AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maybe it works without it for you. I don't know why my audio settings only showed PCM 2.0 support even after the update. But it's no big deal with cru, this is a one-time thing.
Since you have determined that your Nvidia driver does have HD Audio installed, then it is confirmed to be your cable.

Is your cable a HDMI Certified Premium cable (HDMI 2.0) that has the word, "with Ethernet"?

If it doesn't have the word, with Ethernet, that could be the reason why I see your Control Panel Sound Settings looking so barebones with no option for any sort of Audio Codecs that by right should be seen if you connect your PC to the TV directly. Because the TV can take in those audio codecs aside from PCM. So even if you do not use the eARC part, your Windows Sound Settings should still show the other codecs that the TV accepts. Which in this case, is completely absent from your Sound Settings.

So highly likely, your HDMI cable is not rated to run at 18Gbps w Ethernet.

It could either be the PC to TV or the TV to AVR HDMI cables or it could even be both. I don't know. Only you can rectify this issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since you have determined that your Nvidia driver does have HD Audio installed, then it is confirmed to be your cable.

Is your cable a HDMI Certified Premium cable (HDMI 2.0) that has the word, "with Ethernet"?

If it doesn't have the word, with Ethernet, that could be the reason why I see your Control Panel Sound Settings looking so barebones with no option for any sort of Audio Codecs that by right should be seen if you connect your PC to the TV directly. Because the TV can take in those audio codecs aside from PCM. So even if you do not use the eARC part, your Windows Sound Settings should still show the other codecs that the TV accepts. Which in this case, is completely absent from your Sound Settings.

It could either be the PC to TV or the TV to AVR HDMI cables or it could even be both. I don't know. Only you can rectify this issue.
I'm using this cable for both PC to TV and TV to AVR, it has ethernet:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B015WV119U

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Maybe it works without it for you. I don't know why my audio settings only showed PCM 2.0 support even after the update. But it's no big deal with cru, this is a one-time thing.

Yes with CRU it will survive driver updates as well as OS updates

·
Registered
29 Posts
HDMI 2.1 is a collection of features and manufacturers can pick and choose what to implement. The Fixed Rate Link feature that allows greater than 18Gbps is independent of the other features. Those other features like eARC, VRR, ALLM, etc. can be implemented on older port hardware as long as the manufacturer designed it with some forethought.

There will never be a "HDMI 2.1 Cable" officially sold. If you actually do see one called that, avoid it. The new cable will be called an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable. These cables have mandatory support for eARC.

The good news is you don't need one of those. Any cable that's advertised "with Ethernet" will also work with eARC. You can see the "with Ethernet" printed on the cable itself. As suggested by Otty Pylot, a certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet is the preferred choice.

It's not a stupid question. There has been too much confusion with regards to HDMI 2.1 and it's good when people want a clarification.
Thanks a lot for the explication, i was lost in this HDMI 2.1 thing

·
Registered
502 Posts
You're right, sorry for the error, everyone.
That's okay. The only reason I wasn't 100% sure is that there are all sorts of oddities with CEC.
In fact, it would theoretically be technically possible to save the picture settings per HDMI device instead of per input. But I don't think any TV does that.

Now that this is clear and to repeat it again: the advantage of using a dedicated HDMI port and eARC for a device is that you can use a set of customized picture settings for it and that you don't have to switch picture modes when changing input devices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,

This week (maybe today), i will buy my C9 and finally officially join this club, i just have one last question for the already happy owners of the C9 :D

Today i am using a samsung JU6500 to play my games and motion blur (mostly in PS4 games as it is 30fps) bother me a lot, i was reading that due to the nearlly instantaneous response time from the OLED, motion looks much more clear, can you guys verify this?

Also, HDR gaming really worth the hype? the image is so much better like some people say?

Sorry for having so many questions, i have never seen this TV with my on eyes, and i going to buy it from the internet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Today i am using a samsung JU6500 to play my games and motion blur (mostly in PS4 games as it is 30fps) bother me a lot, i was reading that due to the nearlly instantaneous response time from the OLED, motion looks much more clear, can you guys verify this?

Also, HDR gaming really worth the hype? the image is so much better like some people say?
All fine questions, but you better ask them in the Dedicated Gaming Thread or C9 Owner's Thread since they don't have anything to do with eARC.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,950
That's okay. The only reason I wasn't 100% sure is that there are all sorts of oddities with CEC.
In fact, it would theoretically be technically possible to save the picture settings per HDMI device instead of per input. But I don't think any TV does that.

Now that this is clear and to repeat it again: the advantage of using a dedicated HDMI port and eARC for a device is that you can use a set of customized picture settings for it and that you don't have to switch picture modes when changing input devices.
There are some other minor advantages. For example, many AVRs will suffer from black screens and loss of picture during change of resolution/color-space and these types of changes are very common with streaming devices like ATV, Roku, etc. Denon's new 2020 AVR models actually specifically implemented a feature to help with this.

In my experience the TV deals with these input resolution changes nearly instantly so you don't suffer a loss of picture for several seconds when starting playback. A minor thing but worth mentioning.

Also based on my experience there are some differences in audio input lag when eARC is being utilized from the TV to the AVR compared to audio sources that are connected directly to the AVR. I had to dial in 75ms of lag correction on my ATV when I moved it to my AVR where-as I've never had to adjust for any input lag with my devices that are hooked up directly to the C9, including the ATV when it was connected there.

I agree though that the most significant advantage is being able to have discrete picture mode settings for different devices and not having to keep switching them around every time another device that shares the AVR output to the TV is in use.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You're right, sorry for the error, everyone. That's what I've been experiencing, 1 device is SDR (4K UHD Blu-Ray player at device menu), 1 at HDR10 (PS4), and the other Dolby Vision (Apple TV). I mistakenly drew a conclusion that the TV remembering several devices coming on the same input was the explanation, not that each device was transmitting a different type of signal.
My C9 shows separate inputs for my ATV4K, blu-ray player and PS4 that are connected directly to my Denon 4400. Whenever I switch inputs on the C9, my AVR automatically switches to the corresponding device using HDMI-CEC. I'll have to check though if it remembers the settings independently though for each device though I believe it doesn't. I don't find it to be too onerous to switch the picture modes with the C9. The LG remote is miles better than my old Sony LCD remote and makes such setting changes fairly painless :)

Reactions: onesolo

·
Registered
48 Posts

Don't see how it could be the cables when using CRU and forcing 5.1 PCM works perfectly fine through them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Windows 10 PC is still seeing my LG B9 TV as max 2 channels. I'm on 4.80.02, is that the latest update? (Updated 2 days ago I think).

Sorry if I'm the billionth person coming in asking, kinda hard to catch up on everything in a big thread like this.

Would imagine how Windows is seeing the display with a direct connection has nothing to do with receiver support (though I have a Yamaha (TSR-5830) that hasn't been reported as specifically compatible in this thread- eARC confirmed working through built-in TV apps).

EDIT: I guess from what I'm reading the built-in apps don't actually have any eARC-specific formats being output. Without eARC enabled in the TV menu however, I don't get any audio to my receiver at all.
Irregardless of which AVR the TV is attached to, even with my Marantz, what you will see when choosing LG TV on Windows Sound Settings are the ability to pass through 8 channel PCM as well as send all those codec bitstreams. I made sure the TV was in Internal Sound before I showed this so the TV wasn't even going to use eARC but as mentioned, the C9 will be able to receive encoded bitstreams such as those along with 8 channel PCM. Even if you are using Internal Sound on the C9.

So if you firmly believe the cable is not the issue, then is it the TV? Is it the graphics card? Because as mentioned, if you are outputting from an RTX card, the picture below is supposed to be all the options the C9 supports and accepts. And yet, what you are showing is one that is missing all those Encoded formats as well as channels. Doesn't make sense.

It could even be the messing with EDID and all that is causing this issue when you upgraded the firmware.
Maybe it is best to do a DDU of your graphics drivers and reinstall the proper RTX drivers from scratch along with making sure you have Nvidia HD Audio installed. This as yet another option before you resort to seeking official help from LG and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Don't see how it could be the cables when using CRU and forcing 5.1 PCM works perfectly fine through them.
If you used CRU before to change something else it might have remembered the 2 channel version. Did you run reset-all.exe followed by restart64.exe after upgrading the C9's firmware?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Irregardless of which AVR the TV is attached to, even with my Marantz, what you will see when choosing LG TV on Windows Sound Settings are the ability to pass through 8 channel PCM as well as send all those codec bitstreams. I made sure the TV was in Internal Sound before I showed this so the TV wasn't even going to use eARC but as mentioned, the C9 will be able to receive encoded bitstreams such as those along with 8 channel PCM. Even if you are using Internal Sound on the C9.

So if you firmly believe the cable is not the issue, then is it the TV? Is it the graphics card? Because as mentioned, if you are outputting from an RTX card, the picture below is supposed to be all the options the C9 supports and accepts. And yet, what you are showing is one that is missing all those Encoded formats as well as channels. Doesn't make sense.

It could even be the messing with EDID and all that is causing this issue when you upgraded the firmware.
Maybe it is best to do a DDU of your graphics drivers and reinstall the proper RTX drivers from scratch along with making sure you have Nvidia HD Audio installed. This as yet another option before you resort to seeking official help from LG and whatnot.

Edit: My god, i'm so stupid, i forgot to change it to bitstream in the TV audio settings...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have updated to 04.80.03 and while 5.1 does now work on my Xbox and work laptop (nvidia graphics)...

It does not work on my NUC 10 or personal laptop which both have Intel UHD Graphics. Is this a known limitation? I'd find that odd. All drivers are up to date. I realize at this point the problem is likely not the TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have updated to 04.80.03 and while 5.1 does now work on my Xbox and work laptop (nvidia graphics)...

It does not work on my NUC 10 or personal laptop which both have Intel UHD Graphics. Is this a known limitation? I'd find that odd. All drivers are up to date. I realize at this point the problem is likely not the TV.
Sorry for double posting, but I don't have the privileges yet to post URLs and thought I would be able to edit my previous post:

i.imgur.com/fNB9rfh.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK guys, am looking for some help again. I know I`m dumb before anyone says :)

I got the SHARC delivered today.

Initially it seemed to work OK then realised it was USB power driven. Plugged it in and no sound. Manually switched the sound to internal then back to passthrough and eARC on. My TV doesn`t even pick up the picture from the AVR any more.

Powered everything off at the wall, started afresh but can`t get the Denon home page to show to restart my set-up of my peripherals.

What am I doing wrong and is the power to SHARC strictly necessary. I presume so or they wouldn`t have supplied the cable.

I can get sound but no picture with the peripherals.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Initially it seemed to work OK then realised it was USB power driven. Plugged it in and no sound. Manually switched the sound to internal then back to passthrough and eARC on. My TV doesn`t even pick up the picture from the AVR any more.
You need a separate HDMI cable going from the AVR's OUT to HDMI 1, 3 or 4 on the C9.

You want this:

AVR HDMI OUT --> C9 HDMI 1, 3 or 4.
AVR HDMI IN

1941 - 1960 of 2307 Posts