AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading the Owner's Manual, it recommends setting the DVI level switch to "Standard" for CRT displays and "Expand" for Digital displays (DLP/LCD). Since I haven't seen it discussed, what is the consensus on this setting?

I have the box hooked to a Sony KF60XBR800 (GWII). I like the DVI level set to expand.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Standard probably indicates the DVI-Video standard where black is 16 and white is 240. "Expand" is probably the PC DVI standard where black is 0 and white is 255.

If that is true, the correct setting for any display (unless the display is locked to the PC settings and doesn't have brightness and contrast) would be the Standard settting. Then adjust the TV's brightness to get the black level right.

If you adjust the TV's brightness control properly for however it is set it should pretty much end up looking the same.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have experimented with both, and the standard is WAY better. I know that the Manual indicates "Expand for Digital Monitors", however, they don't REALLY mean that....

The post above is correct in what the Manual should say. It CAN be confusion, however, in Expand mode, there is NO deatail in the Blacks, and the picture takes on a very 'hard' look....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.