AVS Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I got the new 04.80.03 update, was excited and disconnected my jank fake second screen hdmi cable to my avr (Onkyo TX NR 686, no eARC, 5.1.2 setup) and thought my lg c9 now could pass more than 2 channels to my avr, but it doesn't work. My PC now gives me the option to choose pcm 5.1 and 7.1 instead of just stereo and atmos, but i get only two channels with every setting. Even when I start Atmos rips it only uses stereo, any ideas? Did the update just fix eARC and doesn't help because I just have ARC on my AVR?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
.....I have put a couple of Blue Jeans 2.1 cables in and I have only experienced a couple of audio drops with those that could possibly simply be problems with specific 4K disks.

I don't want to oversell the problems though. My last black screen occurred two weeks ago on my PS4 Pro, lasted for about three seconds, and the one before that was probably two months ago.
You can see in the C9 hidden HDMI Diagnostics menu if there are transmission errors caused by the ports or cables - the higher the HDMI data rate, the higher the error accumulation (audio counts also, so test with high bitrate audio in addition to high resolution+frames+HDR video). This way I have identified a faulty HDMI port on an HTPC and tested a bunch of cables in the process.

And the Denon X4500H hidden HDMI Diagnostics menu can actually validate your cables up to 18Gbps (the 2020 models can validate up to 40Gbps). Just loop them between MONITOR 1 output to an INPUT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually got lpcm and dolby atmos working, only problem was DTS:X so I still have to use my janky solution of pretending my AVR was a second screen, works but I'll habe to buy a audio/video hdmi splitter for the PS5 when it drops. Thanks for the advice though. But I can confirm that PCM 5.1, 7.1 and Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD as well as normal DTS (not HD Master and X) worked for me from my PC over ARC to my Onkyo TX NR 686

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have personally not had lip sync issues between my C9 and 4500H with devices connected to the C9 and passing audio through to the 4500H.
Could someone please explain really briefly how should I connect a UHD player directly to the C9 having in mind that I own a 1600 Denon receiver (eARC works great, no problems at all). I mean, where to connect each HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance! :eek:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I actually got lpcm and dolby atmos working, only problem was DTS:X so I still have to use my janky solution of pretending my AVR was a second screen, works but I'll habe to buy a audio/video hdmi splitter for the PS5 when it drops. Thanks for the advice though. But I can confirm that PCM 5.1, 7.1 and Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD as well as normal DTS (not HD Master and X) worked for me from my PC over ARC to my Onkyo TX NR 686
Again, ARC does not support HD Audio, you're limited to lossy DTS/Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital plus(w Atmos)/2-channel LPCM. It's physically not possible to transmit HD Audio like TrueHD or LPCM 5.1/7.1. For this you need eARC which the 686 does not support to my knowledge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I called Why I saw the update on morning yesterday and not anymore. They told me they took it off because there were some issues. And we need to wait it’s corrected. So avoid installing maybe for now (Europe )

·
Registered
530 Posts
Could someone please explain really briefly how should I connect a UHD player directly to the C9 having in mind that I own a 1600 Denon receiver (eARC works great, no problems at all). I mean, where to connect each HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance! :eek:
Pick one of HDMI inputs 1, 3, or 4 to use for your UHD player. Run an HDMI cable from HDMI Input 2 (ARC) to the ARC/eARC port on the back of your AVR. The end.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What comes out of the SHARC has nothing to do with eARC, it's just a standard HDMI signal, so even an old AVR could work (provided it can decode what you feed it). So yeah, you could have missed that update ! :D
Damn, I knew that. Just when I spent the same sum to update as I paid for my 77" this happened. :D
Well, I can't really complain because audio is so much better now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pick one of HDMI inputs 1, 3, or 4 to use for your UHD player. Run an HDMI cable from HDMI Input 2 (ARC) to the ARC/eARC port on the back of your AVR. The end.
In theory this will work, but if your AVR doesn't support 4K pass through you'll only get 1080p. If you have a separate Audio Our HDMI port on your UHD, connect that directly to your HDMI1 on your AVR and your main UHD HDMI out to the TV.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
In theory this will work, but if your AVR doesn't support 4K pass through you'll only get 1080p. If you have a separate Audio Our HDMI port on your UHD, connect that directly to your HDMI1 on your AVR and your main UHD HDMI out to the TV.
Connecting the UHD player to the C9 will work just fine if your AVR has functional eARC. The AVR's video passthrough capabilities are irrelevant when using eARC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Windows 10 PC is still seeing my LG B9 TV as max 2 channels. I'm on 4.80.02, is that the latest update? (Updated 2 days ago I think).

Sorry if I'm the billionth person coming in asking, kinda hard to catch up on everything in a big thread like this.

Would imagine how Windows is seeing the display with a direct connection has nothing to do with receiver support (though I have a Yamaha (TSR-5830) that hasn't been reported as specifically compatible in this thread- eARC confirmed working through built-in TV apps).

EDIT: I guess from what I'm reading the built-in apps don't actually have any eARC-specific formats being output. Without eARC enabled in the TV menu however, I don't get any audio to my receiver at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Connecting the UHD player to the C9 will work just fine if your AVR has functional eARC. The AVR's video passthrough capabilities are irrelevant when using eARC.
That's not always the case. I did tried what was suggested with an older AVR and the output was obviously not 4K.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you, DJ Lushious!

I tried that before posting here and only got sound from the tv speakers when playing a disc from the Pana (when playing any tv app such as Netflix, everything was fine though). Is there any specific setting I should be aware of?

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
The new update has definitely fixed the LPCM issues with eArc. I now get 7.1 pcm from my PS4 pro and gaming PC. I was using the CRU method on my gaming PC but did a reset before updating.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
That's not always the case. I did tried what was suggested with an older AVR and the output was obviously not 4K.
You wrote that connecting the UHD player’s main output to the C9 and then the C9’s eARC to the AVR won’t give you 4K but hooking the UHD player’s main output to the to the C9 and the UHD player’s audio output to the AVR will give you 4K. Even though in both setups the video does not pass through the AVR and goes direct from the UHD player to the C9.

Either you’re a little mixed up or really don’t understand how eARC works.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Because of the Sharc? How so

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
No, sorry I meant because of I ended up not just upgrading my AVR but all the speakers too, including adding ATMOS-heights, so no regrets really other than I could have saved 4k. :)
But in case there was gizmo like SHARC been available just couple months ago, I likely would have gotten one then and missed that upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys, anyone knows if the receiver Yamaha RX-V383 works with the eARC from LG C9? sorry if it is not the right place to ask this, but yamaha thread is a little dead now :(

Also, do I need a HDMI 2.1 cable to get eARC? or 2.0 works fine?

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,900
Hey guys, anyone knows if the receiver Yamaha RX-V383 works with the eARC from LG C9? sorry if it is not the right place to ask this, but yamaha thread is a little dead now :(

Also, do I need a HDMI 2.1 cable to get eARC? or 2.0 works fine?
No this unit does not appear to support eARC.

1881 - 1900 of 2307 Posts