AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's hard to know if you're only seeing the pan stuttering or there is more going on there vuther.

The pan stuttering is very very obvious and just inherent to the newer TV's.

As to Mad VR repeating frames. It's doing that to keep the audio in sync. There are other solutions but you won't notice that frame.

Your description of motion tells my gut it's more than that but IDK, might just have better eyes than me tho...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@VBB - I just downloaded Plex app on my TV and played some things... it's much improved when I enable TruMotion, but it has the soap opera effect for sure. What should dejutter/deblur be set to for best balance?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Downside of using Plex is I don't have the 1080p upscaling from madVR for all the content I download that isn't available in 4K :'(

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Try my suggestion from yesterday: Set the TV to normal HDMI mode (Home Theater, or anything other than PC). Not sure which picture mode you use, but set de-judder to 2 and de-blur to 0 (doesn't matter for low frame rate content). Make sure that black level on the LG is set to high, since you use an RGB full chain.

This is for madVR use, but if you want to try Plex, I'd shoot for the same TruMotion settings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Try my suggestion from yesterday: Set the TV to normal HDMI mode (Home Theater, or anything other than PC). Not sure which picture mode you use, but set de-judder to 2 and de-blur to 0 (doesn't matter for low frame rate content). Make sure that black level on the LG is set to high, since you use an RGB full chain.
Since it's the Plex app on the TV, my PC is completely out of the picture now. I'll try de-judder at 2, and de-blur at 0.

·
Registered
335 Posts
THe LG's are very advanced from a gaming perspective. They might just be hopping into some weird low latency mode with less processing because it senses the connection is a PC

Try renaming the input if you're willing to try PC again.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Renaming doesn't actually do anything. You'll have to change the icon to "PC". Sounds like Plex might just be the better solution for him, but he'll likely run into issues with high bit-rate 4K files due to the 10/100 port. A solid wireless connection could potentially be better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
THe LG's are very advanced from a gaming perspective. They might just be hopping into some weird low latency mode with less processing because it senses the connection is a PC

Try renaming the input if you're willing to try PC again.
Using the TV in non-PC mode is really bad in terms of text/color, so I don't want to go that route. Plus, the latency is reallyy bad when not in PC mode unless you're using game picture mode. I'm more curious what magic AMD is doing on their graphics card to reduce the blurriness lol.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Have you tried non-PC mode with RGB full? It switches into a sort of 4:4:4/4:2:2 hybrid. Not bad at all, really, unless all you do on the PC is look at text.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have you tried non-PC mode with RGB full? It switches into a sort of 4:4:4/4:2:2 hybrid. Not bad at all, really, unless all you do on the PC is look at text.
I have, yeah, but to not have terrible latency, you have to always use game picture mode. In PC mode, ultra low latency is always on regardless of the picture mode.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Didn't know you were a gamer. Makes sense then. You could switch picture modes for watching stuff. There are always trade-offs. You just have to find a middle ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Didn't know you were a gamer. Makes sense then. You could switch picture modes for watching stuff. There are always trade-offs. You just have to find a middle ground.
Yeah, seems so for this situation. I wish I didn't sell my AMD GPU yet... would have been nice to put it back in and see if I notice the same issue. I thought a 3080 RTX would be a hint I'm a gamer haha

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have, yeah, but to not have terrible latency, you have to always use game picture mode. In PC mode, ultra low latency is always on regardless of the picture mode.
Input lag is much less relevant to gaming than review sites and tech manufacturers make it seem.

If it really mattered to you wouldn't be playing on such a large panel anyway. You'd have some washed out low res monitor.

Text clarity yea makes sense to be annoyed by. Input lag is not a reason to give up PQ as gamer 99.999999% of the time

The experience should be vastly better outside low latency mode.

Your choices are....odd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Input lag is much less relevant to gaming than review sites and tech manufacturers make it seem.

If it really mattered to you wouldn't be playing on such a large panel anyway. You'd have some washed out low res monitor.

Text clarity yea makes sense to be annoyed by. Input lag is not a reason to give up PQ as gamer 99.999999% of the time

The experience shoudl be vastly better outside low latency mode.
I disagree. When I switch off from low latency mode, my mouse pointer becomes very stuttery and is not near as smooth when low latency mode is enabled. You have to have the TV and experience it to understand what I'm talking about I think.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I disagree. When I switch off from low latency mode, my mouse pointer becomes very stuttery and is not near as smooth when low latency mode is enabled. You have to have the TV and experience it to understand what I'm talking about I think.
Yea that's because you're using a massive screen with massive resolution.

A real gamer who wants to play a shooter well gets a high refresh low input panel. Generally with **** color and no 4k. And certainly much smaller so it's more manageable.....

You're trying to play like a pro on something a pro would never use, and making your very nice panel look like my TCL. lol

Just buy a different panel clearly you can afford it.

Use your LG for casual gaming with high PQ, for a real shooter use a proper panel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yea that's because you're using a massive screen with massive resolution.

A real gamer who wants to play a shooter well gets a high refresh low input panel. Generally with **** color and no 4k. And certainly much smaller so it's more manageable.....

You're trying to play like a pro on something a pro would never use, and making your very nice panel look like my TCL. lol

Just buy a different panel clearly you can afford it.

Use your LG for casual gaming with high PQ, for a real shooter use a proper panel
I'm not exactly sure why you're saying this TV isn't a proper shooter. It's very low latency due to OLED, has VRR, and is 120hz. I've played many shooters on this TV so far, and it's majestic. The picture quality is one of the best out there with the performance that this gen of GPUs can handle @ 4K.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
No doubt the CX is a fantastic display for any gamer. I would never dispute that, but what you just said about the mouse pointer being stuttery, I don't experience that at all, and I have never used Game picture mode. In fact, on my C7 there is no noticeable difference in cursor movement between PC mode and normal mode. It only turns "laggy" at much lower frame rates. Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with your CX after all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No doubt the CX is a fantastic display for any gamer. I would never dispute that, but what you just said about the mouse pointer being stuttery, I don't experience that at all, and I have never used Game picture mode. In fact, on my C7 there is no noticeable difference in cursor movement between PC mode and normal mode. It only turns "laggy" at much lower frame rates. Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with your CX after all.
You can't tell the difference w/ desktop use switching between game picture mode and another one in Non-PC mode? I just tried it and it's night & day difference. Also, my colors are very washed out when not in PC mode.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why you're saying this TV isn't a proper shooter. It's very low latency due to OLED, has VRR, and is 120hz. I've played many shooters on this TV so far, and it's majestic. The picture quality is one of the best out there with the performance that this gen of GPUs can handle @ 4K.
4k is inherently stupid for video games

Sit closer get more frames

You're the only one playing. When you're 2 foot away from the panel 4k is pointless

You seem like a pretty clever guy....

Now u want to drop it below native resolution it will work fine yea. If you back up

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Goyle, I don't know what prompted your rather harsh reaction. The guy has a 48" gaming monitor, if you will, and a 3080 to go with it. I can't think of a better, yet still reasonable, setup.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts