AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 2675 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr /forum/post/14048866

FYI, Crutchfield has more in stock and the $20 off coupon still works.

I couldn't find a price or "buy" button but maybe you called i.e. their website is not uptodate?

I did read somewhere a spokeperson for LG saying "we're discontinuing combi players in the fall" which implies they have parts in the manufacturing pipeline, and so bodes well for availability wrt those of us still in the market for this one.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts

Quote:
I did read somewhere a spokeperson for LG saying "we're discontinuing combi players in the fall" which implies they have parts in the manufacturing pipeline, and so bodes well for availability wrt those of us still in the market for this one.

Actually, LG has no more BH200's, at least according to a dealer I know. He called his LG rep last week to check availability and was told LG is out of these players now. What is in dealer's hands is all there is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi, I just read all 60 pages as I got my BH 200 yesterday. I downloaded and burned the CD of the latest firmware. But I can not find the driver refferred to in many boxes. I called LG and they said there is no driver for the BH 200! Sounds impossible, but true,. Can anyone please give me the link? Thanks, Barry.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George /forum/post/14051944

Actually, LG has no more BH200's, at least according to a dealer I know. He called his LG rep last week to check availability and was told LG is out of these players now. What is in dealer's hands is all there is.

Well, perhaps it is indeed the case that they've built all they're ever going to build, but given what I read it is also possible that they have another manufacturing run planned, and then THAT would be the end of it. It would not be unusual for a mfr to have their distribution channels run dry while they plan for one final production run (which they'd do both because they PLANNED such a thing and/or they've been getting final deliveries of parts from suppliers). Lots of reasons this could happen, but especially I suppose that they've had to negotiate final P.O.s with suppliers to whom they'd made (originally much larger) part-purchase committments.

Toshiba's bailout no doubt has caused all sorts of chaos even with LG, who'd believed at first they'd "stay the course". Nice try...

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/14055606

LG 1st line support are clueless. Read the first post of this thread, it should answer all your questions and then some:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

The 0702 driver is mentioned in it and where to get it from.

Thanks for trying to help.

So, I had read that, and I had been to that site and downloaded the firmware update and burned it to disc. It is 37.1 MB and is named LG-BH-LV221BH.ROM But is that the firmware or the drivers. I am lead to believe that is the firmware. Where is the other piece? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiller48 /forum/post/14056454

Thanks for trying to help.

So, I had read that, and I had been to that site and downloaded the firmware update and burned it to disc. It is 37.1 MB and is named LG-BH-LV221BH.ROM But is that the firmware or the drivers. I am lead to believe that is the firmware. Where is the other piece? Thanks for your help.

You get the 702 driver update by hooking the player to the internet and then going to the "Network Update" selection in the player's setup menu. Just click on that and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes that's the firmware. The driver is also in the thread I gave a link for. Search for 0702 Driver and you'll see the section

The Firmware is on LG's Service Sites but the Driver is not. It's not known why. The Driver was sent to me by an LG Engineer and I've uploaded it to MegaUpload.com. It's definitely the same update that is also available over Ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMM1 /forum/post/14057995

You get the 702 driver update by hooking the player to the internet and then going to the "Network Update" selection in the player's setup menu. Just click on that and follow the instructions.

That's one option but the other is to download it and put it on a USB Stick.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/14060178

Yes that's the firmware. The driver... download it and put it on a USB Stick.

Sorry but I'm confused. There are actually TWO updates one needs to perform to the BH200: the DRIVER and the FIRMWARE? The FIRMWARE is updated via a menu on the BH200, and the DRIVER gets updated just by inserting a USB stick w/the JBL2.ROM file on it?

I wonder bradavon how you managed to learn about the driver, and how had you not made this info available here were others supposed to get their player's "drive driver" updated???

·
Registered
838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/14060578

Sorry but I'm confused. There are actually TWO updates one needs to perform to the BH200: the DRIVER and the FIRMWARE? The FIRMWARE is updated via a menu on the BH200, and the DRIVER gets updated just by inserting a USB stick w/the JBL2.ROM file on it?

I wonder bradavon how you managed to learn about the driver, and how had you not made this info available here were others supposed to get their player's "drive driver" updated???

I'm not bradavon, but I will say that he has all the info one could ask for here:

He has maticulously, painstakenly, and continuously contributed information, help & support for the BH200

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:

You can update both via USB. Do the firmware first. Put it in the root, by itself, of the USB drive. Turn on the LG and it will find it and prompt you to install it. After the firmware update, delete the firmware file from the USB stick and copy the driver file to it. Plug the USB drive in, turn on the LG, it will find it and prompt you to install it.

I updated 2 LG's this way and it worked great.

Love this machine...

MEC2

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair /forum/post/14062563

I'm not bradavon, but I will say that he has all the info one could ask for here:

He has maticulously, painstakenly, and continuously contributed information, help & support for the BH200

Ha, ha! His FAQ is why I was confused!

I've just never heard of a consumer player that needed both fw and driver updates, as separate downloads & procedures. Though apparently the "driver update" is NOT something that LG normally would ask a consumer to do, since bradavon has posted it on megaupload i.e. it's not readily available from LG.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
LG is more computer components (where driver updates are the norm) versus some of the other manufacturers...so it does make sense that they would allow these updates.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/14064088

LG is more computer components (where driver updates are the norm) versus some of the other manufacturers...so it does make sense that they would allow these updates.

Thanks--I in fact have their GCC-H20L BD-HD DVD combo drive (with burner) in a PC so know whereof you speak. I wonder, without having searched this thread, if anyone here has ID'ed the ROM drive used in the BH200 player...curious because if I buy the BH200 which-is-being-closed-out I'll want also to consider getting a PC drive that I might use if the BH200's fails?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hope LG is working on new firmware. I find it really distracting when I get the video/audio blackouts. Interestingly, I put a normal DVD in the player yesterday and it played perfect. It was the first time I had played a normal DVD and I couldn't believe how fantastic the picture was from the LG. After that I put the HD DVD Alexander Revisited in and got three video/audio blackouts. I don't believe my system is the problem. The player is connected to a Denon AVR4308 via a 1.3a 3 foot HDMI cable. From there the AVR is connected to a LG 50 inch plasma.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:

Sorry but I'm confused. There are actually TWO updates one needs to perform to the BH200: the DRIVER and the FIRMWARE?

Correct.

Quote:

The FIRMWARE is updated via a menu on the BH200, and the DRIVER gets updated just by inserting a USB stick w/the JBL2.ROM file on it?

Yes and No. Firmware is usually installed by CD/DVD/USB but if you're running the March firmware you can upgrade to the April firmware by Ethernet too (confirmed). Driver upgrades can be upgraded by CD/DVD/USB/Ethernet, it's up to you and makes no difference.

With the March, April and new firmware upgrades you'll be able to upgrade both Firmware and Driver by Ethernet.

Quote:

Emptychair has kindly answered for me but to answer directly.

An LG Engineer e-mailed me the driver update. I then decided to upload it for others to download. They don't know why LG haven't put it on their website. To explain the LG Engineer is American but it's LG Korea who release the firmware and update the various service sites.

I appreciate the Driver download may appear dubious but I can assure you it's official. I still have the PMs/E-mails about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair /forum/post/14062563

Thank you. It's appreciated. I've done my best to mention other members names when they've been involved as 99% of the work has been dealt with by others. I then took all this information and combined it into one FAQ or rather Mini-FAQ as it's not there to replace the manual.

Not much is happening at the moment in terms of updates but I can assure everyone at the point I post this it's fully accurate and up to date. I've tried to make it as clear as possible, for users who're less technical and I have written it in a format North Americans will hopefully feel more comfortable with (e.g - American date format). I appreciate this is a North American forum first and foremost. If I use lingo not used in North America or sections don't make any sense, please say and I'll update it.

I hope it continues to be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/14063668

Ha, ha! His FAQ is why I was confused!

I'm sorry to hear that.

I appreciate it is bewildering to understand when you're knew to it. Luckily for me I joined at just the right time when the March firmware was originally released (which finally gave us lossless audio on the BH200) and then kept my nosey beak involved when all the hacks were being developed

Quote:

I've just never heard of a consumer player that needed both fw and driver updates, as separate downloads & procedures.

It is unusual but it is has it's benefits. Usually the components that are updated by the Driver are enclosed inside the firmware upgrade, this maybe overkill when in the case of the 0702 driver it only updates a handful of problem discs, specifically related with the ROM on the driver bay itself.

Quote:

Though apparently the "driver update" is NOT something that LG normally would ask a consumer to do, since bradavon has posted it on megaupload i.e. it's not readily available from LG.

Correct. I believe LG officially expect you to download the driver over Ethernet. By all means if you're feel happier installing it this because of this please do so

Personally I put both on a USB Stick and updated at the same time. For me I found it quicker and easier.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly /forum/post/14066868

I hope LG is working on new firmware. I find it really distracting when I get the video/audio blackouts. Interestingly, I put a normal DVD in the player yesterday and it played perfect. It was the first time I had played a normal DVD and I couldn't believe how fantastic the picture was from the LG. After that I put the HD DVD Alexander Revisited in and got three video/audio blackouts. I don't believe my system is the problem. The player is connected to a Denon AVR4308 via a 1.3a 3 foot HDMI cable. From there the AVR is connected to a LG 50 inch plasma.

This has been a long running issue on many players... I would try a few things, on your end, just to see if you can notice a difference. 1) direct HDMI to television and 2) different HDMI cable or input 3) use component and optical

Why do I recommend this? I have watched 40 BDs and 10 or so HDs with never a drop. Ever. I can't imagine your player would do differently in my setup. Using #3 would be the ultimate test. If you still have drops, then it isn't the HDMI chain. At least you'd know then...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you tried different HDMI inputs on your receiver to see if they all behave the same way?

Also, do you have your HDMI cable running parallel to any power cables? That can introduce a lot of noise which could adversely impact HDMI stability (probably not an issue for you if your cable is only 3-ft long though)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly /forum/post/14066868

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat /forum/post/14067198

Have you tried different HDMI inputs on your receiver to see if they all behave the same way?

Also, do you have your HDMI cable running parallel to any power cables? That can introduce a lot of noise which could adversely impact HDMI stability (probably not an issue for you if your cable is only 3-ft long though)...

The Toshiba XA2 never had a problem. This is the second BH200 I've had and both have done this. I changed the HDMI cable a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't sure but I think the first one wasn't 1.3 compliant. No power cables near it. I could go component with optical but I really like the one cable idea. In addition, I have the BH200 bitstreamed to the AVR. It decodes what ever is thrown at it. This has been a long running problem and I believe LG is working on it. Looking back through the thread you will see I'm not the only one that experiences these problems. For a while I was wondering if maybe the LG plasma needed a firmware upgrade but since the XA2 never had one problem, I felt the TV was probably ok. Since the newest firmware, the problem has at least decreased.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi,

The reason I brought it up is because I have an LG BH200 and a Samsung BD-UP5000, and have had the same dropout problem you describe with both of them.

I had a Toshiba A2 and didn't have any problems either, but I think it all comes down to tolerance levels (the Toshiba units seem much more tolerant in terms of HDMI connections).

I started with a BH200, and was having dropouts. I decided to pick up a Samsung dual player to see if it was better, and it ended up having more dropouts than the LG at first.

I did a little bit of experimenting, and found that if I connected the Samsung to my Onkyo 705 using HDMI input 3 rather than input 2, the problem was fixed. I went from having many dropouts to none.

A few days later, I was watching a movie on the Samsung, and found that everytime I paused the movie, my amp seemed to think it was losing the connection on the audio (I could tell by looking at the display on my amp), and when I resumed the movie, the amp had to re-lock-on to the audio signal.

It was kinda strange, because the video wasn't dropping, just the audio. And, it hadn't be doing this previously.

I looked at my cabling, and discovered that I'd moved some cables around, and my HDMI cable was running parallel to an AC cable. I moved the cable away, and now when I pause/unpause, it no longer does this "connection re-establishment".

I'm thinking the handshaking isn't overly robust on either the LG or the Samsung, and the electrical interference was enough to push it over the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly /forum/post/14067549

The Toshiba XA2 never had a problem. This is the second BH200 I've had and both have done this. I changed the HDMI cable a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't sure but I think the first one wasn't 1.3 compliant. No power cables near it. I could go component with optical but I really like the one cable idea. In addition, I have the BH200 bitstreamed to the AVR. It decodes what ever is thrown at it. This has been a long running problem and I believe LG is working on it. Looking back through the thread you will see I'm not the only one that experiences these problems. For a while I was wondering if maybe the LG plasma needed a firmware upgrade but since the XA2 never had one problem, I felt the TV was probably ok. Since the newest firmware, the problem has at least decreased.

1781 - 1800 of 2675 Posts