AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
No this unit does not appear to support eARC.
Thanks for the reply jmpage2.

I looked into the yamaha website and it has an update that it is saying in the discription: "eARC related stability improvement"

Maybe if i update my it will work, but since there is a lot of problem regarding eARC compatibility, it will be nice to know if anyone have tried it out.

Also if it doesnt work at all, there is a way to send the audio to the receiver and video to the tv at same time from a PC?

·
Registered
98 Posts

I looked into the yamaha website and it has an update that it is saying in the discription: "eARC related stability improvement"

Maybe if i update my it will work, but since there is a lot of problem regarding eARC compatibility, it will be nice to know if anyone have tried it out.

Also if it doesnt work at all, there is a way to send the audio to the receiver and video to the tv at same time from a PC?

Use an optical digital output to AVR if you have one, or a second parallel HDMI cable feed. I do that from an xbox to Yamaha RX-V679 which is also ARC (no eARC).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,903

Then perhaps it's something Yamaha added later.

This is a 2017 model when support for eARC wasn't really available and was only available later on select (usually higher end) devices by way of a FW update.

Yamaha press release announces no eARC feature

https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/2017/20170327_rx_v83.html

and the latest version of the owner's manual doesn't appear to show any settings for eARC which normally are needed if a device has eARC so the owner can turn the feature on or off.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/891975/web_YJ186A0_EN1_RX-V383_om_UCRABGLF_En_A0.pdf

If the unit ends up not supporting eARC your options are to either use ARC and limit the audio formats you can utilize or you can get a device with multiple HDMI outputs and send the audio to the AVR separate from the video.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Or just use the SHARC : https://thenaudio.com/

I'm using it on a non eARC Yamaha AVR and it just work great : just plug your pc to the TV, plug the SHARC the the 2nd input of your TV and then plug the output of the SHARC to one of your AVR inputs and voilà : enjoy HD sound from your TV.

Reactions: Paulo Pedullo

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Windows 10 PC is still seeing my LG B9 TV as max 2 channels. I'm on 4.80.02, is that the latest update? (Updated 2 days ago I think).

Sorry if I'm the billionth person coming in asking, kinda hard to catch up on everything in a big thread like this.

Would imagine how Windows is seeing the display with a direct connection has nothing to do with receiver support (though I have a Yamaha (TSR-5830) that hasn't been reported as specifically compatible in this thread- eARC confirmed working through built-in TV apps).

EDIT: I guess from what I'm reading the built-in apps don't actually have any eARC-specific formats being output. Without eARC enabled in the TV menu however, I don't get any audio to my receiver at all.
You are supposed to see Dolby TrueHD, DTS and all under the Encoded Formats. This tells me that you do not have Nvidia HD Audio installed that enables you to transfer lossless audio in high quality. Please reinstall your Nvidia Driver and make sure you tick/check on Nvidia HD Audio to be installed as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are supposed to see Dolby TrueHD, DTS and all under the Encoded Formats. This tells me that you do not have Nvidia HD Audio installed that enables you to transfer lossless audio in high quality. Please reinstall your Nvidia Driver and make sure you tick/check on Nvidia HD Audio to be installed as well.
Thanks for the reply- all of this is shown for my HDMI connection between my PC and my receiver, but not for the connection between my PC and my TV. I updated my drivers and confirmed HD Audio was installed, and the connection to the TV with only 2 channels supported says it is using the Nvidia HD Audio controller.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The new firmware is available on the Australian site, so I downloaded it to my Australian C9 and it works -- Atmos via LPCM/MAT from the Apple TV, multichannel PCM from the disc player, all good. Took a while but got there in the end!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, i will not set my hopes high because it probably doesn't support eARC, and if it is the case i will use the SHARC, good to know that there is a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pick one of HDMI inputs 1, 3, or 4 to use for your UHD player. Run an HDMI cable from HDMI Input 2 (ARC) to the ARC/eARC port on the back of your AVR. The end.
The more I read this topic the more I wonder if I correctly configured my system. Would anyone be kind enough to look at my install and tell me if I'm not getting the most out of it?

PS4 PRO >(HDMI IN) AVR-X2600 (HDMI OUT ARC/eARC>
HTPC > (HDMI IN) AVR-X2600 (HDMI OUT ARC/eARC >
> lg C9 HDMI Input 2

Basically my devices are all connected via HDMI to my AVR and the image is sent to my TV via the HDMI OUT ARC/eARC.

The ps4 is outputting DTS/Dolby Digital to my AVR.

My HTCP bitstream DTS HD Master / True HD via LAV decoder to my AVR.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being "throttled" due to the fact my device passthrough my AVR

·
Registered
230 Posts
The more I read this topic the more I wonder if I correctly configured my system. Would anyone be kind enough to look at my install and tell me if I'm not getting the most out of it?

PS4 PRO >(HDMI IN) AVR-X2600 (HDMI OUT ARC/eARC>
HTPC > (HDMI IN) AVR-X2600 (HDMI OUT ARC/eARC >
> lg C9 HDMI Input 2

Basically my devices are all connected via HDMI to my AVR and the image is sent to my TV via the HDMI OUT ARC/eARC.

The ps4 is outputting DTS/Dolby Digital to my AVR.

My HTCP bitstream DTS HD Master / True HD via LAV decoder to my AVR.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being "throttled" due to the fact my device passthrough my AVR

Nope. No worries. You are perfectly fine. The current devices we have as of now are all HDMI 2.0 based output devices. So you are correct to connect your HDMI 2.0 devices over to the AVR directly.
Except maybe for the HTPC. But that is provided you use your PC for gaming as well and want to make use of ALLM and VRR. Then, it is best to connect it to the TV directly and use eARC to send audio through to the AVR.
If you have ARC, then I'd advice connecting your PC to the AVR especially if you are just using it for movies. ARC is the audio limitation here. eARC will help to alleviate the audio limitation.

As for your precious TV ports, leave it for HDMI 2.1 devices which can take advantage of the bandwidth and/or if you want some features like ALLM and VRR as mentioned with some HDMI 2.0 devices like the Xbox One X and PC.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hey guys, anyone knows if the receiver Yamaha RX-V383 works with the eARC from LG C9? sorry if it is not the right place to ask this, but yamaha thread is a little dead now :(

Also, do I need a HDMI 2.1 cable to get eARC? or 2.0 works fine?
Your Yamaha RX-V383 does support eARC if you update the receiver with the RX-V383/HTR-3071 Firmware Update Ver.1.14 from 2019-08-21.

Also, in 2019 it was updated to support HDCP 2.3.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your Yamaha RX-V383 does support eARC if you update the receiver with the RX-V383/HTR-3071 Firmware Update Ver.1.14 from 2019-08-21.

Also, in 2019 it was updated to support HDCP 2.3.
Thanks for the reply, i am really happy that it supports eARC :D
i am going to get my C9 real soon, and eARC will be important to play on PC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nope. No worries. You are perfectly fine. The current devices we have as of now are all HDMI 2.0 based output devices. So you are correct to connect your HDMI 2.0 devices over to the AVR directly.
Except maybe for the HTPC. But that is provided you use your PC for gaming as well and want to make use of ALLM and VRR. Then, it is best to connect it to the TV directly and use eARC to send audio through to the AVR.
If you have ARC, then I'd advice connecting your PC to the AVR especially if you are just using it for movies. ARC is the audio limitation here. eARC will help to alleviate the audio limitation.

As for your precious TV ports, leave it for HDMI 2.1 devices which can take advantage of the bandwidth and/or if you want some features like ALLM and VRR as mentioned with some HDMI 2.0 devices like the Xbox One X and PC.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this. I feel reassured now :)

You've just replied to another question I had in mind regarding ALLM. You mentioned it for PC but does ALLM supposed to work with a PS4 Pro? Because I never got a message on my C9 that ALLM was activated when I play with my PS4. Based on what you said it may be because I have to connect directly my PS4 to my TV if I want the ALLM feature. But in that case which port should I use on the TV since HDMI Input 2 is already taken by my ARV?
Can the PS4 48khz LPCM sound be transferred via ARC (I would probably connect the ps4 into HDMI Input 1 whch is not eARC)

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,914

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this. I feel reassured now /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

You've just replied to another question I had in mind regarding ALLM. You mentioned it for PC but does ALLM supposed to work with a PS4 Pro? Because I never got a message on my C9 that ALLM was activated when I play with my PS4. Based on what you said it may be because I have to connect directly my PS4 to my TV if I want the ALLM feature. But in that case which port should I use on the TV since HDMI Input 2 is already taken by my ARV?
Can the PS4 48khz LPCM sound be transferred via ARC (I would probably connect the ps4 into HDMI Input 1 whch is not eARC)
I believe only Xbox supports ALLM and VRR and we don’t know if PS5 supports either since the hardware video specs are unknown.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this. I feel reassured now :)

Yup. You noticed I never mentioned PS4 Pro when talking about ALLM and VRR because as mentioned, it is only supported on PC with some of the GPUs (like only the RTX series for VRR) and Xbox One X. Those are the only things that support ALLM and VRR right now.

And in regards to PCM with your PS4 Pro, yes, that is the BEST setting you can choose as it is the one that gives lossless audio out of the bunch. Since the PS4 Pro doesn't have any sort of object based audio implementation like Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre, it is best to use PCM for games.
You'll get 2 advantages out of this.
1) No decoding needed on the other end. So audio will not lag behind as much as using Dolby and DTS bitstream where it requires your AVR to decode the audio thus adding more lag on top of the sound. This means that you won't feel annoying seeing characters lips move and yet the audio is not in sync with it. It is obvious especially if you have Game Mode on the TV but your receiver is taking its time to decode and then adding the room correction filter on top of it. It all adds up and gives you that audio latency.
PCM was way more instant. Almost 1-1 with the video. I can verify this since I connect my PS4 Pro to both the receiver and my PC soundcard with the PC soundcard producing audio way faster than the AVR. But with PCM, this issue is almost alleviated depending on the AVR that you have.
2) Playstation doesn't have an option for Dolby TrueHD Atmos and DTS HD Master. Both their Dolby and DTS option provides lossy audio. Only PCM gives you the best of the bunch since as mentioned, it is lossless. So it really is the go to option for the PS4 Pro.

As for eARC, HDMI 2 port on the C9 allows for Audio to be sent back to a device on the other end. Whereby the rest of the HDMI ports only supports audio and video going in. And look at it this way, the only device that you want audio to be sent back from the TV to the device on the other end is a receiver. So only the receiver on HDMI port 2 needs eARC. The rest, like your PS4 Pro should be connected to HDMI port 1 or 3 or 4 and then the PS4 Pro will pass that audio to the TV, and the TV will send the audio down to the eARC port where your receiver will receive the audio. So you are perfectly fine to pick PCM 7.1 or something as your receiver will take that information and map it to your speaker setup without a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe you can help me. For me, LPCM is not working with my PS4 Pro.

PS4 --> LG C9 (FW 04.80.03) --ARC--> Denon X1000

When I set up the PS4 with PCM, the Denon only displays "Multi Channel Stereo" (the default mode). When I directly connect the PS4 to the Denon, MULTI IN is displayed (indicating PCM).

Setting up DTS or DOLBY on my PS4 results correctly in automatically switching to DTS or DOLBY D on the Denon.

On my C9 I set HDMI ARC to "Passthrough" and turned eARC off. Though it didn't make any difference in changing those settings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe you can help me. For me, LPCM is not working with my PS4 Pro.

PS4 --> LG C9 (FW 04.80.03) --ARC--> Denon X1000
Your Denon X1000 only supports ARC, for 5.1/7.1 Multichannel LPCM you'll need eARC on both, TV and AVR. You're limited to ARC which only supports PCM Stereo which is what your Denon displays.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Your Denon X1000 only supports ARC, for 5.1/7.1 Multichannel LPCM you'll need eARC on both, TV and AVR. You're limited to ARC which only supports PCM Stereo which is what your Denon displays.
There's no benefit to plugging the PS4 directly into the C9 since it doesn't support any HDMI 2.1 features. Once the PS5 comes out though, that will change.

I would recommend looking at the Sharc device from Thenaudio which will allow you to pass lossless audio via eARC to your Denon. I use it with my Denon 4400 and it works great with my gaming PC and the internal apps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Windows 10 PC is still seeing my LG B9 TV as max 2 channels. I'm on 4.80.02, is that the latest update? (Updated 2 days ago I think).

Sorry if I'm the billionth person coming in asking, kinda hard to catch up on everything in a big thread like this.

Would imagine how Windows is seeing the display with a direct connection has nothing to do with receiver support (though I have a Yamaha (TSR-5830) that hasn't been reported as specifically compatible in this thread- eARC confirmed working through built-in TV apps).

EDIT: I guess from what I'm reading the built-in apps don't actually have any eARC-specific formats being output. Without eARC enabled in the TV menu however, I don't get any audio to my receiver at all.
I have the exact same problem. Latest Firmware-Update on my C9 and Yamaha rx-v385 AVR are installed.
I'm only getting 2 channels, as your picture shows.

Jesus christ...

Edit: Okay, i got it. Installed latest NV driver, changed PCM to 5.1 via CRU.

1901 - 1920 of 2307 Posts