AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Goyle, I don't know what prompted your rather harsh reaction. The guy has a 48" gaming monitor, if you will, and a 3080 to go with it. I can't think of a better, yet still reasonable, setup.
The basics of video games my dude

He will understand what i mean

We jsut wasted a lot of time to hear him say he wants a messed up picture so his mouse tracks better....on tv

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You can't tell the difference w/ desktop use switching between game picture mode and another one in Non-PC mode? I just tried it and it's night & day difference. Also, my colors are very washed out when not in PC mode.
I'm saying I don't notice a difference in mouse cursor movement at 60Hz between PC mode and normal mode on my C7. And color-wise, if all settings are the same, there is also zero difference for me between the two.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm saying I don't notice a difference in mouse cursor movement at 60Hz between PC mode and normal mode on my C7. And color-wise, if all settings are the same, there is also zero difference for me between the two.
There could very well be differences between C7/CX. I'm also running @ 120hz so the input latency could possibly play a factor there.

We jsut wasted a lot of time to hear him say he wants a messed up picture so his mouse tracks better....on tv
My LG CX isn't used primarily as a TV, it's used as a productivity/gaming monitor which performs the best I've ever had. It's only until I switched to nVIDIA that I started have the issue we've been discussing. It's fine though, I won't waste your time anymore :) Thanks for your assistance anyway!

·
Registered
402 Posts
There could very well be differences between C7/CX. I'm also running @ 120hz so the input latency could possibly play a factor there.

My LG CX isn't used primarily as a TV, it's used as a productivity/gaming monitor which performs the best I've ever had. It's only until I switched to nVIDIA that I started have the issue we've been discussing. It's fine though, I won't waste your time anymore :) Thanks for your assistance anyway!
It's a very good panel....But for a controller where you can take advantage of the PQ while not caring that much about the input. Or some mouse and keyboard inputs that require a lot less precision than a shooter. And sit very far back from teh screen.

The precision it sounds like you want is not found in televisions. Thing doesn't even have g sync does it?

Not that IGN is a great source. But from a pure gaming performance perspective all of these should be better than that TV. The frame by frame PQ will not look as good, but you can be smooth as silk. And not waste resources* pumping to a 4k display you don't need because you can just sit closer on a smaller screen.

What you're doing doesn't make any sense unless you're going to swap modes back and forth. Then it might make sense, but it doesn't seem like you're doing this because you're worried about the costs of more crap or space.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's G Sync compatible, yea. VRR works great on it.
Ok then dump it down to 1440p and you've just got a massive version of those monitors. With probably slightly better color but who knows with all the settings. The thing you lose is 121+ FPS

but there are inherent trade offs there. to use that gaming stuff you sacrifice PQ

So don't expect any media player to make it look good relative to what it could be if you refuse to switch modes. The TV you replaced would probably look better if it doesn't have a similar gaming mode. Gaming mode expect you to pump frames into it not run at 24 fps

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
One last thing for OP, if you haven't already tried and are willing to give the whole PC thing another chance:

in Full Screen, it's showing "D3D11 exclusive 10-bit"
I was helping someone over at doom9 with the micro-stutter issue that the newer Nvidia cards all seem to suffer from, and he told me that it only happens in full screen exclusive mode. Switching to windowed full screen fixes the stutter.

Not knowing exactly what your issue is to begin with, I'm curious if that would work for you :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
@VBB I just played a 1080p video instead of 2160p, and am not noticing the bad motion blur! I didn't really play a lot of 2160p content on my AMD card, so that could explain it. I know madVR is upscaling it to 2160p, so maybe it's fixing it for me? If so, what does that tell us?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
And this was in PC mode again? Motion-wise, there shouldn't be any difference between 1080p and 2160p, if the same refresh rates are being used. Did you also try a 2160p file again to see what that looks like now? Did you try switching from FSE to WFS?

BTW, what does your refresh rate switching line in madVR look like?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@VBB - Yeah, this is PC mode. Just tried a 2160p and the motion blur is still there, even in Windowed mode. As for the refresh date, last night when I was watching a 1080p video, the refresh rate was @ 120hz.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
What does your refresh rate switching line in madVR look like?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant. If you go into the madVR settings -> devices -> display modes -> list all display modes madVR may switch to. Can you take a screenshot of that whole tab?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant. If you go into the madVR settings -> devices -> display modes -> list all display modes madVR may switch to. Can you take a screenshot of that whole tab?
Yep! Capture

I also switched to DXVA2 (copy-back) in LAV Decoder from native. I heard that was better.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hmm, the line looks good for your config, but you could try adding all the other combos to see if that makes a difference:

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60, 2160p100, 2160p119, 2160p120

For the decoder in LAV, it depends on what you want it to do. In your case, with a powerful video card and no need for black bar detection (and most likely no real need for de-interlacing either), I would definitely use D3D11 native for everything.

Could you also take a screenshot of the Rendering -> General Settings tab in madVR?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
For the decoder in LAV, it depends on what you want it to do. In your case, with a powerful video card and no need for black bar detection (and most likely no real need for de-interlacing either), I would definitely use D3D11 native for everything.

Could you also take a screenshot of the Rendering -> General Settings tab in madVR?
Oh, OK. I'll use D3D11 then. Here's my general settings tab: Capture

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Also, using your line for display modes, it now switches to 23hz instead of 119 for videos.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Yeah, but does that make any difference for you as far as motion? (It shouldn't)

And for the rendering -> general tab, I would uncheck "enable windowed overlay", because that doesn't do anything when "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" is checked (which it should be). I would also lower the queues considerably. Defaults are fine, but you can go lower without breaking anything. I have mine at 8/8 right now.

These are just minor tweaks, though, and will not make any difference when it comes to your problem.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Ordered. Anything else is overkill on a "small" screen ;)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts