AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2675 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
I have the Sony Black Pearl HyPyke so bring that BH-200 on up here to Pennsylvania and we can really test it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
Did you play standard dvds upscaled? this On the bh100 its not that great either at 1080p but upscaling to 720p helps also 480p. Also some times players don,t marry well with certain displays, The LG might look great on one display and not good on another. So till moe peple buy this and we get a better mix of display types i'll be sceptical of one review. since my LG BH100 looks outstanding on my Electrohome Marqee 8000 at 1080p.

I find it hard to belive the second gen player could look worse. If it had analog outs i'd go get one too and review it extensivly. the analog outs of the BH 100 are extreamly good sounding and I dont know why they excluded them. hopefully they's come out with a top of the line model with this featuer.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/11972525


Did you play standard dvds upscaled? this On the bh100 its not that great either at 1080p but upscaling to 720p helps also 480p.

At your suggestion I tried forcing the player to 480p and 720p while viewing standard def DVDs.


No real improvement. Still as bad as before. In the word of the Grinch, "all the noise, noise, noise, noise!" Plus, mpeg blocking everywhere. More blocks than a Lego factory explosion. I tried 2 different SD flicks with the same results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
Hmm wonder if the Demo unit is not a full unit yet? no macro blocking with the BH100 for me and also after the latest firmwear updates i have had no probs with any disc! I hope LG didnt mess up with the BH200, that be a sad thing for the offspring of the BH100 which i think is an excelent player.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update:


I got some more discs today, all HDDVD, and I've crashed the player twice so far. Once on Casablanca and once on Black Rain. Both times I selected commentary tracks from the special features menu. I was able to get it to work after a reboot.


Both times it crashed I had to power off with the remote. Stop would not work and none of the menus either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I also believe that this is probably a unit with limited/unfinished features...they had to ship those probably a month ago, or longer, and they weren't really ready yet...thats why it says 'do not sell'..if the unit had been ready for mass-production at that time, they would have started selling them already, especially consdering that they are in a 'race' with Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulacawa /forum/post/11976588


I also believe that this is probably a unit with limited/unfinished features...they had to ship those probably a month ago, or longer, and they weren't really ready yet...thats why it says 'do not sell'..if the unit had been ready for mass-production at that time, they would have started selling them already, especially consdering that they are in a 'race' with Samsung.

Another thing , None of the display units are actually connected to the TV. its the bose sytem plying the demo for it. And wehn i asked for them to connect it they said that they cant for resons they coulld not tell me.


I'd take it back and wait for an actual stock item to be out ofr sale.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
How bizarre is that, BB "maybe" selling "unfinished" units? In a way I hope this is the case because I paid for one in full and I'm just waiting for the stock to come in.


I hope MY unit will be fully functional, especially all the key features, 24p, BD-Live, HDi, etc..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp683 /forum/post/11977554


How bizarre is that, BB "maybe" selling "unfinished" units? In a way I hope this is the case because I paid for one in full and I'm just waiting for the stock to come in.


I hope MY unit will be fully functional, especially all the key features, 24p, BD-Live, HDi, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulacawa /forum/post/11976588


I also believe that this is probably a unit with limited/unfinished features...they had to ship those probably a month ago, or longer, and they weren't really ready yet...thats why it says 'do not sell'..if the unit had been ready for mass-production at that time, they would have started selling them already, especially consdering that they are in a 'race' with Samsung.

Guys, this is wishful thinking. The box is "complete" hardware wise. Again, it may need an upgrade of firmware but what player hasn't? It is already "feature complete". The 24p issue is more than likely my set. All other features match the specs. This unit is coming out this month according to the LG press release. That is, what, a week or two from now.


As for the reason it was not "hooked up", the player is not actually PART of the display. It is "on display" with the LG set and bose speakers. Since the player and all the buttons are easily accessible to people walking by, the looped video is fed from somewhere else. There is a panel with buttons that you can hit to select more information that then plays on the screen.


See the pic here .


All the "shortcomings" of this player have been known since the player was seen at CEDIA. No 5.1 analogs was by design apparently. No press release has ever mentioned support for Dolby TrueHD that I can tell. As far as the standard def DVD playback, that would be the one thing that the player would ship with intact, fully working. DVD playback is not an unknown or still evolving technology. Plus take into account that it's my 'opinion' that it is awful.


This is also not the first HDDVD or Blu-Ray player to crash occasionally. For more info see anything made by SONY.


If the Samsung player will indeed sell for 799 as stated in this or another thread recently, then it will kill the LG. Sorry, it's true. For me personally, I am satisfied. The video performance of the HD discs is great. Besides one or two minor issues the unit performs well in my setup and I am glad to finally have a dual format player and to not have to wait until December to get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
That BLOWS display is just weird. Obviously the idea of some typically clueless marketing bozo. What a waste of a player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
HyPyke, a few questions if I may...


Where did you get this information from:


*The player will re-compress the new formats to DTS on the fly. Never heard of this before. Guess since it does not have 5.1 analog outs this is a compromise. It will send the DTS out the digital output or HDMI. Since my HDMI is going to a new receiver that supports the new codecs and I pass everything to it directly I have no idea how good the re-compression is.


and


is there any way to verify if it is in-fact a profile 1.1 or 2.0?


and


According to you it cannot pass DTS-HD MA via bitstream but according to Cnet's website: Update: This post has been updated to reflect that LG has confirmed that the BH200 can output DTS-HD Master Audio in bitstream format


Could it be your receiver that doesn't decode DTS-HD MA? Just trying to clearify some questions I have, sorry. I appreciate you posting all this information, I'm anxious to get mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp683 /forum/post/11979610


HyPyke, a few questions if I may...


Where did you get this information from:


*The player will re-compress the new formats to DTS on the fly. Never heard of this before. Guess since it does not have 5.1 analog outs this is a compromise. It will send the DTS out the digital output or HDMI. Since my HDMI is going to a new receiver that supports the new codecs and I pass everything to it directly I have no idea how good the re-compression is.


and


is there any way to verify if it is in-fact a profile 1.1 or 2.0?


and


According to you it cannot pass DTS-HD MA via bitstream but according to Cnet's website: Update: This post has been updated to reflect that LG has confirmed that the BH200 can output DTS-HD Master Audio in bitstream format


Could it be your receiver that doesn't decode DTS-HD MA? Just trying to clearify some questions I have, sorry. I appreciate you posting all this information, I'm anxious to get mine.


The DTS recompression is in the menu. It asks you how to output the sound and one of the options is to recompress to DTS. This can be sent over the HDMI or SPDIF connections. I am sure this will be detailed in the manual when it is posted to the web.


I didn't say that it could not pass DTS-MA. I said that it could not pass Dolby True-HD. This was announced before the player came out. My receiver can decode it but the player decodes it to PCM 2 channel and sends that instead. This is supposed to be remedied in a firmware update as I understand. I looked for the article I read that in but I can't find it at the moment.


All of the press material says that it supports profile 1.1. I have no way to verify this. I have no profile 1.1 discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
HyPyke, your review sounds pretty negative, but then you say you are happy with the player. I just want a player that is good at playing movies, and it's going to have problems when I load Pirates of the Caribbean, 300, Transformers, etc. If you aren't worried about sound, but simply just being able to watch a movie without issues, is this a good player? My TV doesn't support 24p, and my audio receiver won't support DTS-MA or TrueHD, so those make no difference to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts

Quote:
I just want a player that is good at playing movies, and it's going to have problems when I load Pirates of the Caribbean, 300, Transformers, etc.

Yes, I would be very interested to know if it has any problems with some of the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles titles that have been a PITA on the HTPC and PDVD. These are "Surf's Up", "Fantastic IV 2", as well as "Transformers" and a few others. Some of this is caused by stupid new DRM, as I understand it. Nice that Hollywood is more concerned about piracy than about letting their paying customers use the product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguapolo17 /forum/post/11983277


HyPyke, your review sounds pretty negative, but then you say you are happy with the player. I just want a player that is good at playing movies, and it's going to have problems when I load Pirates of the Caribbean, 300, Transformers, etc. If you aren't worried about sound, but simply just being able to watch a movie without issues, is this a good player? My TV doesn't support 24p, and my audio receiver won't support DTS-MA or TrueHD, so those make no difference to me.

Well, it has a fantastic picture and supports all the interactive features of both formats 'at this point'. I would say that it does not fit the "good all around player" moniker because of the poor standard def DVD quality.


If you can wait for the Samsung, then, by all means, wait. It certainly sounds like the best "all around player" based on:


1. The specs provided by Samsung

2. The preview at hdguru.com

That, plus the fact that the price was already reported to be 799 at Crutchfield (Printed catalog). UPDATE: Apparently, according to another thread they are not honoring this price as it was a mistake. The Samsung may be 999 after all.


If all this holds up there is no doubt, the Samsung is the way to go.


I wanted the player, NOW however.



I'd waited forever and I wanted it before Ronin and Blade Runner come out. I wanted to go ahead and start enjoying 1080p movies on my set without having to resort to "other" means (*cough*usenet*cough).


Plus, I took a chance to be on the bleeding edge. Had I paid the full 999, which I was prepared to do at the time, I would be a bit disappointed but I did get what I wanted which was a dual format player that supported all the interactive features. The previous LG did not fit that bill obviously.


Now, the really sticky point in your post was, "being able to watch a movie without issues". Based on my research there is no "safe" bet here. All of the players have their quirks. MANY have needed upgrades to play newer discs and some have been upgraded several times. That is one of the reasons why they all (ok, most) have ethernet jacks. To be honest, you really won't be able to avoid those kinds of problems altogether. The moment a player comes out it "should" be able to support all the discs released up to that point. Beyond that there is no guarantee.


The reason my review sounds negative is because it is not a perfect machine and I was trying to make sure that folks understood the shortcomings. For example, I don't need 5.1 analog outputs because I have a new receiver that supports the new codecs. Analog output are VERY important to those who have slightly older gear. I don't care about standard def DVD playback because I am not giving up my HTPC and it's ability to disable all the disc and player prohibitions and jump straight to the movie, plus it has stellar upscaling and image processing. People who want a do-it-all machine do care.


Right now I am loving being able to watch HDDVD and Blu-Ray movies in 1080p with awesome digital sound. None of the problems I ran into so far have been particularly maddening or frequent enough to be an issue. But, I also knew what to expect out of HDDVD and Blu-Ray in general, as I'd read volumes on the players that were already out.


Hope that clears things up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDAstro /forum/post/11983464


Yes, I would be very interested to know if it has any problems with some of the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles titles that have been a PITA on the HTPC and PDVD. These are "Surf's Up", "Fantastic IV 2", as well as "Transformers" and a few others. Some of this is caused by stupid new DRM, as I understand it. Nice that Hollywood is more concerned about piracy than about letting their paying customers use the product.

I would love to be able to tell you about them but I don't have any of those discs and don't plan on renting those particular titles. If there is someone with a good rep on this forum who lives in the north ATL area and has those discs I would not be opposed to letting them come over and throw them at my player for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,439 Posts
Like others have mentioned, great review, and thanks for the honesty. Even with all its faults, if there's a substantial gap between this guy and the Samsung, I could see getting the LG to "tied me over" until something better comes along. Samsung or otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke /forum/post/11983897



Now, the really sticky point in your post was, "being able to watch a movie without issues". Based on my research there is no "safe" bet here. All of the players have their quirks. MANY have needed upgrades to play newer discs and some have been upgraded several times. That is one of the reasons why they all (ok, most) have ethernet jacks. To be honest, you really won't be able to avoid those kinds of problems altogether. The moment a player comes out it "should" be able to support all the discs released up to that point. Beyond that there is no guarantee.



Well, I currently just have the A2, and have not had ANY issues whatsoever. However, I bought about 11 blu-ray discs when Circuit City and Amazon had the BOGO offer, so now I really want a combo player, and would prefer one with BD 1.1 and 2.0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
It looks like this player doesn't have the latest firmware that the release models will have loaded on them. I can't see them shipping out a final product with all the issues mentioned above.
 
21 - 40 of 2675 Posts
Top