AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum is heavily weighted towards Samsung DLP's and Sony LCD's (or rather, I should say they are the most discussed).

I know LG is switching from LCD to DLP and from the specs shown at CES, looks pretty intriguing.

The RCA ones intrique me too, but not quite as much given their history.

With that said, does anyone have any experience with the LG LCD's or seen the DLP's? How do they stack up against the favored Sammy's?

In my opinion, worst case scenario, if these sets arent up to par, hopefully they begin to bring the prices down due to the competition.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't see much price movement, although RCA is cheaper than Samsung now and will likely remain there.

It's impossible to rate the LG products, even if you saw them at a tradeshow.

The proof is going to be in real-world picture quality, features, ease of use, quirks/issues. None of that can be known pre-availability.

Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I saw the LG sets in Las Vegas. They looked good to me. Of course, as Mark said, we have to wait till they are released to find out exactly how good they are.

The price pressure is not likely to come from LG or any Korean or Japanese manufacturer. But the Chinese ones will being the price point down, so watch for Gateway, Akai and the likes.

You can find the announced 2004 DLP sets here: http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It sure is likely that some Chinese-made sets will be offered for less.

So far, my sense of all these off-brand displays is that they just ain't as good. There are a mess of brandless plasmas, and stuff from Gateway and such...

I think you are getting what you pay for. I hope this changes, but right now, the DLP I'd buy is the Samsung. Look at the corners cut on the RCA -- from a CE giant.

I'm sure you'll find people to look at anything new that comes out, from Apex to Zenith, and try to figure out if the "deal" is really a deal.

My take is that if you want that $3000 TV and can only afford the $2500 one... but that one appears substantially inferior... then maybe you should save up the next $500 or buy something else.

If you wouldn't buy the Kia because you know it's not a Toyota, don't buy the Whatchamacallit when you know that it's a Samsung or Sony you're after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.