AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this is a 'misreporting' or merely erronous use of terms, but apparently LG Electronics told the Korean Herald that the just announced LG Combo Blu-ray BD-HD DVD combo player will only bear the Blu-ray logo. How they were allowed to display the logo during the CES to create mass confusion so that the CE would attract potential buyers who favour the HD DVD format yet the Korean CE would not and have NO PLANS WHATSOEVER to include the mandatory HDi feature in HD DVD therefor deprieving HD DVD movie consumers that will misleaded to purchase the product? Ask the DVD forum. Basically the whole world know that the player is a combo player that would be capable of playing HD DVD titles but not bearing the HD DVD logo.

If a "reputable" "Korean" CE can do this, why cant Chinese CEs come out with players that can play both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles but not bearing both logos? They only thing they need is for the sales persons to tell consumers that the players will play both format!

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/da...0701180014.asp

Quote:
"The use of the HD DVD logo at the show was not forbidden and we made it clear that the player does not have HDi function at the show. Upcoming products will not have the HD DVD logo either," said Judy Pae at the corporate communications office of LG Electronics.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi /forum/post/0

I dont know if this is a 'misreporting' or merely erronous use of terms, but apparently LG Electronics told the Korean Herald that the just announced LG Combo Blu-ray BD-HD DVD combo player will only bear the Blu-ray logo.

IMHO, the LG combo player will be a very expensive oddity that ends up not selling very well, a little like combo VHS DVD machines. It will seem to be able to do twice as much, but it may end up doing each thing half as well. Some people are so excited about the idea of a combo player that they would buy the LG before even one review is written. Blu-ray drive technology is very complicated by itself. Add HD DVD pickup, and the potential failure rate will be likely. This is not like DVD-R and DVD+R, where the physical pickups are not all that different, although the writing format is. Why do you suppose that some blu-ray machines won't even play CDs, if it is so easy to get different laser pickups working together? Furthermore, getting firmware to support two formats without glitches could also be interesting. To return to the combo VHS/DVD example, it might be better to have a unit with two separate drives, one for blu-ray and one for HD DVD. I defer to those who know better, but complicated technology almost always leads to higher failure rates.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton /forum/post/0

It's really a Blu Ray player but it will just happen to support that other format in case you still have some of those.

I think you're right. HD DVD playback won't be its strong suit. Expect passable performance, without the mandatory HD DVD bells and whistles, for that format. In any case, an LG anything for $1199 could be a hard sell. I suppose lots of people will use the thirty-day Best Buy free trial plan.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webphilosopher /forum/post/0

Any idea as to why they didn't do the intelligent thing? Pressure from other CE manufacturers in the blu-ray group? Speculations?

My guess would be to keep the prices higher and milk the consumer for as long as they can, since most feel that BD doesn't require cheaper hardware and can stand alone on content.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronken /forum/post/0

My guess would be to keep the prices higher and milk the consumer for as long as they can, since most feel that BD doesn't require cheaper hardware and can stand alone on content.

You may be right. I keep hearing that blu-ray prices will come down, but there seems to be no evidence of it. Sometimes it almost looks like price fixing to keep everyone but Sony and its PS3 above the magic $1000 mark. Weird -- from the standpoint of competing on the basis of price, which was the classic way of doing things. I'm not sure what the $1000+ units are competing with. They don't seem to be competing with each other, and they can hardly be competing against $500 players. In any case, we keep waiting for an announcement of a cheap blu-ray player; and it never comes. The PS3 is the odd exception that proves the rule.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton /forum/post/0

The higher price is there to remind people which format is "better."

You're right. You get what you pay for, and the higher the cost the better the product. Maybe Toshiba needs to triple their prices and sell their products for more than the market will bear in order to appeal to that crowd.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi /forum/post/0

If a "reputable" "Korean" CE can do this, why cant Chinese CEs come out with players that can play both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles but not bearing both logos? They only thing they need is for the sales persons to tell consumers that the players will play both format!

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/da...0701180014.asp

Reputable? This is Goldstar we are talking about! Have you ever bought one of the goldstar VCP decks? They don't fry your TV or AVR, but other than that, I wouldn't say reputation is one of their selling points.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

Reputable? This is Goldstar we are talking about! Have you ever bought one of the goldstar VCP decks? They don't fry your TV or AVR, but other than that, I wouldn't say reputation is one of their selling points.

Hopefully, LG has improved since Goldstar. Their vcrs did not hold up very well.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I hope the cheep china players have everything. As that would piss off most. Any confuse the avg person they might not be able to watch the extras and such.

But it look like LG is more BLU then HD_DVD. Take away introactive. Then claime only sony does this and they were first...

·
Banned
3,752 Posts

Quote:
In any case, an LG anything for $1199 could be a hard sell.

Not necessarily. LG doesn't have the "cheap Korean" stigma that Goldstar did with most consumers. Most consumers don't even know that "LG" used to be "Lucky Goldstar". LG, for most people, means high-end appliances and cell phones, as well as electronics.

When put in the context of Blu-ray players, most consumers will likely consider $1199 a pretty good deal. Current Blu-ray standalones range from $999 to $1499, and none of them play HD DVD. Some of them don't even play CD. Compared to the other Blu-ray players out there, the LG will likely be more popular. of course, considering how poorly Blu-ray standalones are selling, that may not be saying much.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.