AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1084 Posts

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Yes, I figured it was a case of mentioning the shared Broadcom chip. Lucky for me, I didn't get any of those nasty, expensive early generation Samsung players. I couldn't justify the price for access to only a fraction of HDM releases. I liked the potential on display in the 5000 so much that I bought a second (have since sold it due to Samsung failing to live up to expectations)! Needless to say, you can be sure I haven't bought anything Samsung OR LG-related (for myself) since this fallout (only bought a Samsung phone and LG Blu-ray/HD DVD PC drive for family/friend
).

You're correct...no USB port on the 5000, but the exact amount of on-board memory is still a murky topic and was never fully resolved.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
I, on the other hand, bought an LG Washer/Dryer, 2 LG phones (Mom/Sis) and a BD390 because of their excellent support on $75 rebates. Something they didn't have to do but did.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Fair enuff...it was just to calm the bickering, though. An unnecessary olive branch extension since they came around anyway. I have a bad tendency to hold grudges against CEMs...at the very least, I tend to hold them responsible for missteps.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/17687630

Fair enuff...it was just to calm the bickering, though. An unnecessary olive branch extension since they came around anyway. I have a bad tendency to hold grudges against CEMs...at the very least, I tend to hold them responsible for missteps.

Hence why I was a HD DVD supporter and not Blu-ray (Sony had the DRE on PS2).

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
at the very least, I tend to hold them responsible for missteps.

Which you should, as it is your right to do so. With that group, though, you gotta wonder how long it will be before you can't buy from anyone.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17684993

1. It was introduced as a 1.1 player. It may have gotten a 2.0 update, but its 1.1 hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17686845

1. It was introduced as a 1.1 product and can only be 2.0 with the addition of a 1GB USB stick plugged into the player. LG couldn't introduce certain firmware updates/fixes because the bare spec of the player is 256MB of internal memory. They have to work with what they have built-in to the player. Don't get mad at LG for the BDA's insanity bringing BD to the market. The whole thing is a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17687516

So it launched as a full spec HD DVD player and 1.1 spec BD player. All of this can be confirmed by reading the BH100 thread (Samsungmaster spoke about it some time ago).

Hold on there. The BH200 launched as a 1.0 player. Period. BonusView (1.1) came later in a firmware update. As did 2.0. Repeated posts to the contrary won't change the fact that the BH200 launched as a BD 1.0 player.

Elsewhere in your posts you referred to things you know but can't share. That's just plain pompous and rude.

We can agree on one thing though. The Broadcom chip is the probable stumbling block to speedier updates (since the BH200 and the Samsung have that chip in common).

I fully expect LG to continue releasing firmware updates for the BH200. There is no reasonable excuse to stop providing updates.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I tried watching Public Enemies Blu Ray and it will not play. I do not get to the disc menu just a black screen after the initial start.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well I should mention that I am running March 2009 firmware and Public Enemies will not play. This is the first issue I've had with it not playing a newly released Blu Ray.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue /forum/post/17687964

Hold on there. The BH200 launched as a 1.0 player. Period. BonusView (1.1) came later in a firmware update. As did 2.0. Repeated posts to the contrary won't change the fact that the BH200 launched as a BD 1.0 player.

Even worse. Still, does not change the fact it was spec'ed at a 1.1 player from the get-go. BD-Live was announced with it, but required an extra piece of hardware so future firmware updates couldn't count on it being attached. i.e. some fixes/changes can't happen because it was not built into it.

But FYI:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/cros...l-profile.html

Quote:
Due before the end of October, LG's new dual-format player may end up being the first Blu-ray player to hit the market with secondary BD-Java support.

As we've previously reported, the BDA has mandated all that Blu-ray players launched after October 31, 2007 include a series of features (including full BD-J support) in order to be Profile 1.1 compliant. The updates will enable a series of functions not supported by current Blu-ray players, including true video picture-in-picture playback.

Although to date, no manufacturer has released a Profile 1.1 player ahead of the BDA deadline, LG said yesterday that its soon-to-street BH200 dual-format player will include "full profile specifications" for Blu-ray players....

BH200 was on the cusp of 1.1 being a requirement by the BDA. LG had to choice on the matter.

Quote:
Elsewhere in your posts you referred to things you know but can't share. That's just plain pompous and rude.

Oh well. Here is a post by samsungmaster a few weeks ago regarding it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=654
Quote:
I don't think you read my post correctly. LG is not responsible for the s/w fix, a third party is. That is where the delay is.

Get it? It's not LG who's stallin'

Quote:
We can agree on one thing though. The Broadcom chip is the probable stumbling block to speedier updates (since the BH200 and the Samsung have that chip in common).

I fully expect LG to continue releasing firmware updates for the BH200. There is no reasonable excuse to stop providing updates.

Yes, it certainly is. That's probably why they are not being used anymore by Samsung or LG.

As for updates, keep dreaming. I expect 1 maybe 2 more and that'll be it for the BH200. Unplayable/problem discs pile up. I don't have the patience to wait for an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbob /forum/post/17687978

I tried watching Public Enemies Blu Ray and it will not play. I do not get to the disc menu just a black screen after the initial start.

Try clearing your cache (or whatever it's called in the player). If you have a USB drive in it, Remove it. Sometimes Universal tries to auto-load BD-Live crap.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 /forum/post/17687447

I don't know how much water that argument will carry. The ethernet port exists first and foremost because it was a requirement for HD-DVD.

Holy crap! I totally forgot about HD-DVD! What a difference a year makes.

Nevermind my other point, you're right.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D /forum/post/17688500

Holy crap! I totally forgot about HD-DVD! What a difference a year makes.

Nevermind my other point, you're right.

Poor HD DVD

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17688709

Poor HD DVD

It certainly was the superior consumer format!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos /forum/post/17688832

It certainly was the superior consumer format!

Full spec'ed from Day 1. The reason why the BH200 is a mess is not because of HD DVD; I can tell you that. It's the ever changing BD+ crap the studios use (which does nothing, BDRips pop up of every movie 1+ month before its 'official' release

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17688969

Full spec'ed from Day 1. The reason why the BH200 is a mess is not because of HD DVD; I can tell you that. It's the ever changing BD+ crap the studios use (which does nothing, BDRips pop up of every movie 1+ month before its 'official' release

Amen bro!

I had an A1 then an XA2 and both where superb players and played every single disc released!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17688969

[HD DVD was] Full spec'ed from Day 1. The reason why the BH200 is a mess is not because of HD DVD; I can tell you that. It's the ever changing BD+ crap the studios use (which does nothing, BDRips pop up of every movie 1+ month before its 'official' release

Something we can all agree on!

But that LG jumped-in with both feet, and sold some not-insignificant number of players, is reason enough to expect they would try to keep-up with fixing the bugs...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/17689618

Something we can all agree on!

But that LG jumped-in with both feet, and sold some not-insignificant number of players, is reason enough to expect they would try to keep-up with fixing the bugs...

Well, the number is actually pretty insignificant. 100k was a high guess...but I think it was way less.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/17687552

You're correct...no USB port on the 5000, but the exact amount of on-board memory is still a murky topic and was never fully resolved.

I'm assuming someone opened it up at some point? IIRC, it was 256MB internal.

·
Banned
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky /forum/post/17692713

Will the BH200 play "ALL" Blu Ray Discs with the March 2009 firmware?

Dude. We get it. I only hope you are this persistent in calling LG to complain about the BH200 updates and fixes.

721 - 740 of 1084 Posts