AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 2247 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only running 5.1 on the Denon (plus external Zone 2 and Zone 3).

The noises aren't switching noises from the AVR itself, they are like static clicks/crackles from the speakers that change with the volume level. Again, this is only with eARC enabled.
I have this happen to me too. Static clicks/crackles dependent on the volume, only with eARC... so many issues with sound, LG :/

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I also replied to them. Told them it will work if you use CRU or something like the Dr HDMI 4K on the source side as well.
I want to give a shout-out, and a big THANKS to Avernar for providing the solution to the Denon AVR, eARC problem. Does it work? Yes, thanks to his assistance, it works great!

Watching Mandalorian through the path: ATV4K out-->in to Dr.HDMI4k out to-->C9-->Denon X3400H, yields 5.1 channel PCM Dolby Atmos in, Dolby Surround out --my dB meter says that intermittent sound is coming from the Atmos speakers-- and Dolby Vision. Without the Dr.HDMI4K I would get 2-channel PCM, no Atmos.

Using the C9's Disney app, instead of 2-channel PCM, I get 5.1 channel Dolby Digital+ in.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I want to give a shout-out, and a big THANKS to Avernar for providing the solution to the Denon AVR, eARC problem. Does it work? Yes, thanks to his assistance, it works great!

Watching Mandalorian through the path: ATV4K out-->in to Dr.HDMI4k out to-->C9-->Denon X3400H, yields 5.1 channel PCM Dolby Atmos in, Dolby Surround out --my dB meter says that intermittent sound is coming from the Atmos speakers-- and Dolby Vision. Without the Dr.HDMI4K I would get 2-channel PCM, no Atmos.

Using the C9's Disney app, instead of 2-channel PCM, I get 5.1 channel Dolby Digital+ in.
Wait... Am I missing something. Why would you waste the C9 HDMI 2.1 port for a HDMI 2.0 device like the Apple TV 4K Box? Wouldn't this be best reserved to run through to the AVR instead and reserve the C9's HDMI ports for actual HDMI 2.1 devices that can take full advantage of the bandwidth and features?

Sorry if I missed something out. I tried checking your posts. But I couldn't find how you had to come to a conclusion that you had to resort to this method.

Or are you just testing out what the DR.HDMI4K is capable of? Then my bad. I'm just baffled at what the issue is that we had to resort to this route.

But I mean, as you mentioned many times, if the firmware update for the LG is coming in June which is just weeks away and it gains LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 passthrough, then will this make the DR.HDMI4K contraption mute?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Wait... Am I missing something. Why would you waste the C9 HDMI 2.1 port for a HDMI 2.0 device like the Apple TV 4K Box? Wouldn't this be best reserved to run through to the AVR instead and reserve the C9's HDMI ports for actual HDMI 2.1 devices that can take full advantage of the bandwidth and features?

Sorry if I missed something out. I tried checking your posts. But I couldn't find how you had to come to a conclusion that you had to resort to this method.

Or are you just testing out what the DR.HDMI4K is capable of? Then my bad. I'm just baffled at what the issue is that we had to resort to this route.

But I mean, as you mentioned many times, if the firmware update for the LG is coming in June which is just weeks away and it gains LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 passthrough, then will this make the DR.HDMI4K contraption mute?
Where is your spirit of adventure? ;)
By your paragraphs --
1. We don't have any HDMI 2.1 devices to add to the TV. If we did, this exercise might be moot.
2. Because the job could not be done any other way, at least at this price ($100). It could have been done for $400, or more, though.
3. I have been working on this project for some time. Wanted to take it to completion. Also, there have been some reports that an X3400H could not pass eARC. I advised that it could. This project proves that it does.
4. I hope that we will have audio that works as well as was originally expected. If we are blown away with LG's success, I can always remove the HDFury box, re-route my Blu-Ray player to eARC, and be happily done with it. We'll have to see what LG has in store for us.

Reactions: LiLAsN

·
Registered
220 Posts
Where is your spirit of adventure? ;)
By your paragraphs --
1. We don't have any HDMI 2.1 devices to add to the TV. If we did, this exercise might be moot.
2. Because the job could not be done any other way, at least at this price ($100). It could have been done for $400, or more, though.
3. I have been working on this project for some time. Wanted to take it to completion. Also, there have been some reports that an X3400H could not pass eARC. I advised that it could. This project proves that it does.
4. I hope that we will have audio that works as well as was originally expected. If we are blown away with LG's success, I can always remove the HDFury box, re-route my Blu-Ray player to eARC, and be happily done with it. We'll have to see what LG has in store for us.
Aww... You are the kind of person I highly respect. Indeed. The sense of discovery of what is possible and trying it out before anyone else and if it works, it means benefit for the rest of us consumers. Truly appreciate it!

Still waiting for DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter to arrive. Any later and HDMI 2.1 output devices will be here before this adapter does!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to say eARC works perfectly for me, except PCM multichannel. No sound crackling, delay or whatever on my LG C9, PS4 Pro and Yamaha RX-V385. Three weeks ago there was a firmware-update for the Yamaha's: "Stability improvements on eARC related functionality", but i have not used eARC before this update, so i can't say if there were any issues on the older firmware.

I'm just waiting for the LG PCM fix now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to say eARC works perfectly for me, except PCM multichannel. No sound crackling, delay or whatever on my LG C9, PS4 Pro and Yamaha RX-V385. Three weeks ago there was a firmware-update for the Yamaha's: "Stability improvements on eARC related functionality", but i have not used eARC before this update, so i can't say if there were any issues on the older firmware.

I'm just waiting for the LG PCM fix now.
You have the PS4 Pro to C9 to AVR and you get 5.1 without any delay??? Can you share your TV-sound and ps4-sound settings? And are you sure you don't have delay, or are u just ok with having a 250ms because you don't notice it easily?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You have the PS4 Pro to C9 to AVR and you get 5.1 without any delay??? Can you share your TV-sound and ps4-sound settings? And are you sure you don't have delay, or are u just ok with having a 250ms because you don't notice it easily?
I read about delay issues and i tested it with days gone. Gunfire sound is on point and i get 5.1 Sound.

PS4 settings:

primary output port: HDMI out
Audioformat: Bitstream DTS

LG C9 settings:
HDMI input audioformat: Bitstream
eARC on
digital audio output: Automatic

·
Registered
450 Posts
I read about delay issues and i tested it with days gone. Gunfire sound is on point and i get 5.1 Sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JB6KKrYg8c

PS4 settings:

primary output port: HDMI out
Audioformat: Bitstream DTS

LG C9 settings:
HDMI input audioformat: Bitstream
eARC on
digital audio output: Automatic
I've always had a bit of delay with bitstreamed Dolby Digital from my PS4 through my display to the AVR with ARC. That's been the case on my C7, my Q8FN, the 950G I demoed, and my current C9.

DTS, though, has never been an issue for me. Always spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I've always had a bit of delay with bitstreamed Dolby Digital from my PS4 through my display to the AVR with ARC. That's been the case on my C7, my Q8FN, the 950G I demoed, and my current C9.

DTS, though, has never been an issue for me. Always spot on.
Did a quick test on my PS4 just now. I also get a delay with Dolby Digital and ARC which drops to a very tiny delay, barely noticeable, when on eARC. DTS gives a very tiny delay, again barely noticable, on both ARC and eARC. LPCM 7.1 gives no delay at all on eARC.

Note: I'm using Dr HDMI 4K to enable LPCM multichannel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did a quick test on my PS4 just now. I also get a delay with Dolby Digital and ARC which drops to a very tiny delay, barely noticeable, when on eARC. DTS gives a very tiny delay, again barely noticable, on both ARC and eARC. LPCM 7.1 gives no delay at all on eARC.

Note: I'm using Dr HDMI 4K to enable LPCM multichannel.
I just tried this again, because I remembered the Dolby Digital sound having a huge lag over ARC. Like you said, over eARC it's considerably smaller (it's still noticeable, but not enough to bother me).

I have a question for you guys. Wasn't the CX supposed to not have DTS... "transcoder" or something? Why is it that I can set the PS4 Pro to DTS and still get 5.1 sound on through eARC? I tried DTS knowing [thinking] I wasn't gonna get any sound, but I did. Also, Dolby Digital or DTS, I get the same delay (again, not enough to drive me crazy, but still noticeable). Looking forward to that PCM update.

While I have you here, I tried some Netflix movies using regular Dolby Digital 5.1, and the rear speakers had so many more effects and background music playing compared to Dolby Atmos. Is this normal? To elaborate a bit, 1) every time there's a song playing in the background of scenes, part (only part) of the instruments are playing through the rear speakers (which is a nice effect in my opinion), and 2) many more off screen effects play noticeably through the rear speakers. While playing the same scenes with Atmos, all the music comes from the front speakers, and the effects that play through the rear speakers are very sporadic. Is this one of those things where Atmos is more "accurate" but arguably/subjectively less enjoyable because it's less of a forced, artificial spectacle?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I have a question for you guys. Wasn't the CX supposed to not have DTS... "transcoder" or something? Why is it that I can set the PS4 Pro to DTS and still get 5.1 sound on through eARC? I tried DTS knowing [thinking] I wasn't gonna get any sound, but I did. Also, Dolby Digital or DTS, I get the same delay (again, not enough to drive me crazy, but still noticeable). Looking forward to that PCM update.
It's most likely auto switching to Dolby Digital then.

As for LPCM, someone posted an EDID dump on the CX which showed it had 8 channels with the latest firmware. Could be they made a mistake. I'd have to get a EDID binary dump from a CX to verify.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have my C9 connected to my RX-A1080 by eARC and sound it lagging behind a bit. It is not bad but definitely something that draws my attention. It happens in build in apps like Netflix as well as in build in tuner TV sounds. Since the sound is lagging behind lipsync setting do no good. Is there anything I should try or is this a C9 feature at the moment? I have the latest official firmware installed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have my C9 connected to my RX-A1080 by eARC and sound it lagging behind a bit. It is not bad but definitely something that draws my attention. It happens in build in apps like Netflix as well as in build in tuner TV sounds. Since the sound is lagging behind lipsync setting do no good. Is there anything I should try or is this a C9 feature at the moment? I have the latest official firmware installed.
A very simple fix to your problem will be to engage Direct or Pure Direct Mode that most AVRs have. What this does is it shuts of a lot of the audio processing so the audio comes out super fast.
But the sacrifice is that you will lose the ability to upscale the game audio from 5.1 to include Atmos height speakers .
And Direct mode bypasses the Audio Tone Circuit (Room Correction, EQ, DSP) for your room setup. So you might get sound that is true to source which is 5.1 but it may not sound as good as having Room Correction set to On.

But reading up on your Yamaha receiver, it does has some sort of Game Mode for faster processing of the audio. So do remember to switch to that audio processing mode to see if it helps alleviate the lag. Else, Direct mode is your only option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's most likely auto switching to Dolby Digital then.

As for LPCM, someone posted an EDID dump on the CX which showed it had 8 channels with the latest firmware. Could be they made a mistake. I'd have to get a EDID binary dump from a CX to verify.
Yeah, I've seen the screenshots of the dumps with the 8 channels listed. Unfortunately, that's not what devices see for some reason. PC's (tried multiple [read 4]) see 2 PCM channels and the EDID HAS to be modified with CRU for it to work. The switch, which only does PCM doesn't work with more than 2 channels, and I just tried the PCM output in the PS4 Pro with the same results.

Forums are filled with people reporting that the CX doesn't work properly either, and other forums are keeping track of firmware updates and people complaining on how the updates are not addressing the MC-LPCM issue.

1641 - 1660 of 2247 Posts