AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 47" LG about 5 months ago and noticed lately it started making a clicking sound like when you smack your lips.. It happens every 15 to 40 minutes randomly and from what I've read online it might be caused by bad capacitors.

I also read that it's easy to fix yourself my question is have any of you tried to fix a bad capacitor yourself before and did it work? I've never soldered before but am thinking it might not be that hard?.

I bought the unit opened box from amazon so am not sure if am even covered by LG for warranty

·
Registered
16,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinx /forum/post/20842232

I bought a 47" LG about 5 months ago and noticed lately it started making a clicking sound like when you smack your lips.. It happens every 15 to 40 minutes randomly and from what I've read online it might be caused by bad capacitors.

I also read that it's easy to fix yourself my question is have any of you tried to fix a bad capacitor yourself before and did it work? I've never soldered before but am thinking it might not be that hard?.

I bought the unit opened box from amazon so am not sure if am even covered by LG for warranty

Did you register your tv with LG? That may be all you need to be covered under the 1 year warranty. I know there are others who have successfully re-soldered bad capacitors on other brands of tvs (never heard of that problem on an LG..) but if you don't have experience soldering pc boards you could really screw it up. Why would you buy a tv without the manufacturer's one year warranty anyway?

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
I just read in another thread about the Samsung "click of death" which is related to bad capacitors and sounds like your problem. The poster's fix was to call Samsung even though his tv was out of warranty and give them the serial number. Samsung acknowledged that his serial number range had bad capacitors and if he could produce the original receipt, they would send someone out, one time, to replace the capacitors free of charge. His set has been trouble-free since. Might not be a bad idea to call LG and see what they have to say if you determine that you really aren't covered by any warranty because you bought an open box item.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinx /forum/post/20842232

Can't you check your paperwork from Amazon or the papers from LG that came with the TV? Even if it was "open box" you should have something that tells you what kind of warranty the TV has/had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazon offered a 1 yr extended warranty with Square Trade for open box items I didn't get it since i've had good luck with other refurbished LCD's I figured an LG woudn't give me problems.

I registered the product online hopefully if it stops working I can get it fixed for free if not i'll try to fix it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts