AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 2327 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have e activated earc in both tv and receiver but still get no sound.
1. Power OFF all of your devices.
2. Power ON only the TV - wait 5-10 seconds - the TV has sound over the internal speakers?
3. Power ON the receiver* - did it automatically switch to TV Audio? If not, switch to it. Any progress?

*the receiver might Power ON automatically - triggered by the TV.

Does the receiver have audio from another source than ARC/eARC?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Hi everyone, I an e been trying to get ARC or EARC to work on my C9 Oles with my Sony STR-DH790 receiver. I have e activated earc in both tv and receiver but still get no sound.
In the manual:

For this connection, you need to turn the Control for HDMI function on. Press AMP MENU, then press ^/v and to select “” – “CTRL.HDMI” – “CTRL ON”.​

Have you done that?

And just to make sure, did you press the TV button on the Sony remote?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I have e activated earc in both tv and receiver but still get no sound.
By this you turned on ARC in the Sound Out menu and turned on the eARC option under it as well, correct? There's an option above the eARC option. Try the passthrough setting instead of auto.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a STR-DH790 connected to a C9 and can confirm eARC is working. I have CEC enabled, the AVR set to AMP for audio out, and the display set to HDMI ARC, passthrough, with eARC enabled.

This is the only way I'm getting multichannel Dolby from games on my Win10 PC at the moment. 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone, I an e been trying to get ARC or EARC to work on my C9 Oles with my Sony STR-DH790 receiver. I have e activated earc in both tv and receiver but still get no sound.
In the manual:

For this connection, you need to turn the Control for HDMI function on. Press AMP MENU, then press ^/v and to select “” – “CTRL.HDMI” – “CTRL ON”.​

Have you done that?

And just to make sure, did you press the TV button on the Sony remote?
I did this but I am going to try it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Currently I have a Roku plugged into the TV Input on the Sony receiver. Do I need to leave the TV input open?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I did this but I am going to try it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Currently I have a Roku plugged into the TV Input on the Sony receiver. Do I need to leave the TV input open?
The optical TV Input or the RCA audio TV Input? I would disconnect those to see if it makes a difference. Did you reassign the TV audio input to another HDMI input?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The optical TV Input or the RCA audio TV Input? I would disconnect those to see if it makes a difference. Did you reassign the TV audio input to another HDMI input?

The only cables I have connected to the receiver are three hdmi cables. One going to TV one going to Game and one going to BD/DVD. Then the only other hdmi cables connected to receiver is the one going from Arc to hdmi 2 on my c9. Would having an hdmi cable plugged into the TV hdmi input cause this? The other end of that connection goes to a Roku ultra 4K.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
the only cables i have connected to the receiver are three hdmi cables. One going to tv one going to game and one going to bd/dvd. Then the only other hdmi cables connected to receiver is the one going from arc to hdmi 2 on my c9. Would having an hdmi cable plugged into the tv hdmi input cause this? The other end of that connection goes to a roku ultra 4k.
STR-DH790_Back.png
I think you are reading the labels wrong. They are to the top left of the corresponding connector.

The inputs are MEDIA BOX IN, BD/DVD IN, SAT/CATV IN and GAME IN. The output is TV OUT which is also labeled ARC.

NOTE: If your TV OUT says ARC instead of eARC then you need a firmware update according to the manual.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My ARC setup between my new, up to date firmware E9 OLED and Pioneer SC-75 AVR has been working fine for about a week. I just had DirecTV come by and install a 4K receiver which I have plugged into another input on the TV. ARC has stopped working ever since and I have tried power cycling and unplugging everything, and even reset the TV to factory settings. HDMI CEC and ARC mode are turned on on the receiver. Any tips for me? This is all really making me yearn for HDMI 2.1 receivers that don't exist yet.

The weird thing is, that before, when the HDMI-CEC wasn't set up correctly for ARC to even work, the TV wouldn't allow me to even select HDMI ARC as an output, it'd always switch back. Now it'll allow me to select HDMI ARC even after unplugging the receiver's HDMI cable. Something is wrong with the ARC setting, like something got stuck, I think.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I saw your posts regarding the Micom issue.
I had my mainboard replaced as well. And yea. My C9 looks the same as yours:

:D

I sent a message to LG.

Have you heard anything from them regarding this issue?

Edit: Just got a picture from a friend. He also has a C9. But his mainboard is still original:

His Micom version also is V3.001. Both, the model of my friend and mine are german versions of the C9.
Could it be possible that the Micom is not supposed to be updated? :D

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,253

I saw your posts regarding the Micom issue.
I had my mainboard replaced as well. And yea. My C9 looks the same as yours:

/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I sent a message to LG.

Have you heard anything from them regarding this issue?

Edit: Just got a picture from a friend. He also has a C9. But his mainboard is still original:

His Micom version also is V3.001. Both, the model of my friend and mine are german versions of the C9.
Could it be possible that the Micom is not supposed to be upgraded? /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I reached out on their forums d as me someone claimed they would get in touch with me but nothing’s happened yet.

Do you have the same eARC issue I described?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have no AVR connected to my C9 at the moment.
My AVR is broken and I am not willing to buy a new one just yet :D
Which is why I am not able to test eARC. My friend still has an older AVR that does not
support eARC. So yea. Unfortunately there no way for me to check my TV for eARC issues.

Maybe I can convince another friend to borrow me is X8500H. But chances are pretty low I guess :D

But I will keep you updated if I get a response from LG.
It would not surprise me if the Micom version has something to do with the production date of the TV.
Mine was built in April 2019. My friends C9 back in June 2019. Maybe newer models have a different Micom version for some reason.
But I am really curious to find out why stuff like WIFI/Magic Search or Adjust White Balance are marked red.
I know for a fact the LG technicians coped my White Balance over from my old mainboard. I even checked it right now to confirm this :D

So yea. Will be really interesting to see LGs response.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,255
I have no AVR connected to my C9 at the moment.
My AVR is broken and I am not willing to buy a new one just yet :D
Which is why I am not able to test eARC. My friend still has an older AVR that does not
support eARC. So yea. Unfortunately there no way for me to check my TV for eARC issues.

Maybe I can convince another friend to borrow me is X8500H. But chances are pretty low I guess :D

But I will keep you updated if I get a response from LG.
It would not surprise me if the Micom version has something to do with the production date of the TV.
Mine was built in April 2019. My friends C9 back in June 2019. Maybe newer models have a different Micom version for some reason.
But I am really curious to find out why stuff like WIFI/Magic Search or Adjust White Balance are marked red.
I know for a fact the LG technicians coped my White Balance over from my old mainboard. I even checked it right now to confirm this :D

So yea. Will be really interesting to see LGs response.
Honestly this all just leaves me even more pissed off. The tech who swapped my mainboard out was probably 60+ years old and has been servicing TVs for over 20 years. You would think that they would know about stuff like swapping my white balance values. Im supposed to now eat the cost of professional calibration because of their incompetence? The tech was more interested in how fast he could swap the board and be on his way and the only other thing he had time for was crapping on my HDMI cables because they didn't come from Costco. :mad: The 77 inch TV cost as much as a used car for Christ sake. :mad:

The magic eye and other things is probably related to some pairing/calibration process that was skipped by technicians that apparently don't know how to do their job.

In my case for sure my eARC is still behaving the way it did for people before the latest round of updates, so something is not right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Honestly this all just leaves me even more pissed off. The tech who swapped my mainboard out was probably 60+ years old and has been servicing TVs for over 20 years. You would think that they would know about stuff like swapping my white balance values. Im supposed to now eat the cost of professional calibration because of their incompetence? The tech was more interested in how fast he could swap the board and be on his way and the only other thing he had time for was crapping on my HDMI cables because they didn't come from Costco. :mad: The 77 inch TV cost as much as a used car for Christ sake. :mad:

The magic eye and other things is probably related to some pairing/calibration process that was skipped by technicians that apparently don't know how to do their job.

In my case for sure my eARC is still behaving the way it did for people before the latest round of updates, so something is not right.
Yep. Sounds really annoying. I had two guys taking care of my TV. There worked pretty fast as well.
I just sent another ticket to LG to give them some more information. Will be interesting to see their response.
I really hope the red "NGs" do not have any negative impact. I mean...yea my WIFI is working just fine. Same goes for my White Balance. I do not know how to test "Eye check" and "control" key.
To me "Eye check" and "Control key" are both sound like a QA test during production. Which obviously has not been done after the replacement :D
But maybe this stuff has something to do with the Ambient light sensor? Even this is working fine on my TV.

Usually I got a response within 1 day. So I expect to have an answer tomorrow. But maybe they will dig a bit deeper to find answers.
Questions like ours go way beyond stuff 1st level support can answer ^__^

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts

Could it be possible that the Micom is not supposed to be updated? :D
This would indicate it’s not a firmware version issue. But that means it’s either a bad firmware update, bad hardware or a missed step during the swap.

I’ve seen where on the C8 there’s an option to update the Micom using an Android remote control app.

Edit: Another possibility is that the older Micom version is fine with older versions of the boards that it talks to.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
To me "Eye check" and "Control key" are both sound like a QA test during production. Which obviously has not been done after the replacement :D

But maybe this stuff has something to do with the Ambient light sensor? Even this is working fine on my TV.
The eye is the probably the IR sensor and the control key is the power button. They’re on the small circuit board at the bottom of the TV.

One of the things that the Micom does is power on and off the TV. The fact that it can still do that means there is still some basic communication between the boards.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Honestly this all just leaves me even more pissed off. The tech who swapped my mainboard out was probably 60+ years old and has been servicing TVs for over 20 years. You would think that they would know about stuff like swapping my white balance values.
But at least the tech did update the model and the serial number to the new mainboard, per service manual instructions?

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Edit: Another possibility is that the older Micom version is fine with older versions of the boards that it talks to.
For now I think that they have (one or more) revisions of Micoms. For example:
Early models of the C9 will run Micoms with V3.00.1 (independent of te firmware version that is installed on the Mainboard). At least that would explain why my friends "stock C9" also runs on Micom V3.00.1. Maybe someone else (with a pre-June 2019 C9) could check this on his/her TV.

I am pretty sure that the technicians who changed my board followed the official instructions.
One of them had the service manual (or something like that on his phone) to make sure they do not miss a
step. From what I see in the service manual there is not that much to do.
1. Taking a picture of the Serial and white balance
2. Replacing the Mainboard
3. Re-entering the serial and white balance.

The service manual does not mention anything regarding updating the Micom etc..

The eye is the probably the IR sensor and the control key is the power button. They’re on the small circuit board at the bottom of the TV.

One of the things that the Micom does is power on and off the TV. The fact that it can still do that means there is still some basic communication between the boards.
Too me it looks like everything is normal. Sure, I am not using CEC right now, but I would expect some other problems aswell. Mainly because stuff like WIFI is also "NA". Maybe the Micom gets "linked"/"bound" to the mainboard during production? And for whatever reason this can not be done later on? Which is why some items in the In-start menu are red? While I would expect them to replace the mainboard and the T-Con in this case, it might not be necessary for the TV to function just normal?

Are we even sure that @jmpage2 problem is caused by the Micom?

But yea. We have to wait and see. If I get an update from LG I will update you aswell :D

1241 - 1260 of 2327 Posts