AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this soundbar? I got an amazing deal on it brand new and pulled the trigger. $249 to be exact. It retails for $500-$600. It will be hooked up to our 4k LG tv. Going to use sound sync as well. How is that? Sounds like a really cool feature if it actually works well?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anyone have this soundbar? I got an amazing deal on it brand new and pulled the trigger. $249 to be exact. It retails for $500-$600. It will be hooked up to our 4k LG tv. Going to use sound sync as well. How is that? Sounds like a really cool feature if it actually works well?
GO FOR IT!! I have the NB5541 hooked up via ARC with my new LG OLED TV. The interface (sound link) is superb and the control is like the soundbar is part of the TV. Very happy with my purchase. I also got it at a significant discount as part of the TV purchase, very close to your price.

The soundbar audio quality is excellent. Hard to discern the surround sound since the LG clips HDMI dolby 5.1 to PCM

My only issue is it does not pass thru another HDMI source unless you change the soundbar function to HDMI. But when you do that, the soundbar is no longer a speaker to the LG TV since the TV shifts back to internal speakers. The NB5541 also supports sound sync \bluetooth but the audio quality is less than ARC hookup (HDMI)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't doubt you. Just curious. How do you know for sure using the wireless feature is less then HDMI ARC sound quality wise? For now. I am using HDMI ARC as well with my LG 4k. I don't know if its a issue or just the way it is. But, I really have to crank this thing up to get decent sound? Especially when watching a movie. I have to play it at about 50. That seems really high as the soundbar only goes up to 100 max. Imo, even at 50. That is not pushing the soundbar. My previous soundbar a Samsung HW-H550 that I moved into another room. It went up to 50 and at half way. It was pretty loud.

The Samsung absolutely wipes the floor compared to the LG. My jaw literally hit the floor and I could not believe how bad it sounds compared to the Sammy. And they want $599 at retail for this LG? I would be super pissed if I paid that only to hear how bad it sounds. It would be going right back. But, for the price I paid. I don't mind and it matches well with my new LG 4k tv.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't doubt you. Just curious. How do you know for sure using the wireless feature is less then HDMI ARC sound quality wise?
I listened to both and the ARC sounds better. Mids have a better tone and better bass I assume the wireless version is similar to your car hookup to a iPhone. Bluetooth quality is less than connecting your iPhone via USB to the car

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried hooking up the soundbar directly to the direct sources? Man oh man. What a difference in sound. I hooked up my Directv Genie HR44 dvr box to optical and my PS4 to HDMI. Both directly to the soundbar. Also set both to dolby digital. It is a major difference in sound. You should really try it. The tv pcm 2.0 stereo makes it sound really cheap. Now it has a richness and warmth to it if that makes sense to you. Also shows DD 2.1 instead of PCM 2.0. Makes sense since the sub is involved. I guess really the tv audio (HDMI ARC/Optical) is for a soundbar with no sub that is certainly only 2.0 Now it sounds like a real soundbar with sub.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you tried hooking up the soundbar directly to the direct sources? Man oh man. What a difference in sound. I hooked up my Directv Genie HR44 dvr box to optical and my PS4 to HDMI. Both directly to the soundbar. Also set both to dolby digital. It is a major difference in sound. You should really try it. The tv pcm 2.0 stereo makes it sound really cheap. Now it has a richness and warmth to it if that makes sense to you. Also shows DD 2.1 instead of PCM 2.0. Makes sense since the sub is involved. I guess really the tv audio (HDMI ARC/Optical) is for a soundbar with no sub that is certainly only 2.0 Now it sounds like a real soundbar with sub.
Have you figured out how to hook a HDMI source to the sound bar and still have ARC TV audio feed the sound bar at the same time? During my setup, I was unable to get a HDMI source through the sound bar when the sound bar was set for ARC. To get the source to work, I would have to change the sound bar function to HDMI, which turns off the ARC and the TV reverts to internal speakers

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the NB5541 is the similar to the NB5540, avoid it! It sounds very harsh in the high end, lacks mids and has a terribly integrated subwoofer.
I agree the sound bar mid tones have no depth, but the BASS is impressive and I thought the subwoofer integration was great, In my home, I moved the subwoofer to the opposite side of the room, approx 20feet away and found the bass worked much better, to the point I had to decrease the sub woofer volume to a "1"

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you figured out how to hook a HDMI source to the sound bar and still have ARC TV audio feed the sound bar at the same time? During my setup, I was unable to get a HDMI source through the sound bar when the sound bar was set for ARC. To get the source to work, I would have to change the sound bar function to HDMI, which turns off the ARC and the TV reverts to internal speakers
Sounds right and seems to be working as designed? Mine does the exact same thing. Reason being the selection back to tv speaker. Its for all the smart tv app stuff works. For you can still get sound. Because when using actual sources plugged into optical/hdmi to soundbar. You will not get sound with smart apps from the tv. Now if you continue to use ARC with out hooking up sources directly so soundbar. You also still get sound through apps with the soundbar. But, as I said before. The sound quality is night and day. Between ARC and sources actually hooked up to soundbar. Then selecting Dolby Digital. No doubt the sub is a beast. It is very strong. When you hook up sources directly. You even have to further tame it. I had to set mine at -5

·
Registered
1 Posts
ARC Functionality

I want to hook my NB5541 up using ARC and directly hook up my blu-ray player as well. My first question is, does ARC carry the sound from all inputs to the sound bar or just the sound coming from the TV itself (i.e. the smart tv apps)? Secondly, I have a Samsung 3D blu ray player that upscales content to 4K and I want to plug it up directly to the amp. Will the 5541 carry a 4K signal internally and pass it on to the TV or will it only handle 1080p?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts