AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AVSForum Community- I've been doing much research over the past few weeks, and have narrowed down my search to one of the following 65/75 inch units:

• LG 65-OLEDB6P
  • Sony XBR65-930D
  • Sony XBR75-940D

With respect to the LG B6, my concerns are possibly burn-in and performance in bright-room conditions. As for the Sony 930D, my concerns relate to gray uniformity, light bleed, blooming, and this pesky "bent frame" issue plaguing the 65. Lastly, there wasn't nearly as much review content on the 940D as the other two units, but I suspect there might similar concerns as the 930D but on a lesser scale.

My primary uses for the TV will be watching my favorite movies (streaming and disc-based content in both 4K/non4K) as well as sports.

Where my situation gets a bit unique is pricing...

While I face the prospect of paying full price for the LG (~$3,500, albeit tax-free), I can acquire the 930D for only $1,875 (normally ~$2,500), and the 940D for $3,375 (normally ~$4,500).

With the Sony price reductions taken into consideration, I wanted to get valuable input from the community on where my money would be best placed -- a full priced LG, or a steeply discounted Sony.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and feedback!

*PS, the last thing I want is to start an "LG versus Sony" flame war, so please keep the responses respectful, relevant, and fact-based.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
B6P is one of the best displays ever made, only surpassed by other OLEDs if that helps.

940D is nowhere close. 930D is junk compared to the B6P.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I agree that the 930D isn't even an option to compare to a B6.

You *could* compare the 940D to the B6 but the B6 will definitely win in overall PQ.

The only question you have to answer is if you need the extra 10" of screen size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
"With respect to the LG B6, my concerns are possibly burn-in and performance in bright-room conditions."

Matty, fear not. I had the same concerns. My wife watches CNN from the time she wakes up to the time I take over in the evening. I had fears abut that black area that runs the news on the bottom of the screen in CNN, but so far I have never seen anything close to burn-in. Kudos to LG engineering.

We never watch anything in the dark. Our living room has wide east side windows 20 ft high and west side windows from the floor up to the ceiling. On top of it, we have large patio door opposite of the tv. All I can say is we're delighted about this tv suppressing reflections much better than the our previous two Sony flat panels in the same living room spot and there is no contest about the pq even in bright lights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can do better on the 65" B6, under $3K brand new from a reputable online forum sponsor (CP). If you're a returns type of guy then buy local although you'll pay a premium.

I tried "settling" for other options, ended up with the B6 and love it. TV is in a room with a south and west facing window, no issues with brightness and does a respectable job on reflections.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can do better on the 65" B6, under $3K brand new from a reputable online forum sponsor (CP). If you're a returns type of guy then buy local although you'll pay a premium.

I tried "settling" for other options, ended up with the B6 and love it. TV is in a room with a south and west facing window, no issues with brightness and does a respectable job on reflections.
I'm admittedly dense, can you please be specific about who sells them under $3K?

·
Registered
95 Posts

I'm admittedly dense, can you please be specific about who sells them under $3K?
Sure. Cleveland Plasma is reputable, but you'll need email Chris for a price. ielectrica is another seller that has good reviews on Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, if you look close there are a lot of sellers selling used TVs that happen to be brand new :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
It comes down to what @BigCoolJesus said. Do you want the bigger size or the "oled look." I own the 940D, almost replaced it with a Z9D and spent a lot of time looking at the LG 2016 oled sets. For me it came down to the fact that I did not want to give up 10" of size and the 940D was the best compromise in terms of price/performance in the larger sizes. Imho only the Z9 and the LG 77" G6 compare (some may argue the Samsung flagship as well but I can't stand curved screens). The pricing on the 940D is so fantastic right now that imho it's the smart buy over the Z9 and certainly the LG 77". Especially given all the unknowns around how HDR and HFR will evolve. I'm sticking with my 940D for now and will be looking to see what happens at ces next year.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It comes down to what @BigCoolJesus said. Do you want the bigger size or the "oled look." I own the 940D, almost replaced it with a Z9D and spent a lot of time looking at the LG 2016 oled sets. For me it came down to the fact that I did not want to give up 10" of size and the 940D was the best compromise in terms of price/performance in the larger sizes. Imho only the Z9 and the LG 77" G6 compare (some may argue the Samsung flagship as well but I can't stand curved screens). The pricing on the 940D is so fantastic right now that imho it's the smart buy over the Z9 and certainly the LG 77". Especially given all the unknowns around how HDR and HFR will evolve. I'm sticking with my 940D for now and will be looking to see what happens at ces next year.
Very well said.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone's responses...you'll be happy to know I went with the LG 65" B6 :)

I purchased through Cleveland Plasma/AV -- great price, and hoping that was a wise decision. Many on these forums and elsewhere seem to have nothing but great things to say about them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very well said.
But what if I want a tv in my budget under $3k, can only be 65" max, and I can't afford to replace every time someone comes out with a new trick. I kept holding out, but now my old tv is dead. 930d and LG C6 are at the top of my list, but open to other suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
But what if I want a tv in my budget under $3k, can only be 65" max, and I can't afford to replace every time someone comes out with a new trick. I kept holding out, but now my old tv is dead. 930d and LG C6 are at the top of my list, but open to other suggestions.
Uhhh...that's the B6 or C6.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Hello AVSForum Community- I've been doing much research over the past few weeks, and have narrowed down my search to one of the following 65/75 inch units:

• LG 65-OLEDB6P
  • Sony XBR65-930D
  • Sony XBR75-940D

With respect to the LG B6, my concerns are possibly burn-in and performance in bright-room conditions. As for the Sony 930D, my concerns relate to gray uniformity, light bleed, blooming, and this pesky "bent frame" issue plaguing the 65. Lastly, there wasn't nearly as much review content on the 940D as the other two units, but I suspect there might similar concerns as the 930D but on a lesser scale.

My primary uses for the TV will be watching my favorite movies (streaming and disc-based content in both 4K/non4K) as well as sports.

Where my situation gets a bit unique is pricing...

While I face the prospect of paying full price for the LG (~$3,500, albeit tax-free), I can acquire the 930D for only $1,875 (normally ~$2,500), and the 940D for $3,375 (normally ~$4,500).

With the Sony price reductions taken into consideration, I wanted to get valuable input from the community on where my money would be best placed -- a full priced LG, or a steeply discounted Sony.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and feedback!

*PS, the last thing I want is to start an "LG versus Sony" flame war, so please keep the responses respectful, relevant, and fact-based.
If you're not sensitive to motion judder the B6 hands down. I did a side by side with the 930 for an entire weekend and the B6 blew it out of the water. However, after making my decision and keeping the B6, I've come to regret it due to the sensitivity of motion I have with this set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts