AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha RX-V781 (Have owned Denon, Pioneer) - Sony XBR-75X940E - Klipsch RP-280FA/CDT-5800-C II
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suprised there hasn't been much discussion about these new LG units.


I've been waiting for them and they just appeared today on the LG website.


Built in Blu-Ray, HDMI inputs and some impressive streaming capabilities. Prices seem reasonable as well.


I'm going to get the LHB535... middle of the road.

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...tems/index.jsp


Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I've been waiting for the lhb975 to come out. I'm interested in the wireless speakers that it says it has. I contacted LG customer service yesterday to find out when they were going to start shipping the product to retail outlets. After some lengthy hold music, the customer service representative told me it would be shipping around April 1st.


I had to email customer service about a week ago. The .pdf spec file on lge.com stated lhb975 had wireless rear speakers & subwoofer on the front page. However, in the actual specs, under amplifier/speaker section, the subwoofer speaker type states Wireless/Powered. The rear speaker types only stated satellite. I wanted to know if it was a misprint on the wireless rear speakers. Customer service wrote back that the only wireless speakers were the rear speakers. The subwoofer was not wireless. Now I'm really confused.


Before all of the what is wireless and what is not wireless came about I did some checking and the only online retailer I can find taking per-orders would be at JR.com . At the time they were discounting the item by about 50.00 from the MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
TRR -

I got to listen to the LG LHB335 at Best Buy. I was impressed by the sound of the little system and started to look into LG HTIBs - I originally was not considering LG, but thought about some of the other "usual suspects" - Samsung, Sony, even Panasonic. After researching other LG HTIBs (earlier models) and seeing the positive reviews I decided that I also wanted the LG LHB975, for a few reasons - bigger front speakers, stands included for the front speakers, "wireless" rear speakers.


So then I waited for the LG LHB975 to become available for purchase... and waited... and waited...


FINALLY it is available for pre-order at Amazon.com... also at $50 off MSRP.


Now, how long am I going to have to wait before Logitech programs this system into their firmware for the Harmony One?!?!


UPDATE (April 9, 2010) - I received good advice in the Harmony One thread here on AVSForum on how I might get around the programming issues with the LHB975. Wish me luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I just bought the lg lhb335. I was pretty impressed by the sound when I first heard it in a best buy store 2 weeks ago (then again, i've been listening to sound via my lg lcd tv for a year now so I probably don't know any better...)


I would've loved to get the lhb535 but I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped to my house (my 335 was in instant gratification/impulse buy). The lhb975 looks tempting, too but if I had $800-$900 to spend i'd probably be building a surround sound system piece by piece
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Tocino -


Good to hear that you had good experience with the 335. My experience with the 335 pushed me into looking further into LG and helped me discover the LG LHB975. Please keep us up-to-date with your experiences with the 335, whether or not they continue to be good... better.... etc


It is true that $800 is a bit much to spend on a HTIB. Here's how I justify spending the $800 for the LG LHB975 over the $375 I would have spent on the LG LHB335.


Let's start with the price of the LHB335 and add in the extras you get with the LHB975 and guesstimate the price of each extra if you were to add it to the 335.


LG LHB335 = $375

+Wi-Fi = $80 (some price this as high as $100)

+Wireless functionality to speakers = $100 (at least)

+Included front stands = $25

+Additional HDMI Input = $25 (at least)

+Better Speakers (not just wireless - bigger) = $100 to $200 (or more)


So... we're already at $705 to $805 by adding the features I want to the 335.


Then there's the idea of getting everything I want in one box and not having to shop around for separate components (Blu Ray, Receiver, speakers)... and not having to run extra wires for a receiver... etc.


For me, not being the hugest audiophile techie in the world, I think this system is worth it.


I'll let you know what I think when I actually have received it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighn /forum/post/18459425


Tocino -


Good to hear that you had good experience with the 335. My experience with the 335 pushed me into looking further into LG and helped me discover the LG LHB975. Please keep us up-to-date with your experiences with the 335, whether or not they continue to be good... better.... etc


It is true that $800 is a bit much to spend on a HTIB. Here's how I justify spending the $800 for the LG LHB975 over the $375 I would have spent on the LG LHB335.


Let's start with the price of the LHB335 and add in the extras you get with the LHB975 and guesstimate the price of each extra if you were to add it to the 335.


LG LHB335 = $375

+Wi-Fi = $80 (some price this as high as $100)

+Wireless functionality to speakers = $100 (at least)

+Included front stands = $25

+Additional HDMI Input = $25 (at least)

+Better Speakers (not just wireless - bigger) = $100 to $200 (or more)


So... we're already at $705 to $805 by adding the features I want to the 335.


Then there's the idea of getting everything I want in one box and not having to shop around for separate components (Blu Ray, Receiver, speakers)... and not having to run extra wires for a receiver... etc.


For me, not being the hugest audiophile techie in the world, I think this system is worth it.


I'll let you know what I think when I actually have received it!

yeah, i understand the appeal of having an all in one box system. it's the reason why i decided to buy the 335. i was tired of listening to games, movies, tv via the tv speakers but I wasn't ready to commit the $1000 i would need to build the system I really wanted. since part of the cost was covered by hoarded gift cards i only paid about $260 out of pocket for a machine that I liked. Its going to end up in my bedroom at some point when I do an upgrade again in another year or three.


I'll keep you updated on the system. I ran cod:mw2 for a few hours yesterday via my ps3. it was pretty awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocino /forum/post/18460796


yeah, i understand the appeal of having an all in one box system. it's the reason why i decided to buy the 335. i was tired of listening to games, movies, tv via the tv speakers but I wasn't ready to commit the $1000 i would need to build the system I really wanted. since part of the cost was covered by hoarded gift cards i only paid about $260 out of pocket for a machine that I liked. Its going to end up in my bedroom at some point when I do an upgrade again in another year or three.


I'll keep you updated on the system. I ran cod:mw2 for a few hours yesterday via my ps3. it was pretty awesome!

I feel you on those Gift Cards! That's part of the reason I'm buying through Amazon. That and the Amazon Credit Card I just picked up, which really has one of the better rewards programs for Credit Cards - you don't have to trade your points in for Gift Cards - you can trade it in for Cash, too.


It gives you 3% back for all Amazon purchases... if you're like me, that adds up, quick. And Amazon has some of the best prices on SOME products, NOT all. I definitely do some comparison. For example, when I bought my Logitech Harmony One, it was $237 at Best Buy, and only $179.99 at Amazon. Since then I've only found one place with it cheaper... and that was only by a few dollars.


Google shopping is a great way to run comparisons, too.


Anyway... I didn't mean for this to turn into an advertisement for Google and Amazon, but I'm very "train of thought" sometimes!


Glad to hear that the LG LHB335 is performing well. I saw some other reviews where people were having problems. I'm hoping that those are the exception and not the rule... or just the "complainer syndrome" - people are often more inclined to take the time to write a negative review than a positive review.


Thanks for taking the time to share on here. A lot of times people are too busy enjoying their new products to do anything else!
 

·
Registered
Yamaha RX-V781 (Have owned Denon, Pioneer) - Sony XBR-75X940E - Klipsch RP-280FA/CDT-5800-C II
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighn /forum/post/18459465


PacBellGuy - did you ever pick up that LG LHB535? How has it been treating you? Good, I hope!!

It just showed up last week. I've had little time to really get it set up.


First thing that happened is the wiring for the rear speakers is too short for my needs, which aren't extreme.


My bedroom is probably 14x14 and I don't have enough length to run along the baseboard from one rear speaker to the unit.


So I'll have to go and buy some thin speaker wire... probably around 20 gauge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy /forum/post/18469172


It just showed up last week. I've had little time to really get it set up.


First thing that happened is the wiring for the rear speakers is too short for my needs, which aren't extreme.


My bedroom is probably 14x14 and I don't have enough length to run along the baseboard from one rear speaker to the unit.


So I'll have to go and buy some thin speaker wire... probably around 20 gauge

That sucks! Hope you can get it up and running, soon.


Please let us know how it works once everything is set up.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
hey i know to eu HB905 line is the same as the us lhb335/535!


so here my quwestion!

a friend of me has the hb905sa but two of the boxes whistle/make noise after about 10-15 minutes, even it is on wich nothing playing!


the seakers are front right and rear right!

He thinks it is because of the cooling fan (it is alwys on when it happens , he says)


Has any one the same problems?

how can he solve this??


Thanks for helping!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by game007 /forum/post/18486405


hey i know to eu HB905 line is the same as the us lhb335/535!


so here my quwestion!

a friend of me has the hb905sa but two of the boxes whistle/make noise after about 10-15 minutes, even it is on wich nothing playing!


the seakers are front right and rear right!

He thinks it is because of the cooling fan (it is alwys on when it happens , he says)


Has any one the same problems?

how can he solve this??


Thanks for helping!!

I don't know if the HB905 is the same as the LHB535 or the LHB335 but I have seen reviews that state that this has been a problem for one of these models.


As far as I know, LG is aware of this problem and will fix if you send it back. I wish I could remember the site where I read this review.


So far I have seen very mixed reviews on both the 335 and 535... either very, very positive reviews or very, very negative reviews. I'm hoping that LG will have these issues ironed out in their new, "top of the line" HTIB, the LG LHB975.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
*UPDATE 4/19/10*


I've been very happy with my 335 so far. I now have my cable box hooked up via optical cable since it doesn't have an HDMI out (my ps3 is occupying my lone port anyways). However, i have noticed on two separate occasions where I was watching a bluray disc and it would jump in the middle of a scene to another one farther into the movie. It doesn't happen to every movie I've put in it, the ones it happend to were the new sherlock holmes movie with robert downey jr (good one!) and gamer with gerard butler (meh...). I've played other bluray and regular dvd discs where nothing happened. In fact if it did it just once i never would've brought it up. I haven't experienced that buzzing or high-pitched whine that other people have mentioned and I don't feel like repacking it so I can bring it back to best buy so I'll continue to just do research on it and maybe call LG's tech support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocino /forum/post/18507722


*UPDATE 4/19/10*


I've been very happy with my 335 so far. I now have my cable box hooked up via optical cable since it doesn't have an HDMI out (my ps3 is occupying my lone port anyways). However, i have noticed on two separate occasions where I was watching a bluray disc and it would jump in the middle of a scene to another one farther into the movie. It doesn't happen to every movie I've put in it, the ones it happend to were the new sherlock holmes movie with robert downey jr (good one!) and gamer with gerard butler (meh...). I've played other bluray and regular dvd discs where nothing happened. In fact if it did it just once i never would've brought it up. I haven't experienced that buzzing or high-pitched whine that other people have mentioned and I don't feel like repacking it so I can bring it back to best buy so I'll continue to just do research on it and maybe call LG's tech support.

tocino - (mostly) good to hear. I'm glad you're not getting the whining, but I don't like to hear that you've got some skipping going on.


I'm still waiting on the LG LHB975... looks like TRR is/was waiting for it, too.


I've put in my pre-order to Amazon but still have no actual idea on when it will be available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
well, to be honest. I may return it anyways. I was looking at the some of the receivers on the bestbuy website today and noticed that they're going to carry the new pioneer 3d receivers. The vsx-920 and 1020 have especially caught my eye. My brother is willing to give me the speakers from his old kenwood surround sound set or I can jump on that deal on vanns and get the jamo 5.1 speaker set for ~$200. The skipping thing scares me if it gets worse down the road. My PS3 has been pretty rock-solid in the movie watching arena so it's not like I'll be without a bluray player if I do return it


hmmm... decisions, decisions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Tocino - I want to love all of these systems (because I'm going to be receiving my LG LHB975 in the next week or so) but I wouldn't keep mine if it was having that problem... especially since it seems like you have an alternative or better solution (in some ways) at around the same price.


Also, you probably already know this, but to make sure:

You can watch Netflix on PS3 (you just need to order their disk).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I am one of the people who had trouble with an LG LHB535 and noisy audio.


I returned the unit to LG for repair - and based on the report back they verified the noisy audio and replaced the amp PCB. It didn't fix my problem and just reduced the noise.


The main issue is you can hear it during any quiet moments or low volume moments of any source - optical, hdmi, internal netcast or even when muted.


I am returning the unit for a refund - I don't have that yet.


Others I have talked with have also returned it to LG and the problem continued. I would be happy with the product if it didn't have the audio problems I have experienced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
So I have the 335 and when I try to access Pandora via the I-Pod when it is plugged in to the port, it does not work...it'll play the audio for about a second and then reverts to the last played song on your playlist.


Since the 335 is wired, there is no way I can reach my router from the gameroom...I was hoping to at least get Pandora via the I-pod wireless connection but no joy...hopefully a firmware update will come out soon.




Good news though, I have no whistling/whining sound out of my speakers.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top