AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts

I had contact with the store about the aspect ratio bug.

They told me that there was nothing wrong with the beamer because the specs said the resolution is 1280x800 and that is was logical that the beamer mapped all video formats to this resolution. I told them that because of this the video gets stretched verticaly... they said "what's wrong with that?"... i said "it's ugly!"... then they said "well, that's a matter of taste"... seriously?

what isn't, they obviously do not care. you could try calling Lg, but I guess it would lead you nowhere. cant believe LG would make such a bummer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Grafish, if it's not to late, could you explain me how to do a test with the AVS HD 709 Calibration files. Because I really don't know how to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@danna2509

You can download the calibration test i used here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 . Or perhaps you own a Disney Blu-ray? I think there’s a calibration test on all of them. Another quick check is the Paramount logo at the beginning of a movie, the stars should form a circle and not a oval. And do the check on the HDMI input, content from USB has the correct aspect ratio. And could you check your firmware version for me?

Good

Bad

I thought the aspect ratio bug was my biggest problem with this beamer. I now have two!

Everything is converted to 60Hz, maybe this is tolerable for some people as this gives you the standard 3:2 pulldown judder, but not for me because we Europeans always had nice smooth video because of the 4% PAL speedup
And talking about PAL.. all my 25fps PAL content look terrible @60Hz. They invented 3:2 pulldown for [email protected], but there’s no such thing for [email protected] so video (for me) is unwatchable. I would expect that all video players sold in Europe should have decent 50Hz output.

Come on LG it’s 2011.. give us real 23.976/24/25Hz output!

Does anyone with a earlier model LG LED beamer know if their beamer has real 23.976/24/25Hz output?

I still own the beamer because if i want to return the beamer i have to pay because the store thinks there’s nothing wrong with it and for having used it more than 30 minutes... even though it's a LED beamer. So now i'm trying to get some info from LG about the HW300Y aspect ratio and refresh rate specifications. Getting to talk someone about my problems is not that easy as the HW300Y is not officially sold here in the Netherlands. But if i'm lucky someone from LG Benelux with connections to LG Korea is giving me a call tomorrow... to be continued.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graafish /forum/post/20911856

@danna2509

Everything is converted to 60Hz, maybe this is tolerable for some people as this gives you the standard 3:2 pulldown judder, but not for me because we Europeans always had nice smooth video because of the 4% PAL speedup
And talking about PAL.. all my 25fps PAL content look terrible @60Hz. They invented 3:2 pulldown for [email protected], but there's no such thing for [email protected] so video (for me) is unwatchable. I would expect that all video players sold in Europe should have decent 50Hz output.

Graafish -

I dont' understand very well this jutter problem, does it happen with all content?

I'm also in Europe (Spain) and will receive the beamer soon, so I am worried about this.

I will use the projector mainly for PC, XBOX and downloaded movies, so maybe this content doesn't apply??

Please let us know what they tell you about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased the LG HW300G and I can confirm the issue with the aspect ratio does occur. All HDMI input on standard resolutions(1080p,720p etc) is stretched vertically to 1280x800, a 16:10 ratio. The projector aspect ratio settings appear to do very little.

The only way I could make it display correctly was to use a non standard resolution over HDMI, something thats possible with my PC's Nvidia card. Outputting 1280X800 from my PC displays the correct aspect ratio.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope the stretching issue is fixable through a firmware update otherwise this is a big letdown.

What the heck LG?

Also, if anyone who has the projector already would post some videos, thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Rossy1234

Good to know that this problem is now confirmed by others.

Could you also check if you have real 23.976/24/25Hz output?

Still haven't heard anything back from LG.

In the HW300Y i have the option to check for new firmware updates and install them.

Do you have an option on the HW300G to update the firmware from USB?

@jose6

Do a search on judder on AVSforum... there's loads of information on that topic.

Sadly, yes it happened on all the content i tried

Downloaded movies are most of the time 23.976Hz and will be converted to 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown.

If you never had a capable 24p display you probably used to this kind of judder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
surly they would have implemented those features, ore addressed those limitations if they where available in the hardware. wounder why I haven't noticed these issues, or why no one have mentioned them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
graafish:

I cannot find an option to update the firmware. The manual actaully says(mine is the hw300g):

Updating theProjector Firmware

This function is for the HW300Y/

HW301Y only.

I don't know about refresh rate, it appears to me to only do frequencies around 60Hz.

I'm thinking I should have bought the vivitek qumi instead now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graafish
Sadly, yes it happened on all the content i tried

Downloaded movies are most of the time 23.976Hz and will be converted to 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown.
Thanks Graafish. This is very disappointing, I've cancelled now my pre-order.

I think for the moment I'm not going to buy any, I was thinking about buying the qumi but it has focus problems and is much more expensive here in Spain than in the US.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its a real shame. LG has the potential for the best IQ out of all the pico pj, but these are two huge blunders.

For those following the Qumi thread, it was discovered that a 1080p input produced much better picture than 720p. Makes sense, as this pico DLP chipset is more like 1080p Lite than 720p becuse of the diamond pixels (can resolve full 1920 lines or full 1080 lines, but not both at the same time). So can we conclude then that the LG is handcuffing the true potential of this chipset by forcing 1280x800?

Seems like this would be the perfect pj if we could take the firmware/scaling of the Vivitek and put it in the LG. We would then have the best of both worlds (no lens, focus type issues like the Qumi).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
has any one run this thru a pc and used 1280x800 as out put?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat
has any one run this thru a pc and used 1280x800 as out put?
If you use this resolution it works fine, there's no stretching of the image.

I just came across this vid which some of you might find interesting - Vivitek Qumi vs. LG HW300Y. You need to search youtube for it as I can't post URL's.

I think the incorrect aspect ratio is visible in the vid on the LG HW300Y.

The focus on the HW300G is good - even across the screen and it does not alter from cold startup to hot running. There is chromatic aberration though, which seems to be a issue with all these small sized projectors.

If anyone can find out information from LG about a fix to the aspect ratio problem, please post it.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb /forum/post/20953881

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCYzu6IhbSc

Definitely ad hoc and surely not a just/professional comparison, so be very subjective. You can most definitely see the image being stretched, it makes mademoiselle's neck look like a giraffe on the LG.

Based on the "refresh" effect of both projectors, is it fair to say that the Qumi is not refreshing as fast as the LG? You can see the refresh line on the LG, but it moves very slowly whereas the Qumi goes through it relatively quickly?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossy1234 /forum/post/20953758

I think the incorrect aspect ratio is visible in the vid on the LG HW300Y.

Indeed wrong aspect ratio, look at Paramount logo at 8:04

And refresh rate on the HW300Y is sadly always 60Hz.

Still waiting for LG to answer my questions.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Some more interesting news : the true resolution of the HD PICO chipset is 1140x912 pixels according to a recent press release from NEC, NOT 1280x800 pixels as stated by TI !

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/20956052

Some more interesting news : the true resolution of the HD PICO chipset is 1140x912 pixels according to a recent press release from NEC, NOT 1280x800 pixels as stated by TI !

Well, it is "1280x800" for all perceptible purposes.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I still have the LG HX300 so I can wait out a little longer for maybe next year a true full HD 1080 P Led will come out.

January is 4 months away anyway to see if one is coming to the market.

141 - 160 of 696 Posts