AVS Forum banner

Is Burn-In Inevitable with my Use Case?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have always been afraid of OLED because of burn-in. I know vast improvements have been made recently with the OLED tech to virtually eliminate burn-in; even more so with the efficient evo panels. That being said I acknowledge that my use case is abnormal.

I would be using the G1 as a dedicated PC monitor and play several hours every day of games with many static elements. I have attached an example image of one game I typically play 2-3 hours daily called Hearthstone where much of the screen would be static. My content would not vary much as I have played the same two or three games for the past 5 years.

Searching online revealed Hearthstone being problematic with past generations of OLEDs resulting in burn-in (reference attached image). Has the evo panel technology advanced OLED to a state where I wouldn't have to worry about burn in for my use case described?

For what its worth I emailed LG, described my use case just as in this post and asked them if I needed to worry about burn-in/if my use is considered 'normal' under their 5 year warranty. Their response was pretty vanilla: "burn-in and image retention are a thing of the past" yada yada. They did reassure me that "5-year warranty should cover the repair in case burn-in does occur on the display."

What do you guys think? Would my usage be too extreme or is the evo tech robust enough to prevail?

Thanks,

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
What is the level of brightness you require when gaming and how many cumulative hours do you hope to play of any individual game?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the level of brightness you require when gaming and how many cumulative hours do you hope to play of any individual game?
I would have brightness set at half of the max value. In the Hearthstone example I play 2-3hrs a day and on weekends maybe 4-5hrs. I would assume 1000hrs per year on that game alone. I don't watch many videos from my PC so the content would not vary much aside from web browsing and the other games I play but with much less yearly screen time than Hearthstone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FWIW I think the G1 is complete overkill based on how you described your planned usage. Spend much less and rest easy regarding the burn-in. I think an OLED can make a fine PC monitor (I love by 55" B9 for PC gaming) but only if the content is varied and takes advantage of what the monitor has to offer (g-sync, VRR, high quality HDR, and also works for watching movies). Based on what you're looking for I don't think you'd get the full value out of the G1 if you're mostly playing Hearthstone.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
I would have brightness set at half of the max value. In the Hearthstone example I play 2-3hrs a day and on weekends maybe 4-5hrs. I would assume 1000hrs per year on that game alone. I don't watch many videos from my PC so the content would not vary much aside from web browsing and the other games I play but with much less yearly screen time than Hearthstone.
Well first off, you’ll have less of an issue with OLED Light at 50 than you would with OLED light cranked up to 100.

Lower translates to longer, so the more you can lower OLED Light, the longer you’ll before you need to worry about burn-in.

1000 hours per year then translates to how many years of play on the same game before you need to worry about burn-in.

The only proxy we have for that use case is Rtings test with FIFA 18 @ 200 Nits (OLED Light ~60): Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs

They ran for 102 weeks or 14,280 hours and you can see clear signs of burn-in on Magenta after that cumulstiveamount of play:

Purple Violet Rectangle Pink Magenta

First signs of burn in on the lower right corner appear by week 66 (9240 hours) but not by week 60 (8400 hours).

That was on a 2017 WOLED and LG has made significant improvements since then (probably totaling to a least .+50%).

And that was at OLED Light = 60 which means you should get better results at OLED Light = 50.

Rtings considers FIFA 18 to be a ‘High Risk’ video game, so hopefully Hearthstone is not much worse. But assuming that to be the case, it seems as though you can safely play hearthstone for at least 8 years if not 10 or even 15 before you be likely to cause any noticeable levels of burn-in…

Bottom line, you’re likely to upgrade your WOLED TV well before you develop burn-in from playing Hearthstone @ OLED Light = 50 for ~1000 hours per year…

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
FWIW I think the G1 is complete overkill based on how you described your planned usage. Spend much less and rest easy regarding the burn-in. I think an OLED can make a fine PC monitor (I love by 55" B9 for PC gaming) but only if the content is varied and takes advantage of what the monitor has to offer (g-sync, VRR, high quality HDR, and also works for watching movies). Based on what you're looking for I don't think you'd get the full value out of the G1 if you're mostly playing Hearthstone.
Good point.

If the OP is not going to be watching movies in a darkened room, why is he more interested in a WOLED instead of a burn-in-free MiniLED QLED/LCD?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good point.

If the OP is not going to be watching movies in a darkened room, why is he more interested in a WOLED instead of a burn-in-free MiniLED QLED/LCD?
That's what I'm wondering. The many benefits of an OLED panel simply would not be utilized by web browsing, playing Hearthstone, and a handful of other games. He should be able to find a relatively cheap but still high quality alternative where burn-in is a non-issue.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
That's what I'm wondering. The many benefits of an OLED panel simply would not be utilized by web browsing, playing Hearthstone, and a handful of other games. He should be able to find a relatively cheap but still high quality alternative where burn-in is a non-issue.
Yeah, depending on the importance of off-angle viewing (sounds low for his use-case), and whether he plays with some lights on or in the pitch black, the LG QNEDs or Samsung NeoQLEDs seem like a much better fit (or even a TCL 6-Series if budget is a concern).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Budget is not a concern, the alternative is a QN900A. I actually ordered the 85" QN900A but the carrier lost it so I was revaluating my options. I do play other games, Hearthstone is just my largest time sink. Sounds like I should stick to LCD as burn-in is a non-zero risk for my extreme usage case even with the advancements made.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Thanks. Budget is not a concern, the alternative is a QN900A. I actually ordered the 85" QN900A but the carrier lost it so I was revaluating my options. I do play other games, Hearthstone is just my largest time sink. Sounds like I should stick to LCD as burn-in is a non-zero risk for my extreme usage case even with the advancements made.
Yeah, the point is that for your use case, a WOLED TV really isn’t going to give you anything much better…

So even if the risk of burn-in is exceedingly low, why take any risk at all?

If you said you occasionally watch high-quality content in a darkened room, my suggestion would be different…

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get the OLED. I play Battlefield One, cranked up in HDR / Game Mode for 2 hours a day on average on a 65B7A and see no evidence of burn in. 4 year old tech

2-3 hours a day @ 50 percent brightness won't do anything to the panel.

You could play for years and won't notice a problem.

The benefits of OLED far outweigh a Samsung QLED which can't hold a candle to OLED, especially in darker rooms.

There is a reason why Samsung is paying LG for OLED panels.

Do it and you won't look back.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have played, in HDR mode (90 OLED Light), ~152 Hours Cyberpunk, ~271Hours of Assassins creed, and around 200+ hours of Control+MetroExodus+HZD+NFSHeat, but always had my OLED protections turned on. So, far with over 2500 hours of mixed usage, I am still looking at it the way it was the first time I unboxed it.

When I play on the weekends, I play 5-6 hour stretches same game, same GUI elements on screen.

Not to victim blame, but I don't think this is entirely an OLED fault. There has to be something that could have been handled better to avoid it.

Reactions: Bumrush

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Over 13K+ hours on my LG B6. About 1/3 of time spent on video games. Over 3K hours on HDR gaming. 2K hours were on Monster Hunter World/Iceborne. Screen is still even and no signs of burn in.

I had an ISF calibration a few months after buying the TV. My OLED light was set to 100 for HDR content.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Based on experience with burn-in on LG OLED. Not a problem, but should something "go wrong" they replace the panel for free with no questions asked :)

My previous LG B7 showed some weak signs, and I reached out to LG which came and replaced the panel.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As a former c7 owner and as a former avid daily hearthstone player I did not experience this type of burn in. I also played a ton of static element sports games.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think OLED is for you. Just as I would not recommend an OLED display to someone who would be using it primarily to cable news, I would not recommend an OLED display to someone who was using it primarily to play one game with stationary on screen elements for thousands of hours. There are plenty of cheaper displays that will give you very nice image quality without the potential for burn in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get the OLED. MiniLED is crap in game mode. Even Asus’ $3k mini LED monitor suffers from it when the display has to balance between input lag and local dimming aggressiveness.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Personally I don't find much objective and recent information to base my own OLED decision around. The Rtings testing appears the most thorough to me, so I'd be interested to see how the most recent panels compare to their prior testing. If you're okay with the G1 price premium, and the potential cost of labor for a panel replacement, it seems like a reasonable OLED option to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I still think the G1 is overkill since you're not going to be experiencing any of the elements and features that make an OLED so great for gaming and watching movies, but if you're hell bent on getting one I would at least recommend exploring other content on the device. If price isn't an issue for you I would think you could also afford to get a decent UHD player and some 4K/UHD discs. I would consider looking into it, and depending on what types of games you like maybe consider picking up some titles like RE:Village, Doom Eternal, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider that have good HDR implementation and look stunning on an OLED display. I've gamed for thousands of hours on several different OLEDs without issues so I'm not too concerned about burn-in, but I also know that there are some games that really don't benefit from this kind of display and Hearthstone and similar games just won't look or play much different on an OLED than other, cheaper options.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just wanna chime in and say I have a C9 that's used as a PC monitor for productivity, gaming, and obviously movies which currently has over 7,000 hours on it and I have no signs of burn in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts