AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any comments on this set. I am looking into it. Should be out this month. website LGUSA.com They have a 60 and 52 inch.

LG Electronics is a division of LG Group, which is headquartered in Seoul, Korea. LG Electronics began manufacturing refrigerators in 1965 and air conditioners in 1968. Today, LG Electronics has over 72 subsidiaries and 55,000 employees around the world. LG Electronics is broken down into 5 major business units covering a multitude of consumer and business-to-business products:

DIGITAL DISPLAY & MEDIA COMPANY PDPs, monitors, CD-ROM drives, DVD-ROM drives, CD re-writable recorders, VCRs, DVD players, audio products, security systems, recordable media, video phones, PC cameras, and automatic banking systems.

DIGITAL APPLIANCE COMPANY Air conditioners, refrigerators, microwave ovens, washer/dryer machines, vacuum cleaners, compressors for air conditioners, and compressors for refrigerators.

INFORMTAION & COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS COMPANY TDX, STAREX, optical switching systems, implementation of advanced IBS (Information Building System), System Integration (SI) services, etc.

MOBILE HANDSET COMPANY Handsets for satellite, cellular, mobile multimedia, and IMT-2000 services.

LG TELEVISIONS The future of TV has arrived. LG is opening the world of digital displays with cutting edge technology in the form of Plasma, LCD, high definition rear projection and set top boxes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've seen ads for these televisions, and briefly seen a RP LCD unit in the store (didn't look at it critically though).

Keep in mind that what I say here about LG could probably be said about Samsung, who is making a well regarded DLP set right now :)

LG I believe is "Lucky Goldstar" or just "Goldstar". Yup. Poor reputation trading on that old name. However, that is just a reputation. LG as noted makes some pretty crazy tv units.

Regarding company reputation, just remember that Samsung still isn't that highly regarded in general, nor is Hyundai (remember the Pony?). FWIW though Hyundai apparently now makes some pretty decent vehicles (although I'd still rather not be in one :) ). Samsung's DLP is speaking for itself.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
LG was Lucky Goldstar and is now LG.

They are, like Samsung, a major up-and-comer.

I would not disregard them so quickly.

Their last plasmas were awful, the new ones are looking very interesting.

I would expect this LCD RPTV to be another decent contender in a very crowded market.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.