AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point in time I am just interested in watching HD DVD and Blu-ray movies. I have scanned the list of problem discs and it seems to be mostly HD DVDs from other countries. I have what I would need to do the updates but read that sometimes they fix some things but break others. I guess my question is:
Will this thing do what I want it to do right out of the box?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yes, it will, it will just do it better if you update. Updating is absolutely painless. I've done it on both of my BH200's without a problem. Get the update, put it on a USB flash drive, plug it in, update. There is simply no reason not to.

MEC2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Sounds easy enough from what I've read. I just wanted to avoid getting involved with a machine that was more heartache than heart warming. I did own a Windows Me machine years ago. Bad times. I'm going out tomorrow and pick up the LG. With all the great support I've seen on this forum I doubt I'll run into any issues that can't be dealt with.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Windows ME is nothing like the BH 200. The LG is like a nice sunshiny day. Windows ME is like a herpes blister.

Update the firmware, then update the driver, and you are good to go. One feature I love is the playable content on USB drive, I have tons of music on a 4GB stick and I can play it through the USB port on the LG. Good times...

MEC2

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's worth remembering there are only 2 (maybe 3) problem discs confirmed by more than one user.

p.s - Windows ME was a very underrated OS
. It was easily better than Win95/98/98 SE.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/14178470

It's worth remembering there are only 2 (maybe 3) problem discs confirmed by more than one user.

p.s - Windows ME was a very underrated OS
. It was easily better than Win95/98/98 SE.
Is that some sort of British humor?

All the problem discs are HD DVD's.
Blu-Ray playback tends to be rock solid.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/14179920

Is that some sort of British humor?

As a fellow Brit, its got to be....

Yeah brad??

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's "Brad Humour"

Actually it's not, being serious:

I never had any issue with it and found it to be a better OS to Win98 SE. Getting rid of DOS TSR Driver support was always good a thing to do, but considering how reliant Windows/DOS were on TRS it was always going to be problematic. The entire infrastructure of Pre-NT based Windows relied on them so much.

Thankfully Microsoft finally made computing enjoyable with Windows 2000 (NT 5), then gave it to the mainstream with XP (NT 5.1) and ditched the DOS/Win9x infrastructure entirely.

But like I said I ran WinME for about a year and found it a perfectly good OS to run. WinME was certainly better than Win95, the first release didn't even support FAT32 and it never really supported USB. Computer manufacturers did get a Service Release to add FAT32 but this was never released to retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/14179920

That is a weird one, considering HD-DVD was final from launch and BD wasn't.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/14182979

That is a weird one, considering HD-DVD was final from launch and BD wasn't.

Yeah, but when Broadcom/LG/Samsung decides to go with their own HDi rather than getting it from Microsoft/Toshiba, things get weird.

I will just politely smile and nod with you on that Windows ME thing. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

If the player is working fine for you and your setup, don't upgrade the firmware. If you run into problems, then update the firmware to see if it fixes it.

That is the motto I go by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts