player. 0.9 of a Blu-ray player, and 0.45 of an HD DVD player.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just can't understand why LG would release such a subpar player. They really had a chance to capitalize on both markets, but I'm afraid they've shot themselves in the foot. J6P won't buy it because its too expensive, so that leaves it up to people like us to buy it, but we won't because of the lack of features. Hopefully a Firmware upgrade is in the works.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure they will, and I am not going to do my pro review on the site until they do out of fairness to them. It needs to be fixed though ASAP as this is beyond an "overlooking" error.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
cons.

its lg

it cost more then what you can get a ps3 and hd2

it doesnt have ihd
ITS LG!

but really though they need to drop the price. i see this player failing miserably on the sales side. considering the top cons.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The A2 has cheap build quality??

I do not agree with this....

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thanks for posting a review.

I also owned this player earlier this week, but ended up taking it back. You can find my comments on performance scattered around the various threads.

Couple of observations of mine:

I didn't find the load times particularly impressive. It took a while to boot up, and loading and HD-DVD was not fast at all. The player has to decided if it's a BD, DVD or HD-DVD and that takes some time.

How do you know DTS-MA decoding is happening in this player? The manual does not mention it's support at all.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote from the Blu-ray forum thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterShipp /forum/post/0

DocDVD, did you really use the player or did you just read the manual?

The unit does support 1080p/24 and it works. We have it feeding our Lumagen Vision HDQ (with the latest firmware) and it looks great.

The service port is an Ethernet port and it works, however that's not how firmware will be updated, at least not yet. I imagine some future firmware upgrade will add some network settings in the setup.

We don't have an HDMI capable processor can I couldn't test that, but I can say that sound quality was notably better even when using the tosslink output to our Linn Kinos with Active Akurates.

Since this is not an HD-DVD licensed player it doesn't support iHD (LG officially said support will not be in any firmware release) since the use of iHD would require licensure.

I suspect we will see a firmware upgrade soon but I imagine it will be disc based and I can't guess what it will fix.

Overall I think this player is a big step in the right direction. For most people buying a player this year HDMI 1.3 and HD audio is not going to be at the top of the list and for them this player will get them off the fence.

Did you test Blu-ray disks or just HD-DVDs? Since others claim to be getting 24p from this unit, I wonder if that feature currently functions only on Blu-ray disks?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/0

The A2 has cheap build quality??

I do not agree with this....

people complain about this all the time but I have yet to hear a valid reason of how the build quality affects them...mine was unboxed and put in my component rack and hasnt moved since

unless you are playing catch with it whats the problem?

·
Registered
27,596 Posts
Nice assessment Josh. I agree. With an audio update, this player looks pretty killer. I wonder if the HD DVD part ofthe player will have any of the skips, freezes, audio drop outs, etc that plague many of the Tosh standalones.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

Nice assessment Josh. I agree. With an audio update, this player looks pretty killer. I wonder if the HD DVD part ofthe player will have any of the skips, freezes, audio drop outs, etc that plague many of the Tosh standalones.

I don't post very often, but I like to read many of the post here and let me say I see you posting quite often. It amazes me the time you take to negate Toshiba's product. I've owned a A1 since Sept. and have NEVER had any of the problems you keep mentioning, and yet I don't take the time or feel the need to tell everyone about it every chance I get.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer /forum/post/0

I just can't understand why LG would release such a subpar player. They really had a chance to capitalize on both markets, but I'm afraid they've shot themselves in the foot. J6P won't buy it because its too expensive, so that leaves it up to people like us to buy it, but we won't because of the lack of features. Hopefully a Firmware upgrade is in the works.

I don't see how this sells either. And since you can already pick up *good* HD DVD players for less than 1/2 the cost of this one, I wonder if the Bd component to it will be seen as the reason the player doesn't ultimately represent a good value?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.