AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 2318 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone have any update if the new firmware 04.70.05 is now working with passing 5.1 PCM over eARC?

Been waiting and checking this thread so I can get a new receiver with eARC support but it doesn't make sense yet given that my gaming PC will be hooked straight to the TV to take advantage of G-Sync.

If anyone could please confirm it would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Anyone have any update if the new firmware 04.70.05 is now working with passing 5.1 PCM over eARC?

Been waiting and checking this thread so I can get a new receiver with eARC support but it doesn't make sense yet given that my gaming PC will be hooked straight to the TV to take advantage of G-Sync.

If anyone could please confirm it would be very appreciated.
I believe I read somewhere that LG has indicated not until early 2020 will there be 5.1 PCM over eARC.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Can I ask you guys a question?

I tried using the TV's AirPlay to watch a movie with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
The C9 played the movie flawlessly with Dolby Vision but even with eARC on, all I get is 5.1 surround to the AVR.
I tried playing the audio directly to the AVR. But that is event worst. The audio will be in Stereo.
This is without any Apple 4K TV box. But using the Apple AirPlay feature of the TV that is able to play Apple TV content.

Anyone had any luck playing content from the Apple TV app on your phone or iPad directly to the TV and get Atmos?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm picking up the new NVIDIA Shield Pro today which support pass-through of DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, and many other audio formats.

The Shield will connect to the TV. TV is connected to the Denon AVR-X3600H which supports eARC.

I'll be using Plex to play various MKV files. I am hoping all those audio formats pass-through without any hiccups.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I'm picking up the new NVIDIA Shield Pro today which support pass-through of DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, and many other audio formats.

The Shield will connect to the TV. TV is connected to the Denon AVR-X3600H which supports eARC.

I'll be using Plex to play various MKV files. I am hoping all those audio formats pass-through without any hiccups.
I know this question is more for the Shield thread but since you're testing for Plex would you check if your home library files containing Dolby Vision now work on the new Shield? I know the earlier models only did HDR10 for the DV titles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know this question is more for the Shield thread but since you're testing for Plex would you check if your home library files containing Dolby Vision now work on the new Shield? I know the earlier models only did HDR10 for the DV titles.
Sure, let me check if I have any Dolby Vision content. If I don't, do you know a location I can download a sample file?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Tried the various output modes on my Xbox One X and here's what the Denon app said the input was:

DTS Digital Surround:
ARC: DTS
eARC: DTS

Dolby Digital:
ARC: Dolby Audio - DD
eARC: Dolby Audio - DD

Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre:
ARC: Dolby Atmos - DD+
eARC: Dolby Atmos

For comparison, Plex on Shield direct to AVR: Dolby Atmos - TrueHD

·
Registered
38 Posts
moving my post here :D

it was originally asked here in thread "OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more

So my set up :
- LG 65C9 Oled TV with HDMI 2.1 and eARC
- Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with Atmos decode, HDMI 2.0a
- Xbox One X

So I connected the soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC (many websites mention there is eARC enable on this soundbar made available via a firmware update, mentioned by ThechRadar or Digital Trends), and Xbox One X is connected to the TV directly to leverage HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLm or VRR.

For the soundbar eARC, I've done many tests with apps directly on TV and I don't think eARC is really enable. Only Netflix can send Atmos to the soundbar (soundbar display the logo) but it's compressed DD+ Atmos, not a DD True HD Atmos.
With the LG tv configured to digital audio output on passthrough mode, when connecteing the Xbox One X also configured to out "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" I also receive Atmos sound on the soundbar (logo being displayed on it) but I have a sync issue as I have a huge delay on audio !
And absolutely impossible to correct this delay through TV settings (AV sync) nor soundbar setting (SYNC).

But if I change the audio output from Xbox One X to Dolby Digital, then the sync issue disappear !

So my guess is that the Atmos audio can't be delivered properly from Xbox to soundbar through TV as this is not real eARC. Anyone else having this issue ? any possible fix existing ?
Or should we simply wait for Samsung to make the eARC update available as they promised ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
7 Posts
moving my post here :D

it was originally asked here in thread "OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more

So my set up :
- LG 65C9 Oled TV with HDMI 2.1 and eARC
- Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with Atmos decode, HDMI 2.0a
- Xbox One X

So I connected the soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC (many websites mention there is eARC enable on this soundbar made available via a firmware update, mentioned by ThechRadar or Digital Trends), and Xbox One X is connected to the TV directly to leverage HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLm or VRR.

For the soundbar eARC, I've done many tests with apps directly on TV and I don't think eARC is really enable. Only Netflix can send Atmos to the soundbar (soundbar display the logo) but it's compressed DD+ Atmos, not a DD True HD Atmos.
With the LG tv configured to digital audio output on passthrough mode, when connecteing the Xbox One X also configured to out "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" I also receive Atmos sound on the soundbar (logo being displayed on it) but I have a sync issue as I have a huge delay on audio !
And absolutely impossible to correct this delay through TV settings (AV sync) nor soundbar setting (SYNC).

But if I change the audio output from Xbox One X to Dolby Digital, then the sync issue disappear !

So my guess is that the Atmos audio can't be delivered properly from Xbox to soundbar through TV as this is not real eARC. Anyone else having this issue ? any possible fix existing ?
Or should we simply wait for Samsung to make the eARC update available as they promised ?

Thanks !
@SuissoNaBisso
Unfortunately, this is a well-known issue. I'd suggest reading dfa973's replies on page 26 of this thread for more details.
Alternatively, visit the LG Discussion below to learn more:
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4622/audio-delay-for-hdmi-connected-dolby-sources/p1

·
Registered
38 Posts
@SuissoNaBisso
Unfortunately, this is a well-known issue. I'd suggest reading dfa973's replies on page 26 of this thread for more details.
Alternatively, visit the LG Discussion below to learn more:
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4622/audio-delay-for-hdmi-connected-dolby-sources/p1
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tried the various output modes on my Xbox One X and here's what the Denon app said the input was:

DTS Digital Surround:
ARC: DTS
eARC: DTS

Dolby Digital:
ARC: Dolby Audio - DD
eARC: Dolby Audio - DD

Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre:
ARC: Dolby Atmos - DD+
eARC: Dolby Atmos

For comparison, Plex on Shield direct to AVR: Dolby Atmos - TrueHD
Thanks for testing ! and when you moved to Dolby Atmos format, have you noticed some Lip-Sync issues / audio delay when using ARC connection versus eARC ?

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !
I think we are all in the same boat with that one. I just ended up keeping the Xbox One X connected to my TV so I can take advantage of VRR and have it set to DTS Surround sound since Dolby Atmos introduces a delay. It sucks to have to make that trade off but that's where we're at.

Reactions: Redmist

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
There is a reason for that..... and it's sort of outside of LGs control to fix it.

The native soundtrack for most game audio tracks is LPCM. This format does not support lip sync correction, but since this is the native audio format it usually delivers with no sync issues (obviously not talking about eARC on C9 since it does not support the format).

When you choose something like dolby digital, typically the game console has to 'on-the-fly' re-encode the audio into this other audio format. This often introduces what is referred to as an encoding delay. How much delay depends on the console, implementation, etc. It's also possible that Dolby Digital is not sync corrected under HDMI 2.1 as part of eARC specification (just can't recall at the moment).

Other codecs that REQUIRE sync correction might have varying degrees of success... but the root issue is the game console doing on-the-fly encoding of audio and not advertising the needed sync correction timing information to other devices in the audio chain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a reason for that..... and it's sort of outside of LGs control to fix it.

The native soundtrack for most game audio tracks is LPCM. This format does not support lip sync correction, but since this is the native audio format it usually delivers with no sync issues (obviously not talking about eARC on C9 since it does not support the format).

When you choose something like dolby digital, typically the game console has to 'on-the-fly' re-encode the audio into this other audio format. This often introduces what is referred to as an encoding delay. How much delay depends on the console, implementation, etc. It's also possible that Dolby Digital is not sync corrected under HDMI 2.1 as part of eARC specification (just can't recall at the moment).

Other codecs that REQUIRE sync correction might have varying degrees of success... but the root issue is the game console doing on-the-fly encoding of audio and not advertising the needed sync correction timing information to other devices in the audio chain.
And I contacted the Dolby support and they said, they just recommend to connect directly to the soundbar and no fix is planned for now to fix the issues when connecting to TV directly...

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #796
And I contacted the Dolby support and they said, they just recommend to connect directly to the soundbar and no fix is planned for now to fix the issues when connecting to TV directly...
LG is supposed to start supporting LPCM through eARC sometime late this year or early next year. That has a pretty good shot of resolving the issue since the latency should be quite low between the console->-TV->AVR when the console is not re-encoding the audio.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I purchased a LG SL8YG soundbar with my LG C9, which does offer lip-sync correction for the HDMI input on the soundbar. The problem is that almost all soundbars are limited to 1 or 2 x HDMI inputs, which is not enough for most people.
More proof that HDMI-DALS (Dynamic Auto Lip-Sync) is broken - Apple has quietly introduced in tvOS 13 a feature called 'Wireless Audio Sync' that will "use your iOS device to measure how long your television takes to play audio and video" and will calibrate the source (the Apple TV device) so that it sends the audio with the right delay - in perfect sync with the video.

A solution that is outside of the integrated Lip-Sync mechanism. Maybe all manufacturers should do this... :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
An I correct in understanding that the webOS apps on c9 can not output truehd atmos? Only DD atmos right? Has LG commented on this? But using the new shield TV one could get this from Netflix or Plex through the TV over eARC to an atmos soundbar right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
An I correct in understanding that the webOS apps on c9 can not output truehd atmos? Only DD atmos right? Has LG commented on this? But using the new shield TV one could get this from Netflix or Plex through the TV over eARC to an atmos soundbar right?

That is true.
Netflix does not use Dolby True HD on any device. It uses Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos on capable devices.

As far as I understand the WebOS sdk’s for developers do not support lossless audio codecs to create WebOS apps.

Through the Shield tv you can get Dolby True HD and Atmos with Plex or Kodi.
Netflix will give DD+ on the “old” Shield and DD+ with Atmos on the new Shield (pro)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
The problem with Atmos on the Xbox One X is that it comes in a PCM container, not DD+ or TrueHD. And from what I understand lipsync correction cannot be performed on PCM sources. I suspect this is why lipsync correction isn't working when you switch to Atmos. There's not much LG can do about this. If they expand delay settings it will probably break other things such as ALLM and VRR.

781 - 800 of 2318 Posts