AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nate Mook, Editor-in-Chief, BetaNews: LG may have a difficult time bringing its newly announced BH100 hybrid Blu-ray and HD DVD player to the market, BetaNews has learned, because it will not receive certification from the DVD Forum. Without such certification, LG cannot publicly claim the player supports HD DVD as it is doing now.

The problem stems from the lack of support for HDi, the advanced interactivity technology used by HD DVD. LG has only included support for BD-J, Blu-ray's interactive menu system, in the BH100. Without HDi, only the video content from HD DVD discs will play back; menu systems and other interactive features will simply not be usable.

Kevin Collins, Microsoft's representative for the HD DVD group who sits on all the steering committees, says LG will not be able to sell the product and claim it supports the format if it leaves out HDi. Collins said LG provided no advance notice before announcing the BH100 player at CES, and noted he was surprised by the move.

In fact, Collins explained to BetaNews that the DVD Forum could pursue legal action against LG for claiming the hybrid player supports the HD DVD and using the HD DVD logo, just like it does against pirate hardware manufacturers in Asia that build DVD players without paying licensing fees.

LG plans to begin selling the BH100 in the first quarter of this year for $1,199 USD. But objections from Microsoft's Collins and other companies involved in HD DVD could force LG to make changes, or scrap the player altogether. Collins noted that studios would be "very upset" if consumers could not playback HD DVD movies as they were intended, with interactive menus and special features.

BetaNews was awaiting a response from LG on the matter by press time.

· Registered
8,368 Posts
1) Old news.

2) LG could sell it, but just not include the HD DVD logo.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Couldn't you just say it supports "both major HD formats" or something like that to get around it?

· Registered
8,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP /forum/post/0

Couldn't you just say it supports "both major HD formats" or something like that to get around it?

I'm sure they'll just have some creative marketing if they indeed do release it as is.

· Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,187 Posts
Even if they COULD sell it as is, would you even WANT something that cannot use all of the HD DVD features? Not me.

· Registered
25,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite /forum/post/0

Even if they COULD sell it as is, would you even WANT something that cannot use all of the HD DVD features? Not me.

Yea ! No ****e. This is not anything but a step down from having two players. Why the hell would you want a player that cost that much that doesn't even allow you to use the menus ?

Art

· Registered
8,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite /forum/post/0

I don't want it either.

I was just refuting the claim in the original post.

· Registered
3,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphyle /forum/post/0

In fact, Collins explained to BetaNews that the DVD Forum could pursue legal action against LG for claiming the hybrid player supports the HD DVD and using the HD DVD logo, just like it does against pirate hardware manufacturers in Asia that build DVD players without paying licensing fees.

I kinda wish this would happen. When the player was first announced I got a little excited until the details started coming out. This player is just really a Blu-Ray player with handicapped HD DVD support tacked on at the last minute just for the purpose of selling a few more players. LG knew that no one would pay $1200 for a LG BD player so, they quickly added HD DVD support to make the price seem more reasonable IMO. If you are going to make a dual format player then do it right and make one that fully supports both formats. Not this half a$$ed attempt from LG.

· Registered
2,226 Posts
if this is the case that it would not be able to access special features then i don't see buying this as an option unless this was

the cheapest player available

i only wanted blu ray and get limited hd dvd support for free

as an hd dvd player owner i would rather buy a ps3 for blu ray support and if

i needed an extra hd dvd player i would get the cheap cheap 360 add on (already have the 360)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.