AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything wrong with an LG LCD? I have been looking at the 26LX1D. The price has dropped considerably and is now close to my budget. Is there anything wrong with it? Is the warranty upheld? Are LG LCD's comparable to those from Samsung, Sharp, and Sony? Will this TV last as long as those company's LCD's do? If someone could answer some of these questions, it would help me greatly in my purchase. Also, if someone has a great price for this TV, please post.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
well heres the thing, lg and phillips are one in the same and the phillips as far as lcd goes usually is the better buy in all areas of performance. One thing i dont understand is when retail stores such as best buy run sales and free item offers on their sets, lg is usually noted as excluded from these deals, why i do not know. you might want to look into that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Newer Syntax Olevia TVs (the ones with Super in plane switching, and 178 degreee viewing angles) use panels from the joint venture of Syntax and LG phillips. The LT32HVE I just got even uses an LG remote code.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
LG.Philips is one of the true global giants in LCD TV production and all other forms of LCDs. Their products of state of the art in the LCD world.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymy
Newer Syntax Olevia TVs (the ones with Super in plane switching, and 178 degreee viewing angles) use panels from the joint venture of Syntax and LG phillips. The LT32HVE I just got even uses an LG remote code.
All correct aside from the fact I highly doubt Syntax has a JV with LG. More than likely they are just purchasing their panels.

·
Registered
142 Posts
@ TauRus

Bah, your probably right. I thought I had seen that pharase used, but can't find the source. I've been suffering information overload, trying to pick the best TV for me, and probably got stuff jumbled. In any case these Super IPS panels definately lead in the viewing angle category.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was considering an LG 32" set for my bedroom. I went to Circuit City to check it out. I also saw the smaller LGs. LG's sets are inexpensive, have a nice look with the black frame, and have a ton of features including the TV Guide, Cable Card slot, media reader, etc. But when I saw the picture, it looked...well dark. The dark areas of the screen, for example a shadow, looked much darker than other screens. The screen as a whole seemed dimmer and the colors looked different than the other screens. The blue sky was much bluer and the clear ocean waters of the Carribean looked...well much darker blue. Now I am not sure if that means it was more realistic, but it sure looked "funky" when compared to the surrounding sets. Since then I have set my sights on the Sharp model with similar features. I really like the LG price though.

Have you seen the set? And what do you think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was at circuit city like 2 days ago just browsing the LCD and PLasma panels since i came in for another product. Well i saw the LG with others and was like hmmm why is LG so expensive the picture is alright but for the price i would go with the equal priced LCD next to it becuase the picture looked way better. So i contunie for another 45 minutes looking around then i turn around after looking at all the plasmas and i saw this one LCD sitting there with the most B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L picture i have seen on an LCD and needless to say it was an LG of all brands. I was surprised to find that out but also happy becuase the last LG dissappointed me. I think the LG i saw is not one you are looking at becuase it was a 32' or 37" model. So yah you need to check it out but i would trust LG, but you need to see it in person and decide if it is the one for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I picked up the 42LP-1D from Home Theater Store two weeks ago. I also recently picked up a Philips 7320 37" LCD. Overall, the Philips has a slightly better picture (after numerous AVIA and DVE sessions with both sets), but both are pretty livable. The Philips just seems to have a little more punch to the image on DVD and has about the best SD picture I've seen from a flat panel set. The LG has a superb picture with OTA HD, has a great DVD picture, but looks a little softer than the Philips with SD. Some of the difference in SD is probably attributable to the larger panel on the LG set. Black levels are a skosh better on the Philips but both sets are acceptable once adjusted using the menu controls.

Feature-wise, the LG has TV guide and a 15-pin RGB input in addition to the HDMI input. The TV guide is a nice feature. The Philips is pretty basic, simple menus and no frills, but it works, and it has two HDMI inputs.

Styling-wise, the LG is a work of art and looks great above the fireplace. The Philips looks nice, but the silver plastic around the speakers and gray plastic on the back looks a little cheesy. The LG looks and feels high dollar (which it is) and the Philips looks mass-market (which it is).

I like both sets - the LG is big enough to enjoy from the kitchen (looking across the family room) and the Philips is perfect in the bedroom. As with most consumer electronics purchases, it comes down to which one you prefer in terms of features, price, picture, and sound. I don't think anyone would be going wrong with either one.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley
I was considering an LG 32" set for my bedroom. I went to Circuit City to check it out. I also saw the smaller LGs. LG's sets are inexpensive, have a nice look with the black frame, and have a ton of features including the TV Guide, Cable Card slot, media reader, etc. But when I saw the picture, it looked...well dark. The dark areas of the screen, for example a shadow, looked much darker than other screens. The screen as a whole seemed dimmer and the colors looked different than the other screens. The blue sky was much bluer and the clear ocean waters of the Carribean looked...well much darker blue. Now I am not sure if that means it was more realistic, but it sure looked "funky" when compared to the surrounding sets. Since then I have set my sights on the Sharp model with similar features. I really like the LG price though.

Have you seen the set? And what do you think?
I was recently looking into lcd's at CC and the LG 32" is definitely not as bright as some of the others, but the colors were also far less washed out and more realistic to my eye. The sharp 32" has a significant red push that bothered me even with the tint turned greenside at 7 but is available at an unprecedented price, which made it a real contender. I tried to adjust the settings on several different brands to get them to match color contrast and brightness but that turned out to be a challenge. I ended up buying the 32 LX1D--I saw the lack of brightess in comparison to the others as a benefit providing realistic "untweaked" colors (analogy: others seemed like a car stereo with the treble turned way too high). In my bedroom, it is extremely bright even with the contrast and brightness set in the 40-50 range. I have yet to calibrate it with dve, but I expect that will provide some additional benefit.

Ultimately, you may like the sharp or (more likely) the 32" panasonic or sammy if you like a brighter picture--they all look great in their own way. I guess it is a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the 26" LCD and am pleased with it. Got it for less than 1300. It has some quirks on turn on though. Sometimes the TV Guide screen comes up blank on turn on and then you get nothing, you have to turn it off for a minute. It also sometimes switches to channel 2 after being on for about 10 seconds. Minor quibbles as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought an LG 26LX1D LCD TV, and I like it a lot, but I think there is a fan that operates all the time, and I cannot live with a TV (or any piece of electronics) that makes audible noise when it's "off." I've just emailed LG at their website asking if this behavior is a defect. I expect a moronic or even automated reply from web-based emails to big companies, so after I get a reply I expect to call LG and try to talk to a human with brains. I did not find "noise" or "fan" in this thread, so I thought I should mention this issue. I wonder if the TV Guide feature is what works continuously and needs the fan; the TV Guide feature doesn't work for me anyway (I don't care much about that feature, but I don't see how to disable it). I could try unplugging the TV instead of turning it off -- a big inconvenience, but unless I can turn off the fan, I won't keep the TV. If unplugging it for long periods of time causes it to lose some setup information, it will be too inconvenient. I've read that some DLP sets run a fan all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
People who are comparing the picture (audio) quality of sets on a showroom floor need to make sure that the video (audio) settings are at default or at least reasonable settings before making judgments. At places like Circuit City and BestBuy, customers are allowed to fiddle with the controls. This is great, since it lets you see various features first hand, and figure out how easy to use the on-screen menus and so on are. But you can also walk away after making adjustments which leave the set looking (sounding) far worse than the sets around it.

I also sometimes wonder whether the quality of the signal distributed to the various TVs on a discount retailer's shelf varies significantly. But that is a separate issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift
I just bought an LG 26LX1D LCD TV, and I like it a lot, but I think there is a fan that operates all the time, [...] I've just emailed LG at their website asking if this behavior is a defect. I expect a moronic or even automated reply from web-based emails to big companies, so after I get a reply I expect to call LG and try to talk to a human with brains.
To my surprise, I got a reply later the same day from a person who appears actually to have read my inquiry. I will have to go listen to the noise again (I'm not with the TV now) before I accept that it may not be a fan noise.

"This television was designed not to need a cooling fan. What you are hearing is most likely the power supply. Please call 1-800-243-0000, for assistance. There, an agent will be able to provide you with proper warranty service."

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought the LG 32LX1D and I am very happy with it. It is very bright to the point that I use the Normal or Night setting instead of Daytime EasyPic setting. My TV guide works correctly all of the time.

You will not regret getting the LG unit.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:
To my surprise, I got a reply later the same day from a person who appears actually to have read my inquiry. I will have to go listen to the noise again (I'm not with the TV now) before I accept that it may not be a fan noise.

"This television was designed not to need a cooling fan. What you are hearing is most likely the power supply. Please call 1-800-243-0000, for assistance. There, an agent will be able to provide you with proper warranty service."

It would be useful for all of us who have purchased LG's for you to let us know how your dealings with customer service go--I have heard good things about LG's customer service--I think everyone would be interested in hearing about your experience if you are willing to share...

also--great comments about in store TV comparisons--if you are really attempting to do a comparison, you have to take care to adjust settings. It is impossible to actually have an appropriately calibrated display (actually not impossible but I think they would be worried about sales with displays that didn't have contrast, brightness, and color at 100%). I guess that means that there is no actual level playing field one can use for comparison other than to make sure the one you get has settings that are capable of meeting your standard of a great picture.

With that said, it does feel a bit freakish to go and obsessively adjust 3 or 4 sets. It seems that will get you a few odd looks from their staff--then again, that's probably resentment for knowing what you are doing--how often do their sales staff go through and adjust settings to show you what the picures should look like, if they even know themselves?

It seems like people asssume that having properly calibrated displays would hurt sales--I would be interested if anyone has actually researched that--it would be really great if you could go into a store and see the picture for what it really is at its best. I persornally would be more likely to shop at a store where they did that. anyone else?

·
Registered
92 Posts
They are wrong. I also have a 32LX1D and after a couple months, the fan went bad. The authorized repair shop I went to immediately said "power supply" when I said it made the noise whether the set was on or not. A new power supply did not fix the problem. I took it back in and helped the guy disassemble the back, and sure enough, the culprit was(is) a cheap fan mounted next to the CableCard slot directed to blow air across this slot (and I suppose create an updraft across the electronics in the center of the back??). When he called LG, they insisted there was no fan (no fan listed anyware in the parts list, but it does list a "fan mount") and had him take a picture of it. LG Parts research has had it for over 2 months now. Now I try to escalate the problem by calling customer service, and since they don't have any replacements, they are trying to force me to accept a buy back (I bought this at cost through a special deal 2 states away and can not replace it at anyware near the same cost) or cancel my case (and start over).

During this time, the repair shop had another call with the same issue (on the same model). Since their TV was brand new, they just returned it to the place they bought it.

-- Rob

Quote:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.