AVS Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
There's no benefit to plugging the PS4 directly into the C9 since it doesn't support any HDMI 2.1 features.
There is an advantage of connecting a PS4 directly to an HDMI input on the C9. That is, if you don't want to change the picture mode every time you switch to the PS4.
If you connect everything to the C9 via a single HDMI input, then all the devices connected to it will share the same picture modes (and their settings + selected picture mode) because picture modes are specific to the HDMI inputs.

Normally you want to use the game picture modes for both SDR and HDR on a PS4 but don't want to use these modes for your other devices like BD players or streaming boxes. Especially if you have a calibrated mode for movies.

Even if the PS4 supported HDMI 2.1 ALLM, you would still have to change the picture mode if you specifically changed some settings (gamma, colors, brightness, contrast etc.) for the game modes.

However, if you connect your PS4 to a dedicated HDMI input, you can set this HDMI port to game mode and the picture mode will automatically change when you switch between inputs.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Thanks for the reply, i am really happy that it supports eARC :D
i am going to get my C9 real soon, and eARC will be important to play on PC.

Issue is the lag. You can’t use eARC. Need to run 2 lines for video gsync and one for audio

·
Registered
143 Posts
What avr do you have? So you are running nvidia +atmos and getting no lag?
I have no Dolby-Atmos capable AVR (Yamaha rx-v385), neither does Paulo Pedullo. So with his Yamaha AVR he won't have any problems getting 5.1 via eARC i think.

Surprisingly, i just noticed that i no longer have audio lag when i set my PS4 Pro to Dolby (bitstream) and using eARC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Latest Firmware-Update on my C9 and Yamaha rx-v385 AVR are installed.
I'm only getting 2 channels, as your picture shows.

Jesus christ...

Edit: Okay, i got it. Installed latest NV driver, changed PCM to 5.1 via CRU.
CRU = Custom Resolution Utility? I'm not seeing a way to do anything with audio...

·
Registered
143 Posts
CRU = Custom Resolution Utility? I'm not seeing a way to do anything with audio...
There is a section for it. Click edit right below the extension blocks. Set it to 5.1, restart your PC, then activate eARC on the TV and set passthrough above it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is an advantage of connecting a PS4 directly to an HDMI input on the C9. That is, if you don't want to change the picture mode every time you switch to the PS4.
If you connect everything to the C9 via a single HDMI input, then all the devices connected to it will share the same picture modes (and their settings + selected picture mode) because picture modes are specific to the HDMI inputs.

Normally you want to use the game picture modes for both SDR and HDR on a PS4 but don't want to use these modes for your other devices like BD players or streaming boxes. Especially if you have a calibrated mode for movies.

Even if the PS4 supported HDMI 2.1 ALLM, you would still have to change the picture mode if you specifically changed some settings (gamma, colors, brightness, contrast etc.) for the game modes.

However, if you connect your PS4 to a dedicated HDMI input, you can set this HDMI port to game mode and the picture mode will automatically change when you switch between inputs.
This has not been my experience. Devices channeled through my Denon x4400h will pass through their ID and the LG stores which picture setting I had last used. My PS4, AppleTV, and LG 4K UHD Blu-Ray player have exhibited this behavior, which I am super thankful for. 'Cause, yeah, constantly switching picture modes, while minor, is just one more thing to have to deal with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This has not been my experience. Devices channeled through my Denon x4400h will pass through their ID and the LG stores which picture setting I had last used. My PS4, AppleTV, and LG 4K UHD Blu-Ray player have exhibited this behavior, which I am super thankful for. 'Cause, yeah, constantly switching picture modes, while minor, is just one more thing to have to deal with.
Interesting. That definitely does not work for me and never has. I have also double-checked it before, i.e. the picture modes on my TV seem to be bound to the HDMI inputs of the TV (and the special modes for the internal apps).
HDMI devices that are connected via my AVR can't be edited in my home dashboard either, although they are listed with a special icon. I have always (for many years) assumed that this is simply a given limitation.
Maybe I was wrong all the time ...

Perhaps someone else can share their experience in this regard?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The TV will remember the picture mode was used for SDR, HDR10 and DV for each input. It does not do it per device hooked up to the AVR. I just tried it and it stays on the last mode I selected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no Dolby-Atmos capable AVR (Yamaha rx-v385), neither does Paulo Pedullo. So with his Yamaha AVR he won't have any problems getting 5.1 via eARC i think.

Surprisingly, i just noticed that i no longer have audio lag when i set my PS4 Pro to Dolby (bitstream) and using eARC.
Hi Lors,

So, nvidia + PCM 5.1 via eARC from C9 only works using CRU?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Got it! Wonder what they expect from the average consumer though...
I guess the average consumer does not connect a PC to their TV. Unfortunately...

·
Registered
530 Posts
The TV will remember the picture mode was used for SDR, HDR10 and DV for each input. It does not do it per device hooked up to the AVR. I just tried it and it stays on the last mode I selected.
You're right, sorry for the error, everyone. That's what I've been experiencing, 1 device is SDR (4K UHD Blu-Ray player at device menu), 1 at HDR10 (PS4), and the other Dolby Vision (Apple TV). I mistakenly drew a conclusion that the TV remembering several devices coming on the same input was the explanation, not that each device was transmitting a different type of signal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello friends. I have the C9 and I will purchase a Denon 2600H. I will use a PC with an RTX 2070 Super. I would like to know if this configuration works perfectly with eArc and if there is a delay problem in Dolby / Atmos with this Denon. Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It should work without CRU with the latest firmware.
Thanks for the reply,

To use eARC, do i need HDMI 2.1 Cable? i have seeing in a lot of sites that it only works with HDMI 2.1, but it doenst make sence, since my yamaha rx v383 have eARC and is HDMI 2.0.
Sorry if this is a really stupid question :(

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

To use eARC, do i need HDMI 2.1 Cable? i have seeing in a lot of sites that it only works with HDMI 2.1, but it doenst make sence, since my yamaha rx v383 have eARC and is HDMI 2.0.

No such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable. A high speed hdmi cable with ethernet (preferably a Premium High Speed HDMI cable) should work fine. Some HDMI 2.0 chipsets are designed to take a firmware update to take advantage of eARC.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,939
There's no benefit to plugging the PS4 directly into the C9 since it doesn't support any HDMI 2.1 features. Once the PS5 comes out though, that will change.

I would recommend looking at the Sharc device from Thenaudio which will allow you to pass lossless audio via eARC to your Denon. I use it with my Denon 4400 and it works great with my gaming PC and the internal apps.
Not true, there are advantages to plugging in first to the display. Those advantages just might not matter to you.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
HDMI 2.1 is a collection of features and manufacturers can pick and choose what to implement. The Fixed Rate Link feature that allows greater than 18Gbps is independent of the other features. Those other features like eARC, VRR, ALLM, etc. can be implemented on older port hardware as long as the manufacturer designed it with some forethought.

There will never be a "HDMI 2.1 Cable" officially sold. If you actually do see one called that, avoid it. The new cable will be called an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable. These cables have mandatory support for eARC.

The good news is you don't need one of those. Any cable that's advertised "with Ethernet" will also work with eARC. You can see the "with Ethernet" printed on the cable itself. As suggested by Otty Pylot, a certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet is the preferred choice.

It's not a stupid question. There has been too much confusion with regards to HDMI 2.1 and it's good when people want a clarification.

1921 - 1940 of 2307 Posts