AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
$1200 may be a bit much for people primarily interested in HD-DVD since it does not fully support that. But, it is a fully functional BD player and it's price is comparable to the stand-alone BD players. If it gets good reviews on BD playback, there might be plenty people who would choose this over a BD-only stand-alone player just so they could also watch some HD-DVDs. I am waiting for the thread that has the list of HD-DVD's that it can and cannot play.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

$1200 is a no go.

They sold 25k of the $1000.00 BR players. Its not much more of a jump to get this one for those folks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's competition is the comparably priced Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer BD-only players. For about the same price, you can also play some HD-DVDs. The main issue is which HD-DVDs can it play and which can it not play.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Though a few people say that the LG is comparable in price to Blu-ray players last I checked you could actually buy a Blu-ray player for less than half the MSRP of the LG. I think the only people who might be interested in the LG are those that are optimistic about what it can do as a Blu-ray player, who want to be able to play HD DVD discs, and who do not care much about interactivity. There will certainly be people like that but I don't see there being that many of them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I wonder why LG didn't do it right and include HDi support. That's probably a no-sale for most enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Because the SoC is apparently not powerful enough to support HDi CPU requirements.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Prehapps it will work, but HDi just won't do anything when selected or say option not avlibile. Well I'm glad I've got the A1, which does it of course...

I'd think if some one buys this on impuse they could get angry when a few months down the road they decide to watch a HDi extra and nothing happpens...

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/0

Though a few people say that the LG is comparable in price to Blu-ray players last I checked you could actually buy a Blu-ray player for less than half the MSRP of the LG. I think the only people who might be interested in the LG are those that are optimistic about what it can do as a Blu-ray player, who want to be able to play HD DVD discs, and who do not care much about interactivity. There will certainly be people like that but I don't see there being that many of them.

At this point, I would definately have interest in a dual-format player... but the LG unit is just too much for too little. If I'm going to spend extra money for the HD-DVD option, it should work. The idea that an HD-DVD disc might or might not work on the player just defeats the purpose of making a multiformat player. For $1200, I could get a PS3 and a Toshiba player and still have ~$150 left in my pocket.

Having said that, I still want to hear about the PQ and AQ of the LG player. And, if a better combo player is announced by one of the other mfrs, I'll be wanting that sucker.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yawn....

C'mon who's going to shell out $1,200 clams for an LG player anyway, no matter what features it offers. I'm waitin for the big hitters to enter the fray with combo's.

Denon in particular, so I could be waiting for a while. Guess my HD-A1 and PS3 will have to suffice for now.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would.

Since I like BD Better. And I also own alot of HD DVD.

BD is the Burger and Fries.

HD DVD is the salad.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/0

I would.

Since I like BD Better. And I also own alot of HD DVD.

BD is the Burger and Fries.

HD DVD is the salad.

Considering most BD discs are anorexic looking, I'd say THEY are the salad.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Has anyone really played with this yet?

I am curious if the player support Dolby TrueHD with Blu-Ray discs, or only with HD DVD.

Same question for all the audio codecs really. Does it provide the same audio codec support with each disc type?

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_r /forum/post/0

I wounder if they will be able to upgrade the player with iHD in a FW update. Maybe they just did not have time to get that in before the release date.

I was told that was not possible at CES. It doesn't have the processing power to CPU silicon to support HDi. Their next model probably will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.