AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Response to my XMC-1 PS4 issue:

"Hello.

We could not duplicate this issue with our several AVRs and sound bars when connected to the SHARC processor. We did find though, in more close examination of the LG eARC stream that it is still slightly incorrect. LG C9 latest update FW marks the stream sample rate incorrectly for all PCM multichannel content. If the content is 48kHz it is reported as 192kHz and if it is 192kHz it is reported as 768kHz. Only stereo input is marked correctly for sample rates.

Assumedly LG did the eArc multichannel support quickly and did not bother refining the reported sample rates. Most AVRs don't care about it but it may be that yours does care about it.
In this FW update we have setup the PS4 rate as 48kHz which is what is coming in from PS4 when LG is connected."
This is a serious issue if that were true. Anything higher than 48kHz can cause receivers to turn off their internal processing due to the audio source having high quality sound streamed in. And some receivers can't handle more than 48kHz in multichannel mode without having pops and clippings appear like my Marantz when selecting more than 48kHz on Windows sound settings.

The timing to the next gen output device releases are getting close and LG's slow track record of releasing updates will be of huge concern in this case. This kind of case needs a lot of people to report to pressure LG. Else, it will be like the elevated blacks issue that have yet to be fixed for people who had their TV calibrated. My goodness....

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is a serious issue if that were true. Anything higher than 48kHz can cause receivers to turn off their internal processing due to the audio source having high quality sound streamed in. And some receivers can't handle more than 48kHz in multichannel mode without having pops and clippings appear like my Marantz when selecting more than 48kHz on Windows sound settings.

The timing to the next gen output device releases are getting close and LG's slow track record of releasing updates will be of huge concern in this case. This kind of case needs a lot of people to report to pressure LG. Else, it will be like the elevated blacks issue that have yet to be fixed for people who had their TV calibrated. My goodness....
SHARC firmware (experimental)

https://thenaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/SHARC-1.1-PS4.zip

Fixed my Switch and PS4 not being able to pass through PCM to my Emotiva.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Agreed. It was sending 192 as reported by my pre/pro. Let's hope for a quick patch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Youtube only supports 2.0 Stereo anyway, so it is normal that it makes no difference.
I was able to learn that Youtube can do up to 5.1 surround thanks to someone in the forums comparing his file size with mine. I tried using another video downloader and found that it does work. Upon reporting to the company of the video downloader software that I was using, I was also able to now download that multi-channel audio stream that Youtube can do in certain videos that support it.

Again, it is limited to 5.1 and those who says it can do Atmos, clearly doesn't know what Atmos is since it is object based and requires metadata to tell the audio player where to place the audio in a 3D space.

So YouTube can actually do multi-channels up to only 5.1 surround. Here's one example.

Please ignore the Atmos title because it clearly won't be able to do that.

Here's the results from that video file.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,846
Those in the US who have deployed the FW, did you get the FW automatically or did you download the FW from the Korean site and manually update? Can someone confirm the version string?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Those in the US who have deployed the FW, did you get the FW automatically or did you download the FW from the Korean site and manually update? Can someone confirm the version string?

Thanks.
I downloaded from Korean site and the version is 04.80.03.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We did find though, in more close examination of the LG eARC stream that it is still slightly incorrect. LG C9 latest update FW marks the stream sample rate incorrectly for all PCM multichannel content. If the content is 48kHz it is reported as 192kHz and if it is 192kHz it is reported as 768kHz. Only stereo input is marked correctly for sample rates.
This is what LG gives users after making them wait for a whole year? Great... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Has anyone else confirmed this? I just tested with Windows 10 and the Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, and my Pioneer LX-503 is reporting correct sampling rates.

There are a few quirks though. 96 kHz doesn't seem to be passing through in any of the multichannel setups, but it does in stereo. This is both 16 and 24 bits. It just doesn't get passed to the AVR even though it "plays" in Windows. But all the 192kHz setups do work just fine, and the AVR is detecting it as 192kHz. Same as all the 44.1 and 48kHz setups. The 32kHz setup also doesn't pass any sound.

Another quirk is that in quadraphonic mode 192kHz I hear distorted samples, but that's a mode I'll never use.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can confirm. I have a 4400 as well. I've been in contact with Denon. So far I've proved to them it's the receiver not the tv. This last update should be the nail in the coffin.

Shame about eARC still not working, but good that you're in touch with Denon! Did you email them? Would you mind sharing the address, so I can do the same?

I think the SHARC is our only option

I'm out of the loop, what's SHARC?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you confirm you don't get any Lip Sync issue in eARC mode using TV build in apps like Youtube or with TV tuner channels?
I have RX-A1080 and Lip Sync is very off with those mentioned but it is better in Netflix app. I suspect it has got something to do with PCM being more off than those other formats…

I do not notice any degradation in picture between directly connected to TV or through my RX-A1080 from UHD BD 4K Blu-Ray for example. So I have my other devices going first to my AVR so Lip Sync from those is perfect AND I can go to AVR menus easily and see them in TV screen because using eARC seem to disable that feature.
The only app I notice a slight delay in is the built in YouTube app. Everything else works as expected. I really can't explain the better image quality when connected directly to the TV VS running everything through the Yamaha. I just know there is and its night and day. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what could've been happening on the Yamaha side.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This. It tricks the TV into thinking it's an eARC device and then passes that feed down to your AVR. I, among others on this forum, have been using it to great success.

And I am also a Denon x4400h owner. I have really enjoyed my AVR, a first Denon product I've ever owned, but after this eARC debacle I don't think I will ever get one of their products again. One of the primary reasons I went with the Denon x4400h, after nearly 2 decades of buying Pioneer AVRs exclusively, was for the "future-proof" promise of eARC.

LG is not totally absolved, either. Over a year to bring out the LPCM firmware update? And then still managed to muck it up. I really can't even begin to understand the logic or reasoning.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This. It tricks the TV into thinking it's an eARC device and then passes that feed down to your AVR. I, among others on this forum, have been using it to great success.

And I am also a Denon x4400h owner. I have really enjoyed my AVR, a first Denon product I've ever owned, but after this eARC debacle I don't think I will ever get one of their products again. One of the primary reasons I went with the Denon x4400h, after nearly 2 decades of buying Pioneer AVRs exclusively, was for the "future-proof" promise of eARC.

LG is not totally absolved, either. Over a year to bring out the LPCM firmware update? And then still managed to muck it up. I really can't even begin to understand the logic or reasoning.
So does lpcm work for you with the sharc or have you not updated y your lg

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Shame about eARC still not working, but good that you're in touch with Denon! Did you email them? Would you mind sharing the address, so I can do the same?

[email protected] hopefully this helps. We went back and forth a bunch. They blamed the tv. My saving grace is I own a 3500h as well and everything works just fine via eARC

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,856
The only app I notice a slight delay in is the built in YouTube app. Everything else works as expected. I really can't explain the better image quality when connected directly to the TV VS running everything through the Yamaha. I just know there is and its night and day. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what could've been happening on the Yamaha side.
This is why I'm highly skeptical of advice to connect everything to the AVR. Without a test set of course it's impossible to prove what is going on, but the only way to KNOW your AVR is not jacking your video signal is to not use the AVR for initial connection.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,857
[email protected] hopefully this helps. We went back and forth a bunch. They blamed the tv. My saving grace is I own a 3500h as well and everything works just fine via eARC

There are a handful of people (I think at least one in Europe as well as thread regular @LHMercer) who claim their 4400 works. In at least one case it was sent to Denon for repair and was returned working. That person claimed the FW version didn't change so the only thing I can think of is a hardware part change or something.

I just cut my losses and swapped the 4400H to a 4500H I was very fortunate to have purchased the 4400H from a vendor who was happy to let me upgrade it for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There are a handful of people (I think at least one in Europe as well as thread regular @LHMercer) who claim their 4400 works. In at least one case it was sent to Denon for repair and was returned working. That person claimed the FW version didn't change so the only thing I can think of is a hardware part change or something.

I just cut my losses and swapped the 4400H to a 4500H I was very fortunate to have purchased the 4400H from a vendor who was happy to let me upgrade it for a nominal fee.
I don't have that option unfortunately. I would love to upgrade to the 4500

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,859
I don't have that option unfortunately. I would love to upgrade to the 4500

With the release of the 4700 the price of the 4500 will go down... a lot. You might want to flip your 4400 while it is still worth something.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
There are a handful of people (I think at least one in Europe as well as thread regular @mhmercer) who claim their 4400 works. In at least one case it was sent to Denon for repair and was returned working. That person claimed the FW version didn't change so the only thing I can think of is a hardware part change or something.

Have a look:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2794073-official-2017-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a-441.html#post59772318. Does eARC work, or not?

1841 - 1860 of 2307 Posts