AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for starting a new thread but I could not find a thread specific to these issues for the EG9100. So I got this TV from the ebay BuyDig deal a couple of days ago and saw this issue yesterday. My only input at the moment is my PC connected to it via HDMI. The input is detected as PC by the TV and so I assume its displaying at 4:4:4 chroma at 1080p. Below are the few issues that I notice with this:

1. On a white background such as folder view, I see distinct pinkish bands on the sides with a dull white band in the middle.
2. On gray/dull backgrounds, I see bands across the TV.

Funny thing is that I have noticed this only with the PC input. Netflix, amazon etc. apps either do not display this behavior or are not apparent outright. I am in a dilemma about returning/exchanging the TV since it is an online seller and I do not want to deal with the shipping expense and risks. Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry for starting a new thread but I could not find a thread specific to these issues for the EG9100. So I got this TV from the ebay BuyDig deal a couple of days ago and saw this issue yesterday. My only input at the moment is my PC connected to it via HDMI. The input is detected as PC by the TV and so I assume its displaying at 4:4:4 chroma at 1080p. Below are the few issues that I notice with this:

1. On a white background such as folder view, I see distinct pinkish bands on the sides with a dull white band in the middle.
2. On gray/dull backgrounds, I see bands across the TV.

Funny thing is that I have noticed this only with the PC input. Netflix, amazon etc. apps either do not display this behavior or are not apparent outright. I am in a dilemma about returning/exchanging the TV since it is an online seller and I do not want to deal with the shipping expense and risks. Please advise.
How many hours?
Call LG and set up a panel replacement. Otherwise, request a refund from them if they cannot fix it.
Also you can call robert macintyre 855-400-4640 at LG VIP...he's a pleasant fella to discuss this, if customer service gives you a hard time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How many hours?
Call LG and set up a panel replacement. Otherwise, request a refund from them if they cannot fix it.
I think around 20 hours. Does it get any better with time? Its a 509 (September) build which is why it is having these issues I think. I cannot return it to BuyDig as I have discarded the box. Have called up LG service center and hopefully they can replace the panel.

EDIT: Thanks for Robert's number. I'll give him a call if the service center does not acknowledge the issue.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think around 20 hours. Does it get any better with time? Its a 509 (September) build which is why it is having these issues I think. I cannot return it to BuyDig as I have discarded the box. Have called up LG service center and hopefully they can replace the panel.
Never ever discard the box! And YES the banding issues can diminish over time. But 100 hrs should tell you the story. Make sure you turn the power off via remote(never the power cord) every 6-8 hrs of use for the compensation cycle feature to help diminish the banding issues. It is a process the tv does when powered off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never ever discard the box! And YES the banding issues can diminish over time. But 100 hrs should tell you the story. Make sure you turn the power off via remote every 6-8 hrs of use for the compensation cycle feature to help diminish the banding issues. It process the tv does when powered off.
Yeah I know I should have kept the box. But I think BuyDig only does returns and not replacements so I'd have not been able to get another TV at the same price as the Black Friday sale.

Does compensation cycle help with vignetting as well as image retention too? I did put the TV on standby overnight but it doesn't seem like it fixed any of the issues. Is there anything else I can do to correct all this?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah I know I should have kept the box. But I think BuyDig only does returns and not replacements so I'd have not been able to get another TV at the same price as the Black Friday sale.

Does compensation cycle help with vignetting as well as image retention too? I did put the TV on standby overnight but it doesn't seem like it fixed any of the issues. Is there anything else I can do to correct all this?
Yes and yes. Its not goin to fix the issues or reduce them in one swipe. Most likely you will have some banding and some vignetting that won't completely go away. So, that will have to be your decision on whether or not you can live with the flaws. But you will have to give it at least 100 hrs to see what you can live with.

What settings are you using?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and yes. Its not goin to fix the issues or reduce them in one swipe. Most likely you will have some banding that won't completely go away. So, that will have to be your decision on whether or not you can live with the flaws. But you will have to give it at least 100 hrs to see what you can live with.

What settings are you using?
I read on the forums that contrast should be low as to avoid these issues. I have picture mode as ISF expert 1. Brightness around 55. Contrast around 70. I used the AVS HD slides for these basic calibrations and I am waiting for my i1 Display pro for white balance calibration. But since these are inherent flaws with the panel, would calibration help in any way? I have read the the 510 (October) builds are much better in this respect. I only hope that the service center people acknowledge this issue as they seem to be in the habit of making all excuses under the sun.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I read on the forums that contrast should be low as to avoid these issues. I have picture mode as ISF expert 1. Brightness around 55. Contrast around 70. I used the AVS HD slides for these basic calibrations and I am waiting for my i1 Display pro for white balance calibration. But since these are inherent flaws with the panel, would calibration help in any way? I have read the the 510 (October) builds are much better in this respect. I only hope that the service center people acknowledge this issue as they seem to be in the habit of making all excuses under the sun.
Make sure your gamma is on 2.2. I find that to be the best compromise. Right now I am using for Day OLED 80 (50 or 60 Night) Contrast 64 and Brightness 54 and Temp Warm1. I can tell you robert from LG doesn't find your issues acceptable. Based on the conversation I had with him over a week ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure your gamma is on 2.2. I find that to be the best compromise. Right now I am using for Day OLED 80 (50 or 60 Night) Contrast 64 and Brightness 54 and Temp Warm1. I can tell you robert from LG doesn't find your issues acceptable. Based on the conversation I had with him over a week ago.
OK that sounds good. My gamma is 2.2 and the rest of the settings are similar to what you have. If service center guys aren't helpful, I will give Robert a call. Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys. Glad I found this thread as it is exactly the "issue" I'm having with my EG9100.

Little background, as a creature of habit I grew accustomed to my 37" 2006 Samsung 720p IPS full array. Three years ago I got the itch and pulled the trigger on a middle of the road edge lit LG 55 set. The clouding and letterbox issues were horrible so I returned and swapped out for a Sony (I forget which one but it was the monolithic gorilla glass model). I guess I got caught up in having "the perfect" set devoid of flaws and ended up returning that one as well.

Lived with the old Samsung set but just the other day jumped on a deal that has me owning a LG EG9100 55 for $1,100. :D I went to the store recently and looked at 4K sets but saw the same clouding and flash-lighting as my LG of three years ago on even top end Samsung models and thought to myself no way am I paying that much money to see that, again.

The LG is without a doubt a fantastic TV. It's saturated, its black levels are great, it's a great size for my space and I enjoy its aesthetics. Then last night I started to look for flaws, and guess what, I found them. I have bands of almost the same exact width and intensity as OP, and also slight pink hued vignetting that appears wherever your eye isn't focusing on (if that makes any sense).

I don't want to go down the road of finding flaws in TV's and returning something because it looks bad on 10IRE or something like that. I feel like returning a $1.1K OLED because of banding is like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

My question to the OP and Wolf is...is this something inherent to the production of OLED TV's? If so, I really don't mind it at all. In fact, the only place it's visible - but boy is it visible! - is on "splash screens" like the Netflix title screen (where the middle portion is significantly lighter and a different hue of grey than sides) and Amazon prime smart app backgrounds where grey is used. What doesn't sit well with me is if someone else is watching a perfectly uniform EG9100 and by not speaking up I'll have this set as is...for probably the next 5+ years.

Also, I think the banding is a far smaller problem than the ugly yellow tint of the 9300.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Hey guys. Glad I found this thread as it is exactly the "issue" I'm having with my EG9100.

Little background, as a creature of habit I grew accustomed to my 37" 2006 Samsung 720p IPS full array. Three years ago I got the itch and pulled the trigger on a middle of the road edge lit LG 55 set. The clouding and letterbox issues were horrible so I returned and swapped out for a Sony (I forget which one but it was the monolithic gorilla glass model). I guess I got caught up in having "the perfect" set devoid of flaws and ended up returning that one as well.

Lived with the old Samsung set but just the other day jumped on a deal that has me owning a LG EG9100 55 for $1,100. :D I went to the store recently and looked at 4K sets but saw the same clouding and flash-lighting as my LG of three years ago on even top end Samsung models and thought to myself no way am I paying that much money to see that, again.

The LG is without a doubt a fantastic TV. It's saturated, its black levels are great, it's a great size for my space and I enjoy its aesthetics. Then last night I started to look for flaws, and guess what, I found them. I have bands of almost the same exact width and intensity as OP, and also slight pink hued vignetting that appears wherever your eye isn't focusing on (if that makes any sense).

I don't want to go down the road of finding flaws in TV's and returning something because it looks bad on 10IRE or something like that. I feel like returning a $1.1K OLED because of banding is like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

My question to the OP and Wolf is...is this something inherent to the production of OLED TV's? If so, I really don't mind it at all. In fact, the only place it's visible - but boy is it visible! - is on "splash screens" like the Netflix title screen (where the middle portion is significantly lighter and a different hue of grey than sides) and Amazon prime smart app backgrounds where grey is used. What doesn't sit well with me is if someone else is watching a perfectly uniform EG9100 and by not speaking up I'll have this set as is...for probably the next 5+ years.

Also, I think the banding is a far smaller problem than the ugly yellow tint of the 9300.

Thoughts?
An update: I have been working with an LG service center near me and they told me that they will replace the panel on the TV. I wanted to know if that is something that would resolve all the issues or is it inherent flaw with this set? I am running out of ideas how to best deal with this.

·
Registered
378 Posts
An update: I have been working with an LG service center near me and they told me that they will replace the panel on the TV. I wanted to know if that is something that would resolve all the issues or is it inherent flaw with this set? I am running out of ideas how to best deal with this.
65EG9600 Repair Followup Post #3517
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1929089-official-owners-thread-2015-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-118.html#post39745978

Is the Dec manufactured panel the golden ticket???? Show the tech those photos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
44 Posts
Problophiles

Rant on;

With my new 4K OLED purchase I decided it was time I switch over to the EG9600 thread, oh my, 118 pages dominated by the Problophiles.
http://http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1929089-official-owners-thread-2015-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-118.html

Must all the threads on the AVS forums eventually get taken over and saturated my players discussing technical problems ad nauseam.

While I understand the need for an outlet of such pointed matter, I just wish the moderators of technical forums could create parallel threads to channel this energy.

Those with technical problems please post here on the ... Parallel Problems Thread ...the PPT.

Rant off:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was surprised nobody flamed my rant.

With further thought on this subject it would be beneficial to everyone concerned if popular device threads could be further categorized. One main thread with separate sub-posting sites.

1. General Discussion

1a. Technical Solutions (Calibration Tips, Setup, Updates, Apps, Sound, Network .. ect)

1b. Technical Problems (Ask specific technical questions here, solutions post above)

While this LG EG9100 thread is still young, it will no doubt no turn into an unruly mess like the EG9600 thread given time.

Anyway ... Game On!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Repair update

So just wanted to provide an update on my repair. The new panel that the service guy brought had the date of 12/15 on the box. Curiously, the panel had "EG9200" embossed inside it instead of the "EG9100" that the old one did.

After replacement, I noticed that the pink hues from the sides did vanish so thats good. Although the banding is still still present but its much better than what i noticed before. I am attaching few screenshots of 3% and 4% near black samples where you can see the banding on the left side of the image. It is even visible on content with gray background. Not sure if I should ask for another repair but I do feel disappointed that I cannot enjoy every type of content equally on this set.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
So just wanted to provide an update on my repair. The new panel that the service guy brought had the date of 12/15 on the box. Curiously, the panel had "EG9200" embossed inside it instead of the "EG9100" that the old one did.

After replacement, I noticed that the pink hues from the sides did vanish so thats good. Although the banding is still still present but its much better than what i noticed before. I am attaching few screenshots of 3% and 4% near black samples where you can see the banding on the left side of the image. It is even visible on content with gray background. Not sure if I should ask for another repair but I do feel disappointed that I cannot enjoy every type of content equally on this set.

The near black banding is on all sets.You cant get one without it. Even Panasonics super expensive oled have them. So you can exchange 1000sets and you will still have them. Vignetting seems much better on the new set, be happy.

What settings have you used to take your pictures? Because 3% and 4% should not look light gray

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The near black banding is on all sets.You cant get one without it. Even Panasonics super expensive oled have them. So you can exchange 1000sets and you will still have them. Vignetting seems much better on the new set, be happy.

What settings have you used to take your pictures? Because 3% and 4% should not look light gray
They don't appear light grey in person. Think its the camera as I clicked this picture in the dark after calibrating the TV.

·
Registered
385 Posts
how about trumotion or any other setting more?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts