AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 2314 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did they really promised a fix ? I hope we can have it before ps5/Xbox next to enjoy lpcm 5/7.1 with hdmi 2.1 and vrr/120hz

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a LG CX65 connected to my Denon 4500.

When I have eARC enabled on the TV I get a lot of sound glitches out of the Denon when changing between video content (start a Netflix show, stop a netflix show, Disney + show etc, trailers etc etc). Once the movie starts playing, sound is fine.
This is the same whether using the internal apps or using my Apple TV 4k.

I’m running the latest 3.00.60 software in the TV and whatever the latest in the Denon is. I’ve tried a variety of HDMI cables including Premium certified. Thinking of trying some 8k cables.

If I turn eARC off, all sound glitches stop.

I have all of the HDMI controls in the Denon, TV and ATV turned off. I don’t want devices turning on and off when I don’t want them. (The Magic remote does control the Apple TV menu and Denon volume controls fwiw)

Strangely when I have eARC turned on, Netflix / Atmos content from the Apple TV shows as Dolby Atmos on the Denon, however with eARC turned off, the same content shows as DD+. TV audio is set to Passthru. I thought they’d be the same?

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,623

When I have eARC enabled on the TV I get a lot of sound glitches out of the Denon when changing between video content (start a Netflix show, stop a netflix show, Disney + show etc, trailers etc etc). Once the movie starts playing, sound is fine.

I’m running the latest 3.00.60 software in the TV and whatever the latest in the Denon is. I’ve tried a variety of HDMI cables including Premium certified. Thinking of trying some 8k cables.

I have all of the HDMI controls in the Denon, TV and ATV turned off. I don’t want devices turning on and off when I don’t want them. (The Magic remote does control the Apple TV menu and Denon volume controls fwiw)

Strangely when I have eARC turned on, Netflix / Atmos content from the Apple TV shows as Dolby Atmos on the Denon, however with eARC turned off, the same content shows as DD+. TV audio is set to Passthru. I thought they’d be the same?
You'd probably have to provide some more detail but if what you hear are a series of clicks from the Denon and you have more than seven channels in use on the AVR it is completely normal for it to do that when the sound format changes. Unfortunately this will happen even when just having Netflix do something like play a preview of a show.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You'd probably have to provide some more detail but if what you hear are a series of clicks from the Denon and you have more than seven channels in use on the AVR it is completely normal for it to do that when the sound format changes. Unfortunately this will happen even when just having Netflix do something like play a preview of a show.
Only running 5.1 on the Denon (plus external Zone 2 and Zone 3).

The noises aren't switching noises from the AVR itself, they are like static clicks/crackles from the speakers that change with the volume level. Again, this is only with eARC enabled.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,625
Only running 5.1 on the Denon (plus external Zone 2 and Zone 3).

The noises aren't switching noises from the AVR itself, they are like static clicks/crackles from the speakers that change with the volume level. Again, this is only with eARC enabled.
I have never experienced this with my 4500H and my C9 so perhaps this is a bug in the latest CX firmware. I would strongly advise you to engage LG on this because if they don't get user feedback about these issues they will just move on and potentially never fix them.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

The apple TV uses Dolby MAT as far as I have understood, which works with eARC but not ARC. With ARC the best you can get is DD+ which may or may not include atmos.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
The apple TV uses Dolby MAT as far as I have understood, which works with eARC but not ARC. With ARC the best you can get is DD+ which may or may not include atmos.
The C9 will convert the Dolby MAT Atmos to Dolby Digital Plus Atmos when using ARC. But there is significant lag with this particular conversion.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
This from HDFury, on the Vertex2 forum: "Also make sure TV have latest available firmware, because LG C9 just got update a few days ago for eARC as it wasn't working fine for any LPCM format before. (except stereo, so you are may be still on that old fw)." Yes!

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
This from HDFury, on the Vertex2 forum: "Also make sure TV have latest available firmware, because LG C9 just got update a few days ago for eARC as it wasn't working fine for any LPCM format before. (except stereo, so you are may be still on that old fw)." Yes!
Still seeing 04.71.25 on the Canadian and US sites.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Seeing the same on the Hong Kong and Korean sites. I've asked for the URL to the new file.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
It seems that HDFury jumped the gun. They replied to me: "Should be 04.71.25 and that fix the metadata in earc to indicate channel counts and locations, so now LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 is working, which was not working only LPCM stereo was working."
Uh, no!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I check I don’t have any update yet (France )

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
It seems that HDFury jumped the gun. They replied to me: "Should be 04.71.25 and that fix the metadata in earc to indicate channel counts and locations, so now LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 is working, which was not working only LPCM stereo was working."
Uh, no!
I also replied to them. Told them it will work if you use CRU or something like the Dr HDMI 4K on the source side as well.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I also replied to them. Told them it will work if you use CRU or something like the Dr HDMI 4K on the source side as well.
It seems to me that HDFury should have run with this opportunity, providing Dr.HDMI4K sales information, and the appropriate binary file that allows the C9, CX, and others to work as expected. That window seems to be about to close.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just had to share this. Like most of you here, I had to bypass my AVR and plug my PC directly to my TV to be able to use G-Sync. The biggest downfall is that I lost the ability to get proper HD audio from my setup : I'm using 2.0 PCM optical since my AVR doesn't support EARC (HDMI dummy screen works, but it's really not ideal in some use cases). I really didn't want to splurge on a new AVR since my current one is more than adequate and still has years of use left in it. Then i stumbled across this device : https://thenaudio.com/

It does one thing : act as a EARC capable receiver and send out the unmolested audio data to whatever HDMI input you wish (or even other digital / analog inputs). They also advertise proper lipsync implementation. This makes any non EARC / ARC hdmi product viable again in our situation, which could save a lot of people a lot of money.

I ordered one in preparation for the LPCM 7.1 firmware fix and will report if it works as advertised (there is a C9 user reporting that it does in the amazon comments).

Disclaimer : not affiliated in anyway, just think this is a tremendous device (if it works properly).
Did you receive this yet? I am anxiously awaiting your experience with it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you receive this yet? I am anxiously awaiting your experience with it!
It's supposed to arrive today (far sooner than expected). Will do a bunch of tests tonight and report back here :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a Sony HTZ9 soundbar that I connect to the TV with eARC.

I don’t have the audio lag issue that I used to get with my non eARC soundbar but I’m now worried I’m not getting the true HD sound instead of compressed stuff.

Over internal apps I know it’s compressed and my soundbar says “Dolby Atmos - DD+ 48 khz. Dolby Surround.”

Over the Xbox one x playing an atmos game set to hdmi bitstream atmos for home theatre the soundbar says “Dolby Atmos 48khz. Dolby Surround.”

When I turn eARC off on the tv the Xbox then also includes the DD+ in the info.

Lastly when watching a 4K blu ray through the one x the soundbar says “DTS-HD MA 48khz. DTS-HD”

Am I passing everything through in the correct and raw format?

Thanks so much for the help

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, regarding the SHARC EARC Audio Converter, it's looking pretty promising so far. Without any problem I was able to :
  • Bitstream Dobly TrueHD from my PC
  • Play LPCM 7.1 (using the CRU tweak)
  • Get max sound quality from the TV internal apps
I didn't have to enable CEC or anything else : just plug the hdmi and usb cables, set the TV to EARC, and that's it. The only thing I'm not sure about is Atmos (my receiver supports it, but I don't have the speakers needed, so maybe it defaults back to dd+ / truehd).

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Over internal apps I know it’s compressed and my soundbar says “Dolby Atmos - DD+ 48 khz. Dolby Surround.”

Over the Xbox one x playing an atmos game set to hdmi bitstream atmos for home theatre the soundbar says “Dolby Atmos 48khz. Dolby Surround.”

When I turn eARC off on the tv the Xbox then also includes the DD+ in the info.

Lastly when watching a 4K blu ray through the one x the soundbar says “DTS-HD MA 48khz. DTS-HD”

Am I passing everything through in the correct and raw format?
That is all correct. The internal send Dolby Digital Plus Atmos (lossy). The Xbox uses Dolby MAT LPCM Atmos (uncompressed). And that partcular disc is giving your DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless). If you try an Atmos disc then it should say something with TrueHD and Atmos in it (lossless).

1621 - 1640 of 2314 Posts