AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll probably opt for the film on SD DVD, as the HD is only 1080i anyway (???!!!???)....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
1080i should look very similar to 1080p. The deinterlacer in the Player will sort out the interlacing issue (although obviously not as good as an actual Progressive image). The resolution is the same.

But yes I agree get the DVD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess what surprised me was that the HD DVD standard is 1080p, so this would make the disc non-standard, i.e. prone to problems.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's not a technical standard just what is almost universal. I understand some Adult HD-DVDs are 720p and Destiny's Child Sony BD is 1080i:

Quote:
This will fill your screen with an impressive 1.78:1 ratio coded using the earlier MPEG-2 system and not with the now standard 1080p but with 1080i. Now as long as the de-interlacer somewhere in your playback chain is up to the task what you will get is a glorious presentation.
http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php...diareview=9129

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks...You are a font of knowledge!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Further interesting developments:

On a UK BH100 (so BD Region B by default), it seems changing the fourth value from 00 (USA/CA default) OR 82 (UK/DE default) OR 8D (AU default) to 80 changes it from BD Region B to BD Region A.

This then annoyingly also makes it SD DVD Region 2. It's definitely development though.

It sounds like it's the same field (on the BH100 anyway) that controls PAL/NTSC, SD DVD MR and BD MR, and we just need to find the right value. Finding the value that changes it from BD Region A to Region B would be a start.

See here, from the BH100 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13790886

This is particularly interesting news for me as I would prefer owning a BH200 with a 240v power supply (instead of the USA 100v) and could mean I should be able to buy a European BH200 and make it BD Region A.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've been chatting with an LG employee over PM and here is what they've said. It mixes between the BH100 and BH200:
Quote:
LG Employee: Some people may be able to unlock a lot more since the BH100's made dec06~april06 contain to broadcom IC's. I think it was May07 they took the extra one off the board. Anyway the BH100's that have 2, one of them is disabled. And the one that is disabled what does it do? Maybe a little something to do with HD.

Bradavon: are you abbreviating HD-DVD to HD and mean HDi was included but disabled? Any idea why kit sold in The Americas has PAL disabled by default? Sure I know nothing in The America is in PAL but it still seems odd when it's so easy to enable/disable it. Why not just leave it enabled? Lastly, is there any way to do any long term damage by altering any of the values in the EEPROM menu? Presumably you can always put it back to defaults? I just don't want to go bricking a BH200 by tinkering too much.

LG Employee: PAL is just disabled since it is sold in North America. It is easier to just disable it via the menu, remember these are made on an assembly line so when they are making them for a certain region they just change the options in the menu for that run of units.

No long term damage, this is how it is done in the factory.

I guess I should put a word of caution about changing the menu numbers. There is a chance of bricking a unit. I do not have a list of numbers that will do this so just a word of caution for everyone. For people who have the ability to return the unit to a store for exchange, no fears change the menu to whatever you like and see what happens.

For legal reasons the extra IC was disabled. This was the only way the BH100 could be sold. You may thank the battle between bluray and HD for that one. Neither one of them wanted a player that could do both. Of course differences were worked out so to speak and the BH200 was able to do HDi.

The "service port" on the back of the BH100 is not for service. It was just called a service port again for legal reasons. In reality it is an ethernet port. You normally do not see service ports with link lights. A few Dec07 units do say ethernet instead of service, if anyone has one of these, a collectors item

Bradavon: Any idea what Julio Cohen has done here to achieve SD DVD MR? - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010650

It's been confirmed this hack doesn't alter the values in the EEPROM menu.

LG Employee: Now what Julio did looks like a region code hack program. You can download these just do a google search. I am not sure if he modified an existing hack program so it would work with the BH200 or if he just took an existing program and just used it and it worked. Either way like I was saying before I am quite surprised nobody has done this sooner.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interestingly AlfaGT has just told me his European Swiss BH200 code is:

43 48 00 96 00 05 00 40

43 48 is CH which is the country code for Switzerland, so that makes sense but 96 is a new value. The user who reported that 82 was his value owned a UK BH100. His value was:

44 45 00 82 00 05 00 40

44 45 is DE so clearly his UK model was sourced from Germany but clearly there are also localised European BH200s too. AlfaGT's European BH200 is for the Swiss market only.

So either:

1. The German BH100 is 82 and the Swiss BH200 is 96

2. 82 is the European code for all the BH100s and 92 for the BH200s

We need to someone to check another European BH200.

p.s - Does someone (owning a USA/Canadian BH200) fancy trying 96 to see if the BD Region value changes?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi Worstepisodeever. Thanks for the reply.

To be of any use, yes you'll of course need a Region B locked BD but NO you don't need one to see if it does anything. Follow these instructions:

Check what your SD DVD and BD Region are set to currently, go to:

1. SETUP

2. TV ASPECT

3. SELECT 16:9

4. PRESS 1397139 ON THE REMOTE

5. PRESS ENTER

Then once you know this:

1. Turn the LG BH200 on

2. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray

3. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2

4. Change the fourth HEX value to 96. So for USA Models it reads: 55 53 00 96 00 05 00 405. Press PAUSE to close EEPROM Menu

6. Turn the LG BH200 off

Whatever the string is you just want to change the fourth value to 96. DON'T change the other values. Make a note of what the string is before you change it and if you wish you can always put it back afterwards (for USA Models it's likely to be: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). 00 is the default value in The USA.

You will then see what the SD DVD and BD Region code is set to. Is it still SD DVD Region 1 and BD Region A?

If it doesn't change anything I'd recommend putting it back to 00, or 8D if you wish to enable PAL support.

Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think a bit of a EUREKA is in order.

Setting Byte 4 to 96 changed my US BH200 to Region B. As reported in the Region Info screen, and verified with Region B The Simpsons Movie (Australian, Fox, region locked).

Thanks Brad & AlfaGT!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
What does "06" do?

I should add that using the last 5 bits for complete region control makes sense. You need 2 bits for Bluray and 3 bits for DVD; what I dont understand is the pattern, could really do with a Japanese or Austrailian BH200 EEP readout.

Going all out straight away with "9F" for the BH200 might be risky (Might also be Region Free
).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/13808465

Setting Byte 4 to 96 changed my US BH200 to Region B. As reported in the Region Info screen, and verified with Region B The Simpsons Movie (Australian, Fox, region locked).

WOW! I'm impressed.

* What was the SD DVD Region?

* Could you still play PAL Region 2 SD DVDs?

* I presume you could then not play Region A BDs?

* Is the Network Update option still available?

Actually it probably doesn't matter too much what the SD DVD Region number said (as we have the RMTM CD) but it's still worth knowing.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13808377

Hi Worstepisodeever. Thanks for the reply.

To be of any use, yes you'll of course need a Region B locked BD but NO you don't need one to see if it does anything. Follow these instructions:

Check what your SD DVD and BD Region are set to currently, go to:

1. SETUP

2. TV ASPECT

3. SELECT 16:9

4. PRESS 1397139 ON THE REMOTE

5. PRESS ENTER

Then once you know this:

1. Turn the LG BH200 on

2. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray

3. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2

4. Change the fourth HEX value to 96. So for USA/Canadian Models it reads: 55 53 00 96 00 05 00 405. Press PAUSE to close EEPROM Menu

6. Turn the LG BH200 off

Whatever the string is you just want to change the fourth value to 96. DON'T change the other values. Make a note of what the string is before you change it and if you wish you can always put it back afterwards (it's likely to be: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). 00 is the default value in The USA/Canada.

You will then see what the SD DVD and BD Region code is set to. Is it still SD DVD Region 1 and BD Region A?

If it doesn't change anything I'd recommend putting it back to 00, or 8D if you wish to enable PAL support.

Thanks.

ill try this when i get home if nobody else beats me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13808377

Thanks.

I assume 82 works as well, i think thats what i set mine too....whichever string is listed first on the front page of the faq. just checking.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstepisodeever /forum/post/13808637

ah, nevermind. i just read the update that 82 disables the Update option. need to make a note of that and change it to 8D when i get home.

Please double check it does disable it in your case. It would be handy to have a second user confirm this is the case. Even though Peterjcat has switched his to Region B it would be useful if someone else confirmed it too (i.e - value 96).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If the last 5 bits control Regions......

96 - The last 5 bits are set to 22

Zone B - Region 2?

It still doesnt make sense as to why the USA is 0 though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar /forum/post/13808742

If the last 5 bits control Regions......

96 - The last 5 bits are set to 22

Sorry I don't follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar /forum/post/13808742

It still doesnt make sense as to why the USA is 0 though.

My thinking is the USA is DVD Region 1 and it's also BD Region A, the USA also tends to lead and others follow. So 00 would follow with that pattern.

That's just a guess though.

21 - 40 of 332 Posts