AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2255 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thankfully I`ve never had any lip-sync problems at all. Not that I watch YT much on the TV but did a few times just to see if there were.
The youtube app is another story, it seems there is something inherently wrong with it and the SHARC doesn't fix that. Otherwise, other internal sources (Netflix, Amazon prime, ...) and external sources do work flawlessly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah, no dice. I think my PS4 is still considering the TV EDID. I set to DTS and it went through 48khz 24 bit. LPCM still locking on to 2.0.

All cables are BJC w/ ethernet. Weird.
That is weird. Good thing I haven't pulled the trigger on a SHarc yet. Maybe reach out to the company that makes it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
From personal experience, Then Audio’s support has been great! I even had an email answered on the weekend, which totally surprised me. Definitely don’t pass up the opportunity to reach out to the experts for help.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
What is all this talk about "Sharc". I did a search and found this but still not sure how this helps LG C9 users?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
What is all this talk about "Sharc". I did a search and found this but still not sure how this helps LG C9 users?
Hahaha! No... They are referring to this device that helps make your old receiver that does not have eARC get eARC through this device.

So your very old receivers that only has ARC or none at all will be able to get high quality and even uncompressed audio that is normally reserved for eARC receivers down to their old receivers.

Have a look. https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHARC-Converter-Processor-384kHz/dp/B083QPCNQN

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, no dice. I think my PS4 is still considering the TV EDID. I set to DTS and it went through 48khz 24 bit. LPCM still locking on to 2.0.

All cables are BJC w/ ethernet. Weird.
That is weird. Good thing I haven't pulled the trigger on a SHarc yet. Maybe reach out to the company that makes it.

From personal experience, Then Audio’s support has been great! I even had an email answered on the weekend, which totally surprised me. Definitely don’t pass up the opportunity to reach out to the experts for help.
Absolutely! Jim got back to me very quickly. Here was their response:

"I can easily explain the situation. Many TVs are getting updates continuously to support a better eARC experience. Basically TVs are still very bad in supporting various formats and forwarding correct information without making issues but they are getting better. The best setup to use is a passthrough instead of any auto -settings.However, even if you use player with PCM output and surely are outputting 7.1 with some TV you still hear only downmixed stereo. It is actually the player downmixing it to stereo. You can verify this when you still hear the "center channel" audio typically used for talking scenes. In real multi channel you would not hear it because left/right don't have the center channel info.

LG made an update around two months ago where it fixed the channel information forward in eARC PCM mode. However, they still have not taken into account that source won't send multi channel PCM to the TV. TV essentially blocks this by informing in its EDID that no multi channel is supported.
For gamers on PC, the best that can be done right now today is to use CRU software that lets apps send 5.1 / 7.1 PCM which then is guaranteed to work with Sharc.

Another solution is to use an existing EDID emulator to enable multi channel PCM but typically these will fail with VRR games.

Since we are aware of this problem with some TVs already I want to let you know we are testing our new EDID emulator product next week which is designed to work with VRR as well. If all goes well it will be available for purchase shortly after. It will go between the player and the TV and enables different capabilities based on DIP switch settings.

Thanks again,
Jim @ Thenaudio"

I think it's still an error on my end. Will try to cold boot later on. I'm currently at a VA hospital with a family member.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
LG made an update around two months ago where it fixed the channel information forward in eARC PCM mode. However, they still have not taken into account that source won't send multi channel PCM to the TV. TV essentially blocks this by informing in its EDID that no multi channel is supported.
The EDID has been updated to indicate multichannel LPCM is supported in the 04.80.03 firmware.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The EDID has been updated to indicate multichannel LPCM is supported in the 04.80.03 firmware.
We're on the bleeding edge. I linked them to this thread in my original email so they can have better vision on it.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Hahaha! No... They are referring to this device that helps make your old receiver that does not have eARC get eARC through this device.

So your very old receivers that only has ARC or none at all will be able to get high quality and even uncompressed audio that is normally reserved for eARC receivers down to their old receivers.

Have a look. https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHARC-Converter-Processor-384kHz/dp/B083QPCNQN
Ok, thanks! I already have an eARC capable AVR so this wouldn't apply to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do we know if we can do this with SHARC?

I connected the SHARC, but it's still advertising 2.0 rather than 7LPCM. Works great for my internal apps, but I wasn't able to run my Switch and PS4 Pro through the C9.

Using an Emotiva XMC-1. Maybe the CEC is messing things up?
What do you mean with SHARC working great with internal apps?

I though that internal apps didn't have passthrough of audio HD, saying that it doesn't matter whether you use ARC ou eARC, so no need for using SHARC.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

I though that internal apps didn't have passthrough of audio HD, saying that it doesn't matter whether you use ARC ou eARC, so no need for using SHARC.
You are correct. You don't need eARC for internal apps

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do we know if we can do this with SHARC?

I connected the SHARC, but it's still advertising 2.0 rather than 7LPCM. Works great for my internal apps, but I wasn't able to run my Switch and PS4 Pro through the C9.

Using an Emotiva XMC-1. Maybe the CEC is messing things up?

I was getting terrible audio dropouts and handshaking issues with regular ARC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was getting terrible audio dropouts and handshaking issues with regular ARC.
Same here: my experience with ARC has always been terrible. But true, if ARC works for you and you don't need to pass HD audio through your TV, no need for eARC / SHARC.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can anyone confirm if eARC still isn't working with 2017 Denon AVRs, even after the latest LG firmware update?

sad 4400H owner noises

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Can anyone confirm if eARC still isn't working with 2017 Denon AVRs, even after the latest LG firmware update?

sad 4400H owner noises
I can confirm. I have a 4400 as well. I've been in contact with Denon. So far I've proved to them it's the receiver not the tv. This last update should be the nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Response to my XMC-1 PS4 issue:

"Hello.

We could not duplicate this issue with our several AVRs and sound bars when connected to the SHARC processor. We did find though, in more close examination of the LG eARC stream that it is still slightly incorrect. LG C9 latest update FW marks the stream sample rate incorrectly for all PCM multichannel content. If the content is 48kHz it is reported as 192kHz and if it is 192kHz it is reported as 768kHz. Only stereo input is marked correctly for sample rates.

Assumedly LG did the eArc multichannel support quickly and did not bother refining the reported sample rates. Most AVRs don't care about it but it may be that yours does care about it.
In this FW update we have setup the PS4 rate as 48kHz which is what is coming in from PS4 when LG is connected."

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Response to my XMC-1 PS4 issue:

"Hello.

We could not duplicate this issue with our several AVRs and sound bars when connected to the SHARC processor. We did find though, in more close examination of the LG eARC stream that it is still slightly incorrect. LG C9 latest update FW marks the stream sample rate incorrectly for all PCM multichannel content. If the content is 48kHz it is reported as 192kHz and if it is 192kHz it is reported as 768kHz. Only stereo input is marked correctly for sample rates.

Assumedly LG did the eArc multichannel support quickly and did not bother refining the reported sample rates. Most AVRs don't care about it but it may be that yours does care about it.
In this FW update we have setup the PS4 rate as 48kHz which is what is coming in from PS4 when LG is connected."
That needs to be reported to LG.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,839
Will test as soon as I get a chance and then I will update the first thread post with the new info.

CX was being reported other issues. Have any new issues been introduced with the fix?

1821 - 1840 of 2255 Posts